Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ren Cen Construction Video « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across this video for your enjoyment last night:
http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-4392838077781205512
And a look at the 1970s Detroit:
http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-7783536806679012622

Comments?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT VIDS... I loved the wet chick coming out the water lol...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 832
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did that thing say on the top of the Penobscot? CND?

Psip

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CNB
City National Bank... they had sig rights for the Penobscot building.
IMO that sign was a real eyesore.

(Message edited by PSIP on October 07, 2006)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great video. We should make some like it today.

What is the basis for their comment that Detroit was the 4th largest banking center in the world? Is that because of GMAC, etc.?

I've never been more convinced that building's design stinks. Yet, I still love the old lady.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What awesome video's Psip! Thanks for sharing!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3620
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Creepy music though

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Detroit was the fourth largest finacial center in the world........what happened? 313

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, great video. RenCen sure looked impressive coming up on the riverfront. Too bad it didn't quite live up to the hype...

I love the use of that weird electronica version of Thus Spake Zarathustra. The use of that piece in this video pre-dates its most recognizable use in the Peter Sellers film Being There by about 9 years.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music was a jazz rendition by Maynard Ferguson of the music to 2001: A Space Odessey.

The film could not have been produced in 1970. Mayor Young was in the film and did not take office until January 1974.

(Message edited by royce on October 07, 2006)

Psip

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Royce, I should have put a
"s" after the 1970. My bad!
Thanks for the info about the music. I was wondering about it.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That version of Also Spake Zarathustra was done by Eumir Deodato, a Brazilian keyboardist.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great. I think Detroit should still actively use 1970's style promotional videos like this.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite thing is that the Ren Cen logo (shown at the end) hasn't changed in 30 years.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 863
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renaissance Center enriches the vision I have of society and myself.

And that's awesome.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there on opening day in 1977 at the ribbon cutting ceremony. There was a gaggle of security folks around CAY and Henry Ford II.

I remember being blown away by the sheer vastness of the place back then.

In those days you could take the office tower elevators to any floor, because there was no security stopping you. I remember taking the elevators to the 38th floor of Tower 100, and seeing the massive 2 story fireplace in the tall 2 story vestibule of the Manufacturers Bank HQ (since merged with Comerica). Today that space is the GM executive offices and boardroom.

And in those days you had free unhampered access to the 72nd floor observation pods.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed the Saks 5th Ave in the video. I did not know there was a downtown location. Safe to assume it was on Washington Blvd?

Psip

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saks was in the New Center area, on Second.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow!!! Great videos. I especially enjoyed the one on the RenCen. I can really relate to that one since I was actually there during those groundbreaking ceremonies back in (I believe it was) 1973. That was my first year as a member of the Cass Tech Symphony Band, which can be seen for a few quick moments during the first few minutes of the clip. That was one of my music teachers, Jack Shelby, directing the band. I do remember that event from time to time, it was nice visiting it again, even if it was for only a few seconds.

It's funny, back then I really didn't have much of a clue as to what we were playing for. It was awesome watching the RenCen develop and take shape over the next few years. I even decided to stop by during the ribbon cutting ceremonies in April 1977. I remember it was the closest I had ever come in contact with the Coleman A. Young.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah where did they get that "4th largest financial center in the world" comment from? maybe they meant the in the US at the time because I find that hard to believe. The one thing I like about the ren cen is compared to alot of other buildings built in the 70's such as Sears Tower, the late WTC, and others it still looks kind of cool and sorta futuristic. I just wish it was built taller.

Wasnt a rail station that was used for commuter trips at the site or nearby the ren cen?

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Walking is the best way to enjoy the city."
"A major city with a small time atmosphere."
Right on!

One funny thing though, the first video says John Portman's Renaissance center will be unlike any other building...but then later it talks about the Peachtree center which is very similar.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's got the "Welcome to your city" TV spot?

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else see Jimmy Hoffa being dropped into one of those tower footings?

Sorry, probably poor taste.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to the berm that was up in front?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 597
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esp, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.

If not, you should know that the ugly and much-reviled berms used to house some of the HVAC equipment for the complex. The fortress or bunker-like environment created by the berms became a case study for architecture and planning students on how not to site a mega complex in an urban setting. In the last decade, GM spent tens of millions of dollars reconfiguring the Jefferson Avenue entrance to the Ren Cen and in the course of these changes the berms were removed. While pedestrian connectivity to the Ren Cen from the rest of the CBD is still rather poor because of the width of Jefferson Avenue, the removal of the berms and other GM changes have improved things dramatically.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rencen.jpg

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just an old quick-n-dirty pshop. That thing still looks to me like it's about to blast off.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT VIDS... I loved the wet chick coming out the water lol...

Thanx visiondetroit, who says great minds DON'T think alike (lol).

1 thing I want 2 say about them vids, y'all.....

OFF THE (EXPLETIVE)CHAIN!!!!!!!

Psip

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have come across yet another pre construction video extolling the virtues of the Rer Cen. This film has many shots of the model and conception drawings. There is a lot of footage of the riverfront before construction including the Grand Trunk yard.
Forgive the black holes in the footage, this may have been a rough cut for review.

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-7003595503597868176

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.