Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Who knows about Sprinter Vans? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4384
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has spotted Sprinter vans badged DODGE, MERCEDES, and FREIGHTLINER. Why 3 names?

Where are they made, how much do they cost, and why are the plumbers and the parcel services buying them? You see them alot now.

Thanks, jjaba.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are mercedes GDM vans (german domestic market) vans. before the chrysler/mercedes merger ("of equals" lol!) mercedes owned freightliner, now that they own chrysler/dodge....well, dodge is much more palattable in some markets than the other two.

I don't know how much they cost, but they are better in that they have a taller, walkable roof height as compared to traditional US "B" vans

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba. Hope I can shed some light on this.

I believe originally they were Mercedes vans. Then, when D-B bought Chrysler, and Chrysler discontinued their Ram Vans (full size), they needed something to fill the hole. So they rebadged the Sprinter as a Dodge.

I've never seen them as freightliners. But it is a DCX brand, so I assume they badge some as Freightliners for those who buy them as delivery/fleet vehicles.

I belive they are all made in Germany.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great concept, 2.5 turbo-diesel for good mileage, lots of room. They have electrical problems that are almost unfixable. The word has gotten around and the resale value is like a Fiat or Renault, in other words, not good.

I would like to thank "It's Jeff", I think, for his photoshop poster of the leather clad WW2 bomber pilot holding a 250# bomb with Fortress Warren on it. I was born in Detroit, 7 and Southfield. Parents moved to Warren two years later. They're still there and a brother in the OC. Me and the other two offspring are 30 years in N.California. All of us for job related reasons; like that's something new for Detroit. Go Tigers!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum.

That was mine, by the way.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I tried to search the archives and couldn't find anything. Which software do you use? Compusa has adobe for $50 on sale.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4386
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, Fortress.
If we can keep to the subject of Sprinters, that would be peachy. Threadjacking is not advised.

Somebody mentioned that Sprinters are made in a Carolina to jjaba. True?

jjaba, Proudly NW Side.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently using PS7, but might be ugrading soon. I was using that thread to learn PS, still have a long way to go, there's so many things in that program.

The War with Livonia thread is in the Hall of Fame threads on the left side menu, under Lighter Side:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/67437.html?11429990 15

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Staying on message, Dusseldorf. I think I would wait a bit and see if they work out some of the glitches.The Germans have had a real run of problems with all the electrical gadgets they've been hanging on their product. BMW,M-B,Porsche have all gotten trashed in the J.D. Power quality surveys because of it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.