Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Five Rouge Park bids submitted « Previous Next »
Rouge park savedRamcharger11 11-01-06  9:51 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five Rouge Park bids submitted

Proposals range from $360,000 to $1.45M for either some or all five parcels the city will sell.

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061006/M ETRO/610060347

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, all that Kwame stands to make is around 2.3 million with this sale? What a cheap price for one the city’s jewels. An enlightened leader would be seeking ways to enhance an asset like Rouge Park, not selling it to one of his cronies or political backers on the cheap.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ram it is not just the land sale, keep in mind that tax base will increase; and thats money every year. Of course the cost of providing services may not go down proportionately. In addition, S of Warren Ave there is a new sub of Condos that sits empty! If those are empty who will buy these?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that some proposals include a church, Mosque, and school, which don't generate tax base. The article also notes that "Developers can likely get the land cheaper than buying in the suburbs and lobby for tax abatements for the new residents."

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The linked article says it all: Stuff being buitl in the burbs is not selling; what the hell makes people think these homes will?

Is selling off property really the way to solve Detroit's noney problems? The Mayor it seems has neither the clout or the will to reduce the city's bloated workforce.So instead he tries to sell of land; a temporary useless solution.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's stupid to sell Rouge Park and is not necessary to do to save the city of Detroit from going bankrupt.

On November 1, 2006 I will lose my SMART bus service because the city of Detroit's inability to run a decent public bus service.

This is discrimination and against our federal civil rights and disability laws.

So, Please Detroit residents and government, DO NOT sell Rouge Park and clean up your bus system first.

And please get SMART to come back to Livonia.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 693
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Trainman, you've said that you've got the experience, and could fill up all the busses yourself! Why do you need Detroit residents' help?

Also, what the hell does your dead horse have to do with the topic of this thread? Oh, never mind...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 857
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell that junkyard.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the mayor seeling the park to a developer? They aren't going to tear down the park and build condo's on it, is that the plan?

Trainman

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have the most cost effective mass transit system in the entire world in the Detroit area.

It's called the free enterprise system.

This days of Federal and State transit funds are history and they are not coming back

Ever again.

Unless, the voters have the courage to vote NO, to allow more city and county tax increases.

The sole purpose of DARTA was only to increase county taxes, which is why it is currently a failure.

I still ride full buses whichi I filled and NO, I don't need Detroit and I will always ride full buses as long as I work at my current job in the transportation industry.

Also, I fill up the trains which is why I'm Trainman.

So, just say filler up the next time you vote for a transit tax increase or renewal.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mayor is trying to sell the park to his father and his political cronies for far less than the land is worth. Most of the bids call for building condos and strip malls but there are brand new condos right across Warren Ave., in Dearborn Heights., that have sat unsold for months and dozens of vacant store fronts up and down Joy Rd. and Warren Ave., so obviously, the demand is not there. None of these plans will increase the city’s tax base for quite some time since anything built there will receive tax abetments for at least 12 years. Several of the bids require the city to build streets, sewers and other infrastructure so they will, in fact, end up costing the city millions. This plan is not only stupid, it is criminal!

Ray, what the hell is your problem? Please explain the rationale behind your position.

The City Council will hold a town meeting on the park sale at Lessenger Middle School, 8401 Trinity, near Joy Rd. Tuesday night at 7 p.m. Anyone with a valid opinion should come to the meeting and make their views known. I hope to see you there Ray.

Friends of Rouge Park protest sale of 115 acres of land

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if there aren't any vacant lots that can be developed.... On what planet is Kwame living?

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like Rackham Golf Course, this is another one of Kwame's stinks to high heaven deals. Appraisers suggest Rackham land is in the 20 Million dollar area yet Kwame wants to unload it for half it's value. Only Kwame and his cronies will profit from any of his deals.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just what Detroit needs, more homes that will sit vacant in a slow market and businesses that vill sit vacant in a slow economy...If they are going to re-develop it, why don't they try soemthing that benefits Detroit like an amusement park or outdoor concert venue....

Trainman

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Kwame that caused the Livonia SMART buses to shut down by telling the public that we need to tax hamburgers while he drove a big car and supported keeping the state fuel tax low and massive cuts in state transit funding. Kwame even supports the big multi-billion dollar freeway expansions which are getting funds from shutting down bus service in Livonia and Detroit.

Why do all you Detroiters put up with all this bullshit and not support my website which I no longer post because of lack of interest in attacking the big monster freeways and bigwigs that just want to give your city away, bulldoze over your houses to make room for more big red Lincolns without much a fight.

And you bus riders, why do you put up with the loss of bus service in Livonia when you all know that I’m fighting for Detroit in Lansing and will help you, if you support me and even if you don’t because I care.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of influence does Mayor Kilpatrick have over the voters of Livonia? If he has such respect why do they show up at meetings using terms like 'Detroiters' as euphanisms for negros?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, please don't lump the entire population of Livonia with Trainman, or with a couple of dumb comments from a couple people at a meeting.

Trainman

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplaner,

Kwame ran late buses into Livonia for years which caused a very low rider ship on SMART buses and over one hundred people complained to Livonia city hall including me.

Many attempts by me to contact Detroit city hall and Kwame failed.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The town hall meeting with the City Council concerning the sale of Rouge Park which was scheduled for tonight, Oct. 17 at 7:00 P.M. at Lessenger Middle School was canceled, supposedly due to a power failure even though there were lights on throughout the building. Several hundred people and a WDIV news crew were left standing in the parking lot. We were promised that the meeting would be rescheduled although no date has been set.

I think this was another attempt by the mayor to push this sale through under the radar, with little or no public debate.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?

Okay - I wasn't able to be there but had to go to another, previously scheduled meeting.

Anyway, for what it's worth - I would assume that it's the Mayor right away. The meeting was convened by the City Council. It's possible that he pulled a couple of strings, but City Council would've had to go along with it.

Oh, and let's not forget that the City Charter mandates a public hearing before any City asset can be disposed of.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it was the city planning commission that seemed to be in charge of the meeting and they were the ones who canceled it. The council must have had advanced warning of the cancellation, however, since not one of them showed up, nor did state representative Gabe Leland, who had assured me that he would attend. I have no doubt that there will be a meeting. I just feel that postponing the meeting was an attempt to throw the opposition into disarray.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tentative date for the rescheduled Town Hall Meeting has been set for October 30. A night which most Rouge Park supporters, having already committed to volunteer for the Mayor's Angel's Night Campaign, will not be able to attend. This will guarantee a low turnout. A coincidence, I think not.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit City Council Reschedules Public Hearing

Regarding Proposed Rouge Park Sale

Contact: Sally Petrella 313-271-1643 (alt. daytime # 313-792-9621)

Di Allgood 313-590-0268 www.rougepark.org

Who: Detroit City Council

What: Town Hall Meeting on proposed sale of 115 acres of Detroit's Rouge Park

When: Rescheduled for Wednesday November 1, 2006 7:00-8:30 pm

Where: Saint Thomas Aquinas School, 5845 Auburn Street (Corner of Ford Rd. & Evergreen Rd.), Detroit, MI 48228-3905

Why: Meeting had to be rescheduled after a power outage on October 17 at Lessenger Middle School forced the City to postpone the hearing. The hearing is being held at the request of the Friends of Rouge Park and others opposed to the sale of any part of this 1200 acre park, Detroit's largest.

On October 17, people arriving at Lessenger Middle School were disappointed to find the school dark and representatives from the City telling them the meeting was cancelled due to a power outage. They had been prepared to tell the Detroit City Council how they felt about the proposed sale of 115 acres of Rouge Park for development.

The power outage and the lack of City Council members did not stop several hundred concerned people from showing up anyway and holding a spontaneous, boisterous rally in support of their beloved Rouge Park. The crowd began waving lawn signs and broke into chants of “Save Rouge Park” and “We’ll Be Back” as WDIV Channel 4 arrived. The Friends of Rouge Park showed off over 2200 signatures on a petition opposing the sale of any part of the park.

A broad spectrum of City residents and park users are opposed to the sale and many were there to express their opposition. Homeowners from the adjacent neighborhoods and community organizations were there in force. Members of the Detroit Aero

Modelers model airplane club who have maintained a flying field in one of the parcels up for sale brought Alex Jefferson, a Tuskegee airman and club member in whose name the field has just been re-named by City Council resolution. Local boy scouts, students and parents from Lessenger Middle School (located in one of the parcels for sale), several clergy members, and hundreds of others were there ready to spell out their love for the park and their opposition to the sale.

There is very little support for this sale that the City says will help to plug budget holes, even within Detroit city government. On Thursday October 19, members of the Friends of Rouge Park presented their concerns to the Detroit Planning Commission. All nine of the commissioners expressed their opposition to the sale and their support for the group’s efforts to preserve the park. At a Tuesday meeting of the Greenways Initiative, Detroit City Planner Greg Parrish cautioned the group of over 250 attendees representing seven counties working on plans to increase green space, that the large park that forms a hub for trails is threatened. The City’s own Recreation Department points out that the proposed sale contradicts goals set in their recently updated Master Plan. After covering the spontaneous protest on Oct. 17, WDIV Channel 4 aired an editorial opposed to the sale on the Monday October 23 evening news.

Several City Councilmembers have already expressed opposition to the sale and the Friends of Rouge Park plan to convince all nine to oppose the sale and preserve this precious resource. The group believes the City of Detroit cannot afford to lose more residents, and their property tax dollars, by selling off what for them, is the main reason they live in the city – their beautiful 1200 acre park.

Paul Stark

(Message edited by Ramcharger on October 25, 2006)

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really makes you wonder if one day all city parks will be sold to the highest bidder. Our National parks may be next.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kwame ran late buses into Livonia for years which caused a very low rider ship on SMART buses and over one hundred people complained to Livonia city hall including me.

First off, since when has the City run SMART? Kwame has absolutly nothing to do with the late buses to Livonia.

quote:

Many attempts by me to contact Detroit city hall and Kwame failed.

Well duh, I wouldn't take time out of my schedule to talk to a crazy person. Well thats not exactly true for me considering I am going into psycholgy but you get the point.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE DID IT!!!!
Yesterday, Detroit City Recreation Department Director Loren Jackson announced at our meeting that the mayor has agreed to stop any deal to sell Rouge Park!!!

Detroit will preserve park

It is time to celebrate our success in saving the park from development, but...

Now the hard work begins.
The park has been saved from development for the moment but is still threatened by neglect, vandalism, and the lack of resources needed to make it into the world class park we all envision. We need your time, your vision and your ideas. Please stay involved in the Friends of Rouge Park and help us to make
Rouge Park a clean, safe, and attractive park that
the City would never dream of selling

(Message edited by Ramcharger on October 26, 2006)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has lots of Park Land they could put some other ones for sale, like Elizah Howell, leave the nice ones like Rouge Park and Belle Isle alone though, way to go City Council!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 845
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many acres open in the area just east of Eastern Market, and on several parts of the NE side of the city. I never understood the motivation behind building on that particular part of the Park. People who use that section of the park for their remote controlled planes, and soccer actually maintain it themselves (Mowing the lawn, trash removal, etc).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.