Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Bob Seger & Cobo Hall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any way we could do a DetroitYes online petition for Bob Seger to play Cobo Hall one last time? Any old memories from past shows in the Detroit area??

(Message edited by tarkus on October 04, 2006)

(Message edited by tarkus on October 04, 2006)

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First leg of the tour date released today and nothing in southeast detroit? Hopefully around the holidays he will have a few shows in city.

I'll sign the petition.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As I told everybody last night, I was reading in _Rolling Stone_ where they said, "Detroit audiences are the greatest rock & roll audiences in the world." I thought to myself,"Shit! I've known that for ten years!"
-Bob Seger

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any old memories from past shows in the Detroit area??

I stole my parents vinyl 'Nine Tonight' Live album when they got divorced in the 1990s and I just dug it out - here are the tracks on the album performed at Cobo:

Hollywood Nights (6/16/80)
Against the Wind (6/19/80)
The Fire Down Below (6/15/80)
Feel Like a Number (6/19/80)
Fire Lake (6/20/80) - one of my favorites
Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight (6/16/80)
We've got Tonight (6/21/80)
Night Moves (6/20/80)

The album jacket has a photo of the Cobo billboard that reads: Bob Seger and The Silver Bullett Band June 14 15 16 19 20 21

What an awesome concert series that must have been ...

The other songs on this album were performed at Boston Garden.

Inside the album cover it says "Special thanks to Gerard Smerek and everyone at Ambience Recordings, Farmington Hills, Michigan."

(Message edited by HYSTERIA on October 04, 2006)

Opus
Username: Opus

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Bob twice. Once in Toledo during the American Storm tour, then during his last tour at The Palace. I was amazed at how much energy there was coming off of the stage. Even then I figured he had gotten just a little too old to really put on a show, but he certainly proved me wrong that night. I don't think he would be able to get away with less than at least seven to ten nights this time around since there is little if any doubt this is probably their last hurrah.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First and only time seeing Seger - guest appearance at Kid Rock, Cobo Arena. Sang Rock 'N' Roll Never Forgets. I was standing next to Supersport going crazy. Year? 2004 or 2005, they all run together nowadays.

Anyway, I'm at every Seger show he plays in Detroit if I have to mortgage my house to do it.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I'm stupid - it was 2006, Super Bowl weekend. Getting old sucks, I tell ya...

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was only a few months ago. I'd suggest laying off the sauce or reconsidering the company you keep.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silverdome, June 1976--just me and 79,999 of my closest friends.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Seger...opening act for Bachman Turner Overdrive when they appeared at Cobo Arena in November 1974.

I've only seen him one other time...in early 1977(?) at Joe Louis Arena.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1969 Bowen field house..............heavy music, rambling gambling man, the last herd.......

Drm wait till you really get old........

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1970, The Chalet then again at the Birmingham Palladium. He was still playing Persecution Smith and East Side Story. Very high energy shows.

Citylover, you're right......

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silverdome, June 1976--just me and 79,999 of my closest friends.
------------------------------ ----------------

79.998....I don't know you. :-)

"A strange bill, in order of appearance: Pontiac Silverdome, 1976 - .38 Special, Elvin Bishop (right at the time of his only significant hit "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" with Mickey Thomas on vocals), Todd Rundgren & Utopia (?!?), and the hometown hero, Bob Seger. 70,000+ in attendance. Rundgren actually was great, but stylistically, he didn't fit at all. The audience was Seger-mad, and there was no hope for Todd. However, Seger got a taste of that himself right after. The reality check: two weeks later at the Civic Center in Baltimore, Maryland: Bob Seger, now opening for Kiss. After seeing Seger play for almost three hours to a rabid hometown crowd just a fortnight prior, it was shocking to see him perform for an indifferent (which is being charitable) crowd, for only 20 minutes, constantly looking over his shoulder at the huge KISS sign behind him during the set."

Bob played East Side Story that night.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aquinas High School-1969---cost $1.50 to get in. Yep, it's official. We're old now.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seger was my first concert. 1975 at Cobo hall on my birthday!!! That was AWSOME! Thats when he was recording the Live Bullet album, and when he said "Ok lets not everyone get hurt, move back a bit, we'll rock and roll for ya", I was right in front of the stage getting smashed and when the crowd lightened up enough my buddy and I were able to get out of there. Had a GREAT TIME!!! What a birthday present that was!!! I used to go to one of his shows at the beginning of his tour and one at the end. Seen him MANY times. And if he comes to Nashville this time, IM THERE!! Do we have a tour schedule yet?

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Douglasm

He was still playing Persecution Smith and East Side Story. Very high energy shows.

Wish I could have seen him for shows like that. His eary garage rock material is very good and has stood the test of time. The Michigan Brand Nuggets has the now classic Dr. Jack Van Impe intro to Heavy Music.

"Now get ready for a shock...."

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always liked Bob's music. Along with other Detroiters, he emergeged as very recognizable hometown talent. R n' R intially. Incorporate a few ballads. Eureka. A twist from MOTOWN. New fuel into a "different R n'R era". Start wherever you want. Remember the name before the fame. Before.. whatever. Excuse me, I sat in the Aspen Inn in Aspen, Co. in '72?...early.... could seat 250...50 only! Wow. Blew me away. Before the Night Moves, Hollywood Nights, A MUSICIAN....PERIOD. Could go on from here/cut..I have a recording from WABX on cassete that I cherish. It refers to every Freeway being flooded; basically "stay off the Freeways" '79 or '80. THEN... "you are listening to Detroit's ORIGINAL ROCK AND ROLL STATION....WABX....DETROIT"... .and into "Hollywood Nights".... (no one else has recording-it's DETROIT"..my luck..so simple..holds true for music, sports,

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feeling very old, Seger played at the 1969 Allen Park HS Homecoming Dance. I was also at that Aquinas HS show.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must excuse myself because I thought everyone knew Seger in'68 - 72". Wrong. My fault. Follow your memories...as YOU know them...tomorrows too!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r2aBOTNGWMY

Anyone remember the show (It's Happening) that this clip is from?

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My hubby ran the light show for Seger at his high school dance....way long time ago! Wasn't he a regular act at Sherwood Forest too?

Dang, no wonder he doesn't tour much, he paid his dues and put in his time on touring locally!

Douglasm

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama Jackson....
....am I getting Sherwood Forest and The Chalet mixed up? One of the two was a Punch Andrews run club....

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rambling Gamblin man was when he was with "The Bob Seger system". Before the silver bullet band. That doesnt even look like him. How we change. Wow!

Douglasm

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard the airplay cut of Seger's new CD today and was not impressed. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone get the feeling that much of his stuff in the past 20 years or so was overproduced? It doesn't seem to have any real "snap" or electricity to it, kinda like the master was run through the processor once to many times.....

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm - Sherwood Forest was in the Davison area, and I think (not sure at all) The Chalet was around Holly?

I found this site with a listing of posters from area rock concerts in SE area from 1967 - 1972. Lovin' the graphics! It doesn't have The Chalet listed. But there are a lot of concerts listing Bob Seger. He played all over Michigan.

http://www.motorcitymusicarchi ves.com/festivals.html

Has anyone ever been to the bar in Holly called The Crater? It had a moonscape decor theme, strobes, black lights, and raised dance floor. Had some times there! It seems kinda of appropriate, The Crater clsed and was turned into a drug treatment place in the 80's.....

It's ok you can't remember the two concert venues...if you can remember the 60's & 70's, you didn't really live 'em..........

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mama_jackson
I might be old(er) but I remember many of those shows, in particular "Black Magic and Rock & Roll Festival",
Olympia Stadium, Detroit.

The press was filled with rumours about a "Black Mass" at midnight when the Coven was scheduled to play.

Also great to see, as always, Gary Grimshaw's posters, haven't seen him since Skipper's (of "Skipper's Rule") Stray Dog closed.

If you check the archives you may find a Goose Lake thread, it was amazing to me to read what I didn't remember from the 3 days I was there, but as you said if you remember the..........Shit, what were we talking about?

Cozmikdebris
Username: Cozmikdebris

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a show where he opened for BTO, on Oct 11, 1974. I used to see him at Chances Are in Ann Arbor around that time, too. I was at one of the 'Live Bullet' shows, Sept 5, 1975 with Spirit. Next was in Feb '76 at Crisler Arena, opening for Foghat. These are just ones I remember. Last time I saw him I think was in 1979 at Pine Knob.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Bob playing at the VFW on Harper? near Eastland in 1967, maybe 1968. He had a couple of great house parties when his folks were away. My boyfriend would sub-drummer for him at the VFW. I'm having a flash back just thinking about those "dances" at the VFW.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.