Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Watching Tiger's Games From Afar... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skamour
Username: Skamour

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

So it is my luck that when the Tiger's make the playoffs, I am in rural China with bad beer and TV stations sympathetic only to the teachings of Marx. However, I do have a computer (the juxtapositions of technology here are fabulous!) with a pretty decent connection and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to watch the game from overseas on the web. I don't think I could stand 3 hours of refreshing Yahoo MLB box scores and the cost of MLB.com's $14.99 audio stream is more than I spend a month to live here. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about watching, but as far as listening both WXYT 1270 (Local broadcasters) and WDFN 1130 (National broadcasters) can be heard over the internet

Go Tigers.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either last year or the year before, Fox provided their audio feed along with video from the tiny, in-ground camera.

I moved to upstate NY in the midst of the Tigers' run in 1984; at least I could pick up WJR's signal most nights (not that even WJR would carry all the way to China ;-) )

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't even hear 1270 on Detroit's east side.

Rjk, are you sure sports broadcasts aren't blacked out on those station's live streams? It would make sense considering that it would compete w/ the MLB's pay-to-hear/view.

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we watch the games on the big screen at Comerica like we can at the Joe and Palace during the playoffs?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wang is from Taiwan...they might be showing it there.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that this radio station's website streams the games online for free:

http://www.961wmtr.com/

It's a tiny FM station from Archbold, OH. I don't think they're supposed to carry the games on the online stream, but apparently they do. Give it a try!

(Message edited by Kilgore_South on October 03, 2006)

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, thanks for the tips. I am watching/ listening from mexico. Would like to hear broadcasts online. If 1270 has them that would be great

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard from a buddy (not sure how credible) that games will be showing on the JLA screen for the ALCS and World Series, assuming that we make it that far, and that it does not conflict with Red Wings home games.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by fjw718 on October 03, 2006)

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the only way you can get MLB baseball radio broadcasts over the net is via the MLB paid service. I have tried to pick them up here in NM without success, and have resorted to using the Yahoo sports gameday (?) update. The same is also true for NFL games, not that the Lions are worth listening to.

Fjw718

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are backdoors out there

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd need help from someone stateside, but there are ways to stream video or audio on your own.

Check out www.slingbox.com for video. You can control your stateside TV from anywhere with an internet connection and watch streaming video.

I've also heard that you can create your own audio stream using something as low tech as a radio near your (stateside) computer's microphone, piped into a streaming service, perhaps shoutcast.

Both require assistance here, but maybe you can get that handled.

Fjw718

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sataline.com

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that ohio station suggested by kilgore seems to work. thanks!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's cool that 96.1 in Ohio has an on-line stream for the Tigers game. As an above poster stated, they're probably not supposed to be doing it but who cares. Bad thing is, Jim Price is still in the booth.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I am now listening to the 96.1 stream and watching the game on TV. Funny thing, the radio seems to be at least 12 seconds behind the TV.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.