Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » There are 155 Cities worse than Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Brookings Institute and the American Planning Association there are 155 cities in worse shape than Detroit. Many of them are "shockigly" not major cities but first ring SUBURBS!

The American Planning Association made it a big article in their monthly magazine Planning. Free registration is required to read the article:

Poor Relations - Suburbs that struggle
http://planning.org/planning/m ember/2006oct/poorrelations.ht m

Earlier this year, William Lucy, AICP, and David Phillips, AICP, professors of urban planning at the University of Virginia, looked at inner cities and their close-in suburbs in a new way. For a book called Tomorrow's Cities, Tomorrow's Suburbs (published in January by APA's Planners Press), they created a list of communities in 35 major metropolitan areas that — on paper at least — are worse off than Detroit. They picked Detroit as the basis of comparison because, in terms of per capita income relative to its metro area, it scores lower than all other big cities. To be worse off than Detroit means a per capita income of less than 60 percent of the metro area as a whole.

Using figures from the 2000 census and excluding cities with populations smaller than 2,000, the researchers found 155 in worse shape than Detroit — about 50 of them had dropped to that point during the 1990s. The list raises — without setting out to answer — some interesting questions: Where are these suburbs? What happened? And, as the mayor of one of them put it, "How do I get off this list?"

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter. The fact that all 155 cities are suburbs makes Detroit the worst major city in the country.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are three kinds of lies: (i) lies, (ii) damned lies, and (iii) statistics.

I believe the latter category applies to the conclusions in the article.

If true, it seems Detroit would be innundated with refugees from those cities who wish to improve their lives by moving here.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

San Jose is undoubtedly in better shape than detroit, but do I want to live in a contrived sprawled city without the historical and cultural heritage of detroit? no...it doesnt even have a skyline on emporis

thats just an example, but statistics arent definitive

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, that could be true, but then why don't people from Detroit and it's suburbs move on to better pastures? This area is honestly shit for jobs right now compared to the rest of North America and everyone knows it.

So why DON'T we move to better city? Lack of resources and the fact that you may have roots planted here. Like Apbest said, statistics aren't the end-all be-all of reasoning sometimes.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What suburbs of Detroit are of the 155?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who effing cares if there are 150 cities worse than us. Detroit still has problems and thats all that matters. Statistics are worthless when it comes to reality.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck is one city listed in the article. Richfield, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis and home to Best Buy, also made the list.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with with Wolverine. What good does it to compare to other cities. Action speaks louder than senseless words. Some people do get up and move when they get sick of it but others are not able to make such moves. There are many factors and to try and sum it up to why don't people just move is not well thought out statement. Hamtramck is a roach infested shithole. I would not consider hamtramck before detroit anyday.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sticks: 1000's of people ARE moving from Detroit. Many people who'd like to, can't.

The State of Wyoming is running tv ads geared toward laid off auto workers, and setting up job fairs in MI, to induce people to move to WY, primarily to work in the booming oil development business.

TX, where I have a business, is crying for workers, primarily, but not exclusivly, in its booming oil and related businesses. I see more and more MI license plates down there every month.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's put this in perspective.

The Economist did a study on the worlds 127 largest metro areas. Here is what they told me in response to my email:

Dear Ray:

Detroit was joint 42nd with a ranking of just 9% - which indicates no issues of liveability.

Best Regards

Jon

Jon Copestake
Editor, Cost of Living, Data Services
Chief Analyst: Food, beverages and tobacco The Economist Intelligence Unit
26 Red Lion Square
London
WC1R 4HQ
Tel: +44 (0)20 7576 8221
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7576 8485
E-mail joncopestake@eiu.com

So, the worst city in America has "no livability issues" per the Economist as compared to many cities in the third world. I think that's interesting.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get planning delivered to my house. I tried to read this article (the magazine includes more pictures, graphs e al.) I just could not figure this one out, what the signifigance was, or why Detroit scored the worst so they measured otrhers against the worst. The worst in what? I'm not saying Detroit is utopia, I know it is far from that. It has some terrible problems. But I could not figure out the point of comparing Chester, PA, a crack filled suburb, with Detroit.

I have always believed as Lowell does, that Detroit is a region that encompasses two countries, hundreds of cities, villages and townships. How can you compare that to a suburb? Carving out Detroit alone only makes sense as a municipal unit, it does not make sense as a culture or a economic entity.

Mani
Username: Mani

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean that Detroit encompasses two countries? What are you saying? Please elaborate?

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some consider windsor to be a part of our metropolitan area.

from wikipedia:

The name Detroit is also sometimes used as shorthand for the entire Metro Detroit area, a sprawling region with a population of 4,488,335 as of the 2005 Census Bureau estimates. The metropolitan population well exceeds 5 million when bordering Canadian city Windsor and its suburbs are counted.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What do you mean that Detroit encompasses two countries? What are you saying? Please elaborate?

You know - Juarez City, Mexico. The city across the river from Detroit.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry I thought the other country was Poland!

Windsor is that thing across the river? Wow that is amazing!

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck might be a shit-hole but at least the police show up when you call them.

At 8 this morning DPD had a some "stale" calls on the dispatch board at 200, 400, 500, and 700 minutes. (700 minutes is 11.6 hours fyi.)

Listen to the whole hour yourself:
http://hamtramckstar.com/scann er/MULTI-summary-2006100408000 6.mp3

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Port-au-Prince, Haiti is much worse the Detroit.
Recent visit there confirms that fact.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tijuana is worse than detroit!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is the best city in the world and if you don't agree,

Then move and you will learn that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

Think about this and ask yourself, what other city is better? Detroit has everything, cars, buses, trains, music, people from all over the world, fresh water and more.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about it people:

Would you rather live in Detroit or Baltimore?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, hands down.

Detroit has sooo much potential. Even Richard Florida (Creative Class guy) talks about it a lot. Sure we're doing terrible, but as he puts it our failure is almost inexplicable becauae we have so many freaking resources. We should be riding high.

The problem as Florida says and as I believe is CULTURAL. We have all these self-destrutive cultural mindsets, ranging from racial animosity, to anti-urbanism, to a really moribund business culture, to this statist 1970s union cluture. God, if the region could just wake the fuxk up and join the 21st centry, it could be the best place in the world to live in 25 years.

This is what drives me into being an embittered lunatic when it comes to the Detroit region. The pure self-destruction. It's just so unbelievingly frustrating.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I agree with you wholeheartedly on that Ray...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.