Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » When you could still smoke... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a wee youngster, me mum used to insist on being seated in the smoking section at restaraunts. I hated this because I had to wait in line longer and I hated breathing in smoke.

Now, when you go to a restaraunt, the line is longer for the non-smoking section.

My baby sister and I would constantly harp on our mom because of this, now we both have become smokers and non-smokers, and smokers/nonsmokers ...and on and on...

Now we laugh at how easy it was to smoke back in the day. I remember seeing folks smoke at the movies, Tiger Stadium, in movies, and at high school.

Now, it seems the only place that is safe to smoke is in your own private house that you own.(on my last lease, it was made quite clear that I couldn't smoke in the flat)

Any memories of "the good old days of 'free smoking'?.

Detroitej72

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm too young to remember the real good ol' days, but I do believe that Detroit today is much more smoker-friendly than a lot of places. I mean, in NYC and Chicago you can't even smoke in a bar.

I recall one of the many articles about Detroit during Superbowl XL said flat-out, "this is a city where people smoke." As if it were something novel.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Places you can't smoke in bars: Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC, LA, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, Seattle, and I am sure there are thousands more. I am a casual smoker and I think this is great--more reasons for me to finally quit all together. -I do believe Detroit and Michigan, for that matter, is ready for a complete smoking ban.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In DC, you can still smoke at a bar--just not in the "restaurant seating area". At least until January 1, anyway, when it becomes a complete ban. Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties in suburban Maryland already have bans.

Virginia, on the other hand....

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I smoked, you could still smoke everywhere but elevators and public transportation. It was great. I miss it, but I don't miss pneumonia.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the old days in Michigan Bell Computer Operations, we couldn't, of course,smoke in computer rooms. We had vivid diagrams of how big a molecule of smoke was between a disk drive and read/write head. The old Bell Building on Cass Ave. had alternating men's and ladies' rooms on either floor. It used to be exactly a half smoke to make it to and from the restroom on a break and many of us became accustomed to smoking cigarettes 1/2 at a time - not very good.

When we lived in CA, there were many towns where you couldn't smoke while walking down the street (12+ years ago). This was a big laugh because the vehicle emissions one inhaled while walking down the road were FAR worse than anything coming from a cigarette.

You also used to be able smoke in Smoking Sections on flights, to. On one red-eye from CA to Detroit I was VERY grateful for that because the evening snack was milk and bran muffins and, without the added air ciruclation, I would have been overwhelmed with methane!

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Austin to the list of non-smoking cities. No smoking in any public place including bars. At first, bar owners said it would hurt their business. It did the first few weeks. Now there are more people going out that are non-smokers, and the ban does not seem to have hurt their business at all. The bars that could do so quickly installed outdoor patios where people can smoke. Of course the climate here allows people on the patios pretty much year-round.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I miss cold winters when Id get in my moms car - she'd roll up the windows, turn the heat on "face melt" and immediately fire up cigarette after cigarette, just coating my skin and my lungs with that sticky poisonous resin. I miss how the smell would stay in my hair and on my clothes. Back then we "didnt know" it was bad for you or your child.

Mmmmm....carcinogenic-atcha.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austinjohn,

Detroit will eventually also become smoke free. It is inevitable given the overwhelming evidence of health consequences to non-smokers from second hand smoke. Detroit, will, however, be the last major city to adopt this public health measure. Only cities from tobacco road will adopt this measure after Detroit.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about the smoking lounge (garden/rivera court) at the DIA? it closed in the early 80s, i believe. does anyone have any memories of that? I am too young to recall, but it baffles me that smoke was allowed in there at one time.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 703
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was once common to see cartoons of expectant fathers chainsmoking in <gasp> hospital waiting rooms. That was a bit of a cultural icon in the 60s.

Treegypsy
Username: Treegypsy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in 1971 my grandfather was in the hospital dying from emphasema, and grabbing a cigarette whenever the nurses weren't lookin'...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Treegypsy! I know you. You're sure to have much to contribute to these forums, being a photographer and all.

Back to topic: Today I saw an elderly gentleman smoking a pipe in a "no-pipes" restaraunt. No one bothered him.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a kid in the '60's going to the doctor. The "old ladies" that worked in the reception area (behind sliding glass) were smoking. That is unthinkable in retrospect.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about in classrooms. You still see NO SMOKING signs in a lot of college classrooms. I would bet, but don't know, that high schols and colleges used to let students smoke right in class. I have heard of it.

On a darker note, my father has basically been diagnosed with lung cancer in the last 2 weeks. It has spread throughout his body, and if anyone knows anything about cancer, you'll know that Lung Cancer is one of the worst ones to have. He was a heavy smoker for his entire adult life.
Smoking is a very serious issue. Why on earth would they allow such a useless vice to remain legal when it serves no purpose whatsoever. At least booze can stimulate you the first time and every time after you use it. The irony is the fact that they banned booze back in the day -- and still today it is closely managed through restrictions and legal ramifications, but cigarettes are frickin' untouchable.

Mind boggling

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2823
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the cute girls in hotpants and gogoboots handing out those free mini packs of cigarettes outside tiger games on opening day and during big homestands? (Also during the boatraces, fireworks etc. they would pop up.) When I was a kid I had built up a collection of those minipacks over the years (I think they had 4 cigs in a pack). Sometimes they would give these packs away free at party stores too. (They were also inside the "welcome to college" packs college bookstores would hand out to incoming students, but without the cute girls handing them out it just wasn't the same.) I can't recall freebie cigarettes being passed out in the 80's but I DO recall freebie chew being passed out outside TS opening day well into the 1990s (no cute girls tho and they targetted hillbilly types in the crowd).

Nowadays the cute girls outside of the big games hand out passes to strip clubs. Somehow this is both less wholesome but healthier.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother was bemused to remember that there were cigarette machines on the obsteric floors of hospitals for the conveience of the new mothers! She herself bought packs there.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to the Silverdome or the PMS when it first opened to see a exhibition game. Everything from the second level up was a yellowish haze from smoke.
I dont smoke but at games today I always find myself outside with the smokers BS'ing at halftime becuase they are more fun.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Remember the good old days..."

Hell, these ARE the good old days. And it only gets better.

Smoking is SO 1959.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can absolutely smoke in bars in Chicago. Or if you can't, they sure don't enforce it worth a damn, like New York.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Chicago, January 16, 2006 banned in all public indoor places. Effective January 16, 2006, the ban prohibits smoking at restaurants without bars, common areas in residential buildings, sports arenas, convention centers, stores, malls, train platforms and outdoors within 15 feet (4.6 m) of any public building entrance. But there is a potentially delayed start specifically for bars, taverns, and restaurant with bars, as these sites are given 2.5 years (until July 1, 2008) to comply with the ban or implement an air-filtration system that will allow the indoor air with smokers to be of the same quality as the outdoor air."---from Wilkpedia

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 835
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I quit smoking five years ago, but when asked the "smoking or no smoking section?" question at a restaurant, my wife and I say it doesn't matter. Any whiffs of smoke really don't bother us, so why not? It sure speeds up seating.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The provinces of Ontario and Quebec are also smoke free (there are, of course, some limited exceptions).

From what I understand, Ireland is also smoke free. That's right: Ireland.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5874
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

France is also considering it.

Really.

No one smokes like the french.

Dang
Username: Dang

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when Bill Bonds would come back from a commercial, there was always a billow of smoke rising up over him, as if he had smoked every puff he could during the break. Hilarious.

Sf_mike
Username: Sf_mike

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In San Francisco it is definitely enforced. In fact, the whole anti-smoking vibe out here got me to quit after about 2 months. I was just sick of having to stand outside the bar all the time as well as getting dirty looks and "coughs" on the street. It just wasn't worth the hassle and of course it was the best decision I have ever made.

(Message edited by sf_mike on October 04, 2006)

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sf_mike,

I agree that smoking in CA was the trickiest. That's why I would NEVER smoke around children or pregnant women. BUT, CA area laws were another reason I became anti-anti-smoking rules. First it was smoking anywhere, anytime. Then it was ordinances against perfume (okay, that one I can sometimes agree with). Next, it was rules against steak houses, not only for the emissions from grilling but also from the methane from the cows, themselves. Anybody got a cork?

What it really came down to was, how far are they going to go in stopping everything for our own good? Okay, a grill has emissions but I doubt that the caveperson griling their kill really affected the atmoshphere as much as our gas guzzlers, today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.