Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » NHL Hockey team in Windsor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All right, we all know our beloved Wings were moved here from Canada by James Norris. He of the 'House of Norris' who also at one time owned the Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, and New York Rangers.

The joke around the league was that NHL really stood for Norris Hockey League.

About 8 years or so, Pete K bought the Hartford Whalers and there was talk that he would move them to Windsor.

Anyone think that Detroit/ Windsor could support 2 hockey teams?

On a side note, who can tell me the names of our Winged Wheels before they were known as The Detroit Red Wings?

Detroitej72, Longtime hockey fan...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, and why not locate it here:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/84253.html?1159573300

Was their previous name the "Maroons"?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, at first they were known as The Detroit Cougers, then Falcons, then...Red wings!!! after our industries in days of old...

Detroitej72... Oldtime hockey fan....

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way. There'd barely be anyone at the games, unless Detroit or Toronto was playing. It would make more sense in London and even then, still not much sense.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit/Windsor already has enough hockey teams. Red Wings, Spitfires, Whalers...there also used to be the Motor City Mechanics that played in Fraser for a few seasons. The Detroit Vipers were a good team, if ever so briefly. Add to that all the high school and travel teams, this region is saturated with the sport! I'm not saying that's a bad thing but no other pro team is needed, IMO.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor is too small a market--no question there. The group that is developing the Ice Track project wants a tenant badly and are apparently prepared to go after an AHL team, especially if the Spitfires chose to stay put or move to another facility in Windsor.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around 20 years ago I went to Windsor Arena to see the Wings play the Quebec Nordiques in an exhibition game. I had never been to the Windsor Arena. It is quite an interesting relic, sort of like a big quonset hut.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Was their previous name the "Maroons"?

That was Montreal.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last thing the NHL needs is another revenue-sucking expansion team (like Charlotte -- what a waste of talent in an unappreciated market)....but the dynamic MIGHT work in Windsor.

Hell, if NYC can support three successful NHL teams, Hockeytown & Windsor can certainly support two teams. The kicker will be how many Toronto fans in Windsor would be willing to shift their loyalty.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8841
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't happen. Windsor has too small a market to support two teams.
The Ice Track Arena will not hold an AHL team either as AHL teams are the farm clubs for the NHL. The Red Wings will not allow a different farm team to be in their territory. Besides, the AHL has already been contacted and they told the reporter that it is an absolute NO, that they do not have any AHL teams that are locating to this area (please dismiss Cincinatti's AHL team even though they are shopping for a new city).

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, North Carolina's team is in Raleigh not Charlotte.

Yupislyr, London is not in a position to handle an NHL team as there would be no television market for such a team. That and Metro London's population is very small and city does not have major corporations to purchase luxury boxes, etc. I do realize that you were just throwing London out as an example.

Hamilton is often mentioned as a city that could hold an NHL franchise. This would bring the Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo triangle to three teams. That could be doable (but Buffalo and Toronto would protest so much that it would not happen). Could Windsor-Detroit hold two teams? If Windsor was prepared to be a small market team, the team sold itself as a Windsor-Detroit franchise, and if the border was in pre-9/11 shape, Windsor could be on similar footing with Hamilton (minus the arena). That being said, we live with a post 9/11 border and Joe Louis arena looks out at Windsor (i.e. is very close to Windsor).

Goat, I don't see Detroit allowing an AHL team in Windsor. I don't see the NHL allowing an AHL team in an OHL market. The only scenario that works in my mind is moving the Grand Rapids team to Windsor. But that won't happen.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.