Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Meet Optimus Prime in Person! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6949
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort Street will be closed between Shelby and Washington Blvd. beginning 4:00 a.m. on October 3, through late evening on October 4 for the filming of Transformers. Sidewalk access will be limited to Dreamworks crew only.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Optimus Prime is dead.

However, I think WMU_Chris might be interested.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6950
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of "dead"...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone hear back from the agent casting extras?

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not, I even sent in a nude picture.

7even

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone who did get emailed back, but I don't know the details about it.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff,
Where'd you hear about them closing down Fort? I'm trying to confirm and can't.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will we have a spy in place to get some photos?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Speaking of "dead"...

Was he BANGed?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6963
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rawk: My office building is on Fort. We got the notice from building management.

Dan: Yes.

Butterfly: Yes.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did the notice say? Consider myself an interested party. :-)

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

Optimus Prime came back to life twice in the third season of generation one.:-) First time, the Quintesons brought him back as a zombie(disturbing as a kid). Second time he was ressurected by humans! Rodimus became Hot Rod again at the end of the season.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ill be down there

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10711
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like they were doing work at the MCS yesterday in preparation for filming. Had a few vans and other vehicles along with a big ass fork lift thing.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so cool that they are filming Transformers in Detroit.313

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got called to by the casting people at like 10PM on Sunday night when I was working my other job and they left a message. I was so excited! But dammit, my day job boss won't let me off work for the next two days... stupid print deadlines... dammit! If it were only next week, I'd def. be able to go... I'm so mad!

Dan

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff: Thank you! I look forward to seeing some pics! Hopefully someone flogging Michael Bay
(But I guess I should be happy he is shooting here).

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Micael Bay has a Detroit fetish!

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061003/NEW S99/61003005

'Transformers' filming closes downtown streets
October 3, 2006
BY DAN AUSTIN
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Movie-making returns to downtown Detroit today.

Closing off traffic, crews will be all over Fort Street between Washington and Griswold, and Shelby between Congress and Lafayette, tonight and Wednesday for work on the film "Transformers."

You may recall the same blocks were used in making the 2005 movie "The Island." And, as in that film, the long-abandoned Michigan Central Depot in Detroit also will be used as a site.

Coincidence? No, the director for both is Michael Bay.

The movie is to open in the United States on July 4. Steven Spielberg is the film's executive producer, and Jon Voight and Bernie Mac are among its stars. The Transformers themselves are expected to be computer-generated. See the trailer at www.transformersmovie.com.

Transformers are robots from the planet Cybertron that can disguise themselves by transforming into cars, planes, even dinosaurs. When they came out in the 1980s, kids ate it up.

The Autobots, led by Optimus Prime, locked horns with Megatron's evil Decepticons in one of the top cartoon series -- and toy lines -- of the '80s. Now they'll be stars of the new live-action movie.

The original "Transformers" cartoon had a 98-episode run in 1984-87, and there was an animated movie in 1986. The series also spawned other shows and countless toy lines.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6980
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully someone flogging Michael Bay
(But I guess I should be happy he is shooting here).

Dude, what the hell kinda pics do you think I'm taking?

Dan

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...that can disguise themselves by transforming into cars, planes, even dinosaurs

I guess as a kid, disquising ones self as a dinosaur in the modern world didn't seem as foolish as it does now.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6981
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort Street has been shut down to the public. They're prepping the area right now. I'm sure they're off to a late start because of the rain.) The signage has come off the old Silver's/Bank of the Commonwealth building. In front of the Comerica branch, they've placed park benches, facing the bank and not the street. There's giant machine in the interesection of Fort & Shelby. It's painted yellow and has lights on it, like it's for traffic control. Only I've never seen anything like it.

All of the area stop signs, yield signs, "no parking" signs, etc. have been removed and are now stacked in front of Silver's. But the signs indicating the names of the street are still there.

More details as they become available. Pics tonight.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess as a kid, disquising ones self as a dinosaur in the modern world didn't seem as foolish as it does now.

LMAO Tetsua. :-)

Tetsua

Post Number: 783
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s111.photobucket.com/al bums/n137/tetsua/

Here go some picks of the MCS getting prepped for filming.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any clue what they were doing, Tetsua?

7even

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read an email of one of the people that was selected to be an extra and it said "you will be running and screaming." I am guessing they are in MCS running and screaming from a transformer (greenscreen). I went down to MCS today and seen fog machines and people in the lobby. I did not see a transformer or a trailer for one.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6985
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't figure out what they're doing with Fort Street. They've added all kinds of road barriers, to make it look like it's under construction. There are also two big huge piles of dirt dumped in the street, which doesn't quite fit in with the construction theme. Old fashioned street lights have been added to the north side of Fort.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!!!

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics???

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6986
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow. I promise. Nothing exciting enough to post tonight. Just setting up the dull scenes I described above.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was getting a tour of the Dime Building this afternoon, and from the upper floors noticed some strange looking stuff sitting out in the middle of Fort St. Not movie production stuff either.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess for fort is that it's for an early scene where a tranformer in vehicle mode (maybe some construction equipment) and gets inturrupted for something more important.

MCS could be used as a train station for a similair scene.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6988
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, here's what happened on Fort Street today.

Lots of signage removed, but not the actual Shelby Street or Fort Street signs.

Fort has been staged to look like it is under construction. Lots of barricades. At first I thought they were just blocking traffic to set the scene, but then I realized that that was the scene.

They dumped a huge load of gravel by the Fort Street entrance to the courthouse. They guys you see shoveling it in this pic are actors.

There's about to be a car chase. These are actors waiting to react to the sudden chase. Notice the park benches, which weren't there originally.

Here's the car with the camera mounted on it. It proceeds up Fort from Griswold to Washington, while the cars chase the other direction.

All of these cars were charging down Fort from Washington. At Shelby, two screeched and fishtailed.

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is useless without pics.......of Starscream

jk, nice work

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff,

My son was asked to work on the Transformers, as he did on The Island 2 years ago. Since his move to LA back in spring and sporadic visits to Detroit, some work-related, some nostalgic (simply because he is homesick for the D.), he is torn in between jobs here and in LA. Unfortunately his work schedule = need to make money (and the lack of transportation here) prevented him from working on the Transformers, much to his regret, so I had to take him to the airport today, back to LA. But he (and myself) will appreciate all the on-scene pictures you and anyone else can provide. Thanks.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pix, Itsjeff!

Unfortunately, kind of underwhelming. My brother said he saw what might be Bumblebee there and there were a bunch of flatbed trucks with huge tarps covering their payloads parking across from the old Freep building on Lafayette tonight.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit= Hollywood East!,?... One can only hope.

Let's see, first The Island, then Crossover, now Transformer's.

Detroit is being well representin' in the movies.

Let's hope this is not like the D in the 70's where we were the joke of a nation. i.e. Detroit P.D. renamed Murder City, U.S.A.

Detroitej72, proudly born, raised, married,& saddly divorced in the D...

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

& sadly divorced in the D...

You know, when God closes one door, he opens another...

The_d_justloveit
Username: The_d_justloveit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed watching the filming on Fort Street, wanted to watch the Tigers game anyway but I found a few websites last night with coverage of the filming of Transfomers being done on the streets of LA. The pictures and videos posted might give a glimpse of what to expect in Detroit today and Thursday.

http://www.thejay.com/2006/10/ 03/thejaycom-exclusive

http://www.defamer.com/hollywo od/michael-bay/michael-bay-on- background-actors-let-them-eat -red-velvet-cake-193783.php

and this site (you have to scroll down near the bottom to see the video shot by someone of the street during filming. http://www.defamer.com/

If you've ever wondered about what it might be like to work on a Michael Bay set, but feel that actually signing up to be an extra on one of his films is a risk to your emotional health that you're not willing to take (even if there's a self-esteem-repairing craft services therapist on call), we suggest you watch this video of the downtown Transformers shoot posted on The Jay.com. In just two-and-half minutes, it seems to offer a safe simulation of what a typical day of filming on any Bay production would be like: a lot of tense standing around near carefully demolished, smoldering vehicles while Bay screams through a megaphone, which eventually culminates in a couple of seconds of disappointing action.

Tetsua

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the look of the pictures it looks like Bumble Bee is in the movie indeed.

Tetsua

Post Number: 786
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they currently in the process of taping right now?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6989
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they just blew up a truck. That's when I learned that my memory stick is full.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72, you are forgetting Detroit's biggest movie in my opinion, Four Brothers, I think we were well represented in that one and it was a good movie.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call Toog05. I was just speaking off the top of my head in the last few years.

Detroitej72

Tetsua

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any pictures of the filming today, I couldn't sneek away from work. Itsjeff, anybody??

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6992
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't use my camera. A shame, because they filmed lots of explosions on the corner of Fort & Shelby. With lots of screaming pedestrians. Big fun.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5878
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Four Brothers was filmed in Toronto.

Dan

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They shot here for a day or two.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.