Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Grand Prix will return to Belle Isle in 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10683
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, Roger Penske working with the city to make things happen. Another big event that will have the nation and world casting it's eyes upon Detroit.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060928/SPORTS1 6/609280305

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nation AND the world!!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great, who needs Granholm or Tricky Dick, Roger Penske for Governor!!!

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Rodger will listen to the different views of all interested parties and take a collaborative approach to make the events successful.

3dim
Username: 3dim

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd like it a whole lot better if it was a CART race, not IRL, but a win for the city nonetheless

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CART is a joke, all the big names and the best racing is in the IRL.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what Penske has done deserves a lot of credit. Great going!!!

Supersport

Post Number: 10684
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now....about the Olympics. :-)

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting...IRL is primarily an oval circut, bu they do race on the streets in St. Petersburg FL and at WAtkins Glen. Maybe another road course helps in the reconciliation efforts between CART and Indycar.

Anyway, great to have racing back in the Motor City!

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, I'll be there for sure. IRL is a helluva lot better than CART, the racing is much better, both series would be a lot better off right now with a merger.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

IRL is a helluva lot better than CART, the racing is much better

Eugh, you're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding...

quote:

both series would be a lot better off right now with a merger.

Now that I agree with.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad this is coming back. I just wish it was not over Labor Day weekend. The Jazz festival and State Fair need all the support they can get, especially with the Arts, Beats and Eats competition. Isn't this just too many events in one weekend? The Jazz festival and State Fair bring more of the community feel that we need than a sporting event does. Hopefully, they can just look at a different weekend. What about a weekend before an MIS event? Then race fans can see two different types of races in one week.

(Message edited by Baltgar on September 28, 2006)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What about a weekend before an MIS event? Then race fans can see two different types of races in one week.

The only problem with doing the races on back to back weekends is that you miss out of lots of out-of-staters who might want to go to both but can't make it back to back. Also, you might not be able to attract the super race fans who take the Thursday and Friday's off to watch practice and qualifying. They probably wouldn't be able to do that on back to back weeks.

I say put it back in June. I think Labor Day weekend is a bad idea on so many levels.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this pretty much undoing all the years of work that friends of belle isle did?

wasnt the last CART race in 2001 riddled with low attendance, cramped conditions, grass growing on the track and antiquated equipment?

Isnt this a slap in the face to Ford and GM since Indy is an all HONDA series?

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I shouldn't have said that, it is a bit hard to compare IRL and Cart (or champ car idk what it is anymore) since IRL is mostly oval racing and CART is mostly road courses. I saw IRL at MIS last year and thought the racing among the leaders was great, everything else wasn't too special. I saw Cart once at Belle Isle back in '00 and was bored to tears. I'm glad that IRL is coming rather than CART because all the big names are in IRL now.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't this pretty much undoing all the years of work that friends of belle isle did?

Yes.

quote:

wasnt the last CART race in 2001 riddled with low attendance, cramped conditions, grass growing on the track and antiquated equipment?

Not sure, yes, not sure, whose equipment CART's or Belle Isle's?

quote:

Isnt this a slap in the face to Ford and GM since Indy is an all HONDA series?

Never thought of it that way. I'd think it'd be more of a slap in the face to Tony George and all of the IRL minions who pushed for the open wheel, all oval series to be created in the first place...

Fjw718

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhh, true

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swgz -- Street circuits and oval courses are completely different racing environments irregardless of which racing series is racing at that time. You ever get to see CART on the oval at Michigan?

quote:

I'm glad that IRL is coming rather than CART because all the big names are in IRL now

Better not tell Paul Tracy or Jimmy Vasser that.

Fjw718

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right!

If cart has taught the sports world one thing this year, its that they know how to fight!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they are gonna bring racing to Central Park in NY too.

NOT!

Belle Isle is a Public Park not a race track! Shit, I'd rather them race down Jefferson, it's already 9 lanes of bleak asphalt.

:-(

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy Vasser is a has been. Paul Tracy would probably be the equivalent of a Vitor Meira or Thomas Shecktor if he got on a halfway decent team. CART can't begin to touch the talent levels of Helio, TK, Wheldon, Andretti, and one of the best drivers in the world, Sam Hornish Jr.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there has been talk about bringing racing to Central Park in the past...

If you're concerned about what's going to happen to the island if they put racing on it I would suggest you try to find a way to let your feelings known. I'm sure the Friends of Belle Isle would love to add another voice to the fray.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The key to the race being a success isn't the IRL race, it will be what races and racers are scheduled as the preliminary events. If nothing else Penske will do a better job of designing and providing a better track for drivers and fans.

I'm hoping for a Daytona Prototype and Speed GT Challenge support race combo. Sure would like to see the CTS race cars on the streets of Detroit.

Kenp

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Angry dad. TO me Cart or IRL really doesnt matter. Its the weekend that does.
Get out to Waterford Hills sometimes.
Also I had to laugh at the comment that they should schedule the race the week after MIS race. WHy, nobody goes to MIS for open wheel races.

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speed GT would be a awsome support race. I still rather see CART, just so I can watch PT get into another fight.. :P

Doesnt Speed GT follow ALMS and Grand-Am follow the Daytona Prototype series?? I dont pay close enought attention..

PS... F1 is at China this weekend :-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

irregardless of which racing series is racing at that time.

You know that's not a word, right? "Irrespective" would work.

(Message edited by dabirch on September 29, 2006)

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I should have just used regardless.

But back to the subject at hand. When CART used to race here we had Trans-Am and Indy Lights and I think even sometimes the Toyota Atlantics and the SCCA Pro-series where you got to seee B-list celebrities try to race. yay.

I have no clue what support series IRL uses now... anyone?

Fjw718

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marry me Susana

Dabirch

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Marry me Susana

If I had a dime for every time i've heard those words uttered.

I'd have, well, $.10

Fjw718

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wish my girlfriend even knew what an open-wheeled racer was, yet alone the difference between champ and irl

oh and susana, they indy car junior circut is now called the IndyPro leauge i think.....

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6951
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wish my girlfriend even knew what an open-wheeled racer was, yet alone the difference between champ and irl

My God, man, why do you keep her around then???

Dabirch

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i wish my girlfriend even knew what an open-wheeled racer was

You wish your girlfriend had a rack like susanarosa's...

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*yawn* I hate racing of any kind. Its like watching traffic. Borrriiiing!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8836
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boring for you but $$$ for Detroit. But I digress, like many Detroiters if yo don't like it then it must be shit so don't have it.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why thank you gentlemen... I have to admit that I haven't really followed racing that closely in the last 4-5 years, but like riding a bike, it's something that seems to stay with you forever.

Anyone else remember watching Tommy Kendall kicking ass in a far superior car in Trans-Am in the late 90s? Trans-Am was always fun to watch.

Supersport

Post Number: 10696
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa,

If you like wrenching on cars, I'll marry ya.....keep you plenty busy too! haha

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Susanarosa

Anyone else remember watching Tommy Kendall kicking ass in a far superior car in Trans-Am in the late 90s? Trans-Am was always fun to watch.

Those were a good 4 years when I crewed for an SCCA Pro SRF team. We were a support race for Trans-Am. Good times.

3dim

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw IRL! the ALMS is coming the same weekend! now that I'm excited about!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060929/NEW S99/60929022

quote:

The IndyCar and American Le Mans series have added the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix to their 2007 schedules. The American Le Mans race will be run Sept. 1, and the IndyCar race will be held a day later.

I assume you made it to the Glen a few times toolbox? I've seen the trans-am there, which happens also to be where TK wrecked his chevrolet/EDS imsa GTP car in '91 I think, the first race I saw there was the last year of the GTP cars in '92 when toyota won the championship. Saw the first year of the WSC series there the next year as well as all of the support races.

(Message edited by 3dim on September 29, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10699
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, that rocks! I'm more excited about the Le Mans portion of the event to be honest.

Having worked three straight years around MIS, I'll take closed wheel racing over open wheel any day. NASCAR just sounds way more 'Merican with their thunderous V8's as opposed to the whiney open wheel engines. Looking forward to seeing the Compuware Corvette lay some smack down.

3dim

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dear sport,

IRL cars use normally aspirated V8's. only some ALMS series cars do, others have forced induction, and Audi is even running turbodiesels in their cars this year. learn something.

Fjw718

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But what does a nascar car top out at, like 8-10k?

Nothing like the sound of open wheelers and there 13 up to 18 (in f1) RPM's

(Message edited by fjw718 on September 29, 2006)

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay to bringing back racing to Detroit!

Boo to having it on Labor Day weekend!

Though I guess those folks new to Detroit for Grand Prix will be able to attend the Jazz Fest too...but then again...are there a lot of people who like Racing and Jazz?

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

are there a lot of people who like Racing and Jazz?

Yes.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we really need that many competing events in one weekend? You know, I really wish there was an outdoor festival or event in the Fall months (we used to have Oktoberfest as part of the Ethnic Festival Events back in the day). I mean after the Tigers, then what? The Lions...yeah right. We have a big gap between summer and winter.

Supersport

Post Number: 10701
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You wanna talk sound? Have you ever heard a Top Fuel dragster? It'll vibrate your insides like nothing you've ever experience. They produce enough sound to cause you to go deaf in extreme cases. It's the most furocious sound you'll ever hear.

0-100 mph in under .8 seconds....nuff said.

ps...Nothing like a 6,000-8,000 horsepower

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as long as they can do something about the mud from the last race I'll be there

Belle Isle mud
http://static.flickr.com/121/255833633_02005a544f_o.jpg

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another pic

Belle Isle
http://static.flickr.com/102/255837084_85be423c17_o.jpg

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those worried about having the jazz fest and auto races on the same weekend, I wouldnt be too worried,, I think you will probably build the city as a definite place to be on labor day weekend,, lots to do,, and all the restaurants would be more than happy to assist

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are some great shots of the AMLS cars at the petit Le Mans at Road America this past weekend

http://forums.thecarlounge.net /zerothread?id=2853941

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good news about the Grand Prix on Belle Isle is that Roger Penske got the Friends Of Belle Isle to support this endeavor. How? By donating the profits of the event to Belle Isle upkeep. Good move!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa. The Compuware vet took a pounding in those ^^ pictures. Looks like their stock price over the past year.

Describe LeMans. When I hear that I think endurance running. Will it be something like that or is this a stock car race?

Jazz and auto racing might go together, but not close together. Imagine the sound competition if they ran the race on the old downtown course.

Which I hopelessly wish is where the races could be held. The TV images of that race were very flattering to downtown, giving the illusion [especially for those years] of a bustling downtown offset by great skyscrapers.

From a TV visual POV, the Belle Isle course could be just another country course with a few telephotos of Detroit and the Straits thrown in [including, of course, the obligatory RenCen framed with Scott Fountain water spounts.]

Image, image, image... but this will help and another bravo for Roger Penske.

Kenp

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.americanlemans.com/ home/ALMSHome.aspx
They have multiple types of cars and its endurance racing. Very cool stuff.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Describe LeMans. When I hear that I think endurance running. Will it be something like that or is this a stock car race?

Le Mans proper is the 24 race at Le Mans Circuit de la Sarthe in France. The American Le Mans Series is a full season of shorter races the using the same cars on various road courses and temporary circuits throughout north america. The ALMS uses the same group classifications as well, which are LMP1 (Le Mans Prototype 1), LMP2, GT1 (Grand Tourismo 1, Grand Touring 1), and GT2. All classes have their own wieght, power, dimensional and displacement limitiations yet run the race simultaneously, each class having different markings and different colored headlights to differentiate themselves to drivers and spectators. Since this is a new event, the actuall length of the ALMS race is probably as of yet undetermined, but will likely be in the ballpark of 3 hours. Two of the ALMS series races are endurance events, the 12 hours of Sebring in Florida, and the Petit LE Mans at Road America which is 10 hours I beleive.

The IRL race will be similar in length most likely, though the IRL may base race length on milage, not time. There is only one car type in IRL, they are all open-wheeled normally aspirated (no turbo or super chargers) v-8 power plants from various manufacturers in a handful of different chassis. Other than passive electronic data gathering and electronic ignition systems, the IRL is a faily low-tech form of racing (at least as compared to something like Formula 1)

support races (smaller championship series that race preceding the main events) will probably include some more "stock" car type racing like the Speed touring cup(not to be confused with NASCAR!!!) as well as some lower level open wheel racing.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 02, 2006)

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah, Roger Penske also owns a team in both series.

2 Porsche RS spyders in the LMP2 class of the ALMS
and 2 Honda powered Dallara's in the IRL

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 02, 2006)

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several weeks ago I posted a link to a website that I did after visiting Detroit and Highland Park. Well, I was really surprised this past week when finding out that the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) was heading to Detroit in 2007. Yeah!! Here are several links to photos from the Petit Le Mans that I built. Many of the photos are of the silver Audi R10, a twin turbo, V-12 diesel-powered prototype that is dominating the series.

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberM otor/plm_06_thurs.html

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberM otor/plm_2006/sat_gallery/

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberM otor/plm_2006/

Here is the link to my original page on Detroit...
http://www.lasersol.com/heartl and_5.html

It is interesting seeing Atlantans having an influence on Detroit...John Portman, the designer of the Renaissance Center and now Don Panoz, the founder of the ALMS. As an Atlantan myself and being born in Detroit, I have been doing what I can to promote Detroit's comeback as the leader in 21st century propulsion systems. I think it would be great if the abandoned areas of downtown could become the center of the rebirth of advanced automobiles.

I'm going to be back in Detroit in several weeks and will get that last photo of the Michigan Bldg. So, now Detroit will have the AK conference in 2007 and the ALMS! Two of the things I was promoting in my website are happening in Detroit!

Peachlaser

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a shot of the Audi R10 V-12 twin-turbo diesel that is dominating world prototype endurance racing.

Audi R10 V-12 Twin Turbo

This class is dominated by the Europeans and the Japanese are getting ready to make a big entry. I've been pulling for American ingenuity, intelligence and courage to mount an assault in building a prototype that can lead the world. Still hoping.

There are four classes in the ALMS, two prototype classes and two 'production' classes. The Corvette team has dominated the GT1 class for the past four years and is America's brightest star in this type of racing. Their main competitor at this time is the Aston-Martin (Ford?). Porsche re-entered the prototype class last year with Penske Racing handling the duties. Acura is getting ready to come on strong next year and Lexus is supposedly mounting a challenge.

Unfortunately, I think America and Detroit have been focused on NASCAR which is really ancient automotive technology in many ways. Endurance racing emphasizes power, efficiency and reliability. These cars can run in the rain and day or night. They have advanced automotive electronics and use exotic materials and production techniques. I think Compuware and Corvette have learned a ton while participating in this series. Hopefully, this knowledge makes its way into production vehicles to make them more efficient and reliable while performing and handling better. There has been a hybrid gas/electric car that has raced, new diesels that are quieter and cleaner are coming onto the scene, and other alternative fuels have been experimented with. So, I think this is a great series to have visit Detroit's doorsteps. Hopefully, there is good attendance of Detroit's engineers, marketers and decision-makers.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mighty *yawn*

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, Miss cleo has spoken. Since she finds it boring, we shouldn't do it or talk about it. That will greatly simplify my day.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way back in my public speaking classes, I remember hearing that if people are yawning, it means they are interested. If they weren't, they would just go ahead and fall asleep and ignore you. So, I take the yawn as a compliment. : )

It seems that New York is not yawning in regards to Audi. Next Wed., they are driving the Audi down Park Ave. It seems to be the kind of attention Detroit automakers need. Full story...
http://www.americanlemans.com/ News/Article.aspx?ID=2638

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by no means was I complimenting racing, my God, what do you find so great about watching traffic? Its noisy and boring...so boring it makes me weep.

Geez, lets all sit on the embankment of 696 and drink beer and cheer, same thing!

Kenp

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Miss cleo once dated a race car driver.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.