Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Best Metro Haunted Houses? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the time of year for local haunts is once again upon us. While the lure of haunted houses is not what it was for me as a child, I still enjoy going to one or two choice haunts. Does anyone have any suggestions for good haunted houses, that still might provide a little scare for a grown man? I prefer the ones in the middle of nowhere, that actually give the impression of actually being haunted.(Not those in the middle of the city) I admit, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, in case you haven't noticed.

Thanks.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for the Manoogian Mansion.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More chilling details about metro Detroit's haunted houses
October 13, 2006

Free Press staff writer Martin F. Kohn asked John Manfredi, managing director of Meadow Brooke Theatre, for his impressions of area haunted houses.

DEADLY INTENTIONS

County Line Trade Center

20900 Dequindre, between 8 Mile and 9 Mile

Warren

248-797-0676

www.DeadlyIntentionsHaunt.com

Dark and spooky, as all haunted houses should be, Deadly Intentions relies more on its actors than its special effects. A woman chained in a cage leaps, screams and jumps on a metal garbage can that had to have been chosen for its superior clanging quality.

Farther along, past a room with a serious rat problem, someone -- either a butcher or a demented scientist in blood-spattered white attire -- beckons us closer to look through a big window upon a brightly lit scene of human dismemberment.

A clown or two provide extra incentive to move on. "People are scared of clowns," notes local actor-director John Manfredi. And here is the man with the chainsaw to signal the end.

The chainsaw guy is to haunted houses what the fat lady is to the opera.

7:30-11 p.m. Thursday, 7:30 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 7:30-11 p.m. Sunday. Through Oct. 22

7:30-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 7:30-11 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 25-31.

$12 adults, $10 children under 42 inches

Adults-only Wednesdays: Oct. 18 and 25.

EREBUS

18 S. Perry

Pontiac

248-332-7884

www.hauntedpontiac.com

Erebus, the four-story haunted house in downtown Pontiac, advertises "limited indoor waiting," but on a weekday night when the doors were supposed to open at 7 p.m., the wait was 25 minutes and outdoors.

The live and recorded screams emanating from inside and the giant hanging spider provided diversion for about a minute.

Inside Erebus, video screens every few feet show a fake newscast about the house, repeated incessantly. An actor playing a TV reporter says, "I've been trapped for what seems like hours." We feel ya, pal.

Once inside, though, nearly all is forgiven. In addition to the requisite darkness, costumed menaces and enough of a hike (with many ramps and stairways) to qualify as exercise, Erebus has a couple of terrific special effects.

One is called the Swamp. Lighting creates the illusion that there is greenish moving water on either side of you as you walk in a narrow channel with simulated water up to your waist.

The other special effect convinces you that you are walking along a pathway overlooking a bottomless abyss on your right. As you carefully make your way, the wall on your left pushes you toward the edge. "That," Manfredi says, "was great."

7-11 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 7-11 p.m. Sunday. (Closed Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 16-17.) Through Oct. 31. $19.

THE FEAR FACTORY

Produce Palace

29300 Dequindre, north of 12 Mile

Warren

586-216-2291

www.theFearFactory.com

At the Fear Factory, on Dequindre north of 12 Mile in Warren, they boast "Michigan's largest vortex tunnel." In the haunted house biz, says Manfredi, they call it a puker.

With good reason. Walking single file, you go across a narrow bridge (with handrails) that runs from one end of a giant cylinder to the other. The cylinder, brightly painted with stars, rotates around you. At no time are you actually being moved, but the effect is dizzying and potentially nauseating.

And then you get lost in a dark, narrow maze whose doorways seem to change position. You keep passing through the same empty room, which isn't always empty.

I finally wimp out and go for the only illumination I have. It is better to light one little cell phone than to curse the darkness. But it reveals only hopelessness of our situation.

Eventually, we find the right door and move on. "Mazes," Manfredi says, "are always good." A few scares later, the guy with the chainsaw is after us and we're done.

7 p.m. until demand ceases, daily (closed Oct. 16-17). Through Oct. 31. $16.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061013/ENT 05/610130361

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erebus in Pontiac is the best haunted house in the midwest.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would agree that erebus is about the best you can get around here these days. just realize, though, that once you go, you might not want to return the next year or the year after as they don't change much from year to year. the first year i was VERY impressed (and it takes a lot for a hanuted house to impress me). but i wasn't as impressed the next year because it was pretty much the same.

too bad they don't do terror town at 4 bears water park anymore....that was probably the second best haunted house i've ever been to.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best haunted house I've been to, was the one on the Ste Claire Boblo Boat. You have to go to Toledo for it this year. It is worth the trip though.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote is for Deadly Intentions. A few years ago I went to almost all of them in the area. DI was my favorite and still is. Don't miss their adult only nights coming up on the 18th and 25th with partial nudity and foul language. They recommend wearing old clothes because you make get blood on them these nights. :-)

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DI on MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/deadlyi ntentionshaunt

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.