Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » $2.26 /gal downtown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was downtown today and I wad going to stop and get gas at the Total (I think) gas station around Congress and Cass near Cobo and it was $2.26 for regular. That's not a bad price these days, but is that the price of "convenience" for getting gas in downtown?

I know it's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago after 9/11 and the blackout but still..

I waited until I got home to get my gas $2.05/gal on Hanna and 7 mile.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a BP at First and Fort ??!! Is that what you mean?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I think that's the one... there is aren't any other ones around that I know of.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They usually aren't that high on gas. They're not the lowest in town, but about average. I'll check when I go by there.

I was laughing to myself, picturing a gas station at Congress & Cass.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my personal experience is that the ones at 75 and Warren ave (probably true of most stations just off the freeway) are usually about 10 cents higher than stations out near my work in the city of warren. I filled up last week in warren for 2.17, I think some stations here are now at sub-2.10 prices even

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speedway 12 Mile East of Mound $1.99

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like I'll be using the south entrance of work from now on ;)

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that the price depends on the type of day it is, too...its typically more in the mornings and the less in the afternoons and then goes up slightly 4 the after noon rush and then goes back down again after that....

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I'd throw in that I paid $2.67 in Las Vegas and that was a good price of late. $2.26 sounds like a dream come true!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, you don't think that the price of Gas has anything to do with the November Elections looming??

What's the price of crude oil per barrel these days. Then lets do the math to see if I'm right or not...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just fell into the $2.70s here in Chicago (in the city). Still above $3 in the loop, where there are like 2 total gas stations.

Antonyj11
Username: Antonyj11

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the things there are to complain about, the price of gas in Michigan as compared to elsewhere in the country is not one of them.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 828
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still 2.65 to 2.75 here in Las Vegas. Worse over in the People's Republic of California.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

yesterday the barrel of oil slipped a little under $60/barrel. This is the lowest price a barrel has been traded for in NY and London.
Does it have anything to do with elections... I doubt it.
My parents in France told me that gas prices were plumetting to lows never seen in 3 years.

Bear in mind the conflict in Lebanon is "over", Pudhoe Bay oil production is back at full capacity after being shut down for months... Pudhoe bay provides more than 9% of total American oil consumption.

There are many factors indeed, but the fact that the elections are coming up can fuel many ideas, fantasms, consparicies and volatilities.
I think it's just a mere coincidence, but some people like sparking the idea that the 'evil' republicans are manipulating Americans. Not that I'm a Republican (on the contrary), but I really think the world oil prices are on a downslope, whether it's here in the USA or Europe.

Furthermore, I invite all to go and check out http://www.detroitgasprices.co m/retail_price_chart.aspx

Change the chart and look at the prices of gas for the past 3 years, gas prices always tend to sharply decrease around October up until December. Prices pick up again by February.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d, please don't muddle conspiracy theories with facts. Conspiracy is funnier than fact.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$2.05 where I live.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those outside of Michigan, the U.S./Canada version of the above website is http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citgo by my house was at $2.16 last night.
It's at Woodward and Euclid, just north of Grand.

Jimaz

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been following neighborhood prices for about 6 months at http://www.detroitgasprices.co m/ . Just recently the price drop has leveled off but there seems to be uncertainty. The usually lowest-price station stopped undercutting the others and a higher-priced station raised their price by a whole dime. Yet a usually higher-priced station just outside the neighborhood dropped their price to a remarkably low $2.06.

You can't save much money doing this but it can become an interesting spectator sport.

Jimaz

Post Number: 694
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While testing that link, I see there are a lot of prices below $2. Let the traditional Detroit metro cruising resume. <bows>

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.