Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » How can Chrysler expect support fom the U.S.? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe they would actually expect the U.S. to support them when they took away our jobs, sent them over seas and now want us to support their product. Not me...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060925/A UTO01/609250340

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one U.S. auto maker sells a car in that segment right now, the Chevrolet Aveo, which is made in...Class? South Korea. That's where that all American car, the Geo/Chevlrolet Metro came from. And the Ford Festiva and Aspire and the Pontiac LeMans. The sad fact is that U.S. auto producers can't build and sell a sub-compact and make a profit at the same time. For that matter, I wonder if the only reason the Honda Fit they produce for export in China isn't sold in the U.S. is for marketing reasons.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illwill, maybe you should change your question from "the U.S. to support them" to "Michigan to support them".

That being said, most small cars are being produced in Asia these days.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler was badge-engineering Mitsubishis from Japan in the late 70's-early 80's, even when anti-Japanese fever was at it's peak. Nothing new. Look around your crib. Count up all of the items made in China, Korea, Japan, Macao. Why should automobiles be sacred?. Profits are sacred.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One key difference is South Koreans and Japanses are paid fair wages. China has a way undervalued currency that allows them to wipe all other labor markets off the face of the earth. Plus the Chinese gov't does not give crap about thier people. There are no work rules, no fair pay and no saftey regulations, by purchasing those products that includes us in this cycle of inhumanity set up just to line the pockets of our country's top two percent rich. They may get my money anyway, but damn it they'll have to work a little harder to get it!

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its DaimlerChrysler not Chrysler, and the company is not strickly American. Its German. They call the shots in Stuttgart.

Welcome to globilization.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't blame DC for sending jobs overseas...they need to do what they have to in order to compete...

You should instead direct your anger at the federal government, which has made it too easy and attractive for domestic manufacturers to move jobs overseas and then sell their products back here in the states...

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Toyota came off the assembly line in Kentucky, my Dodge Grand Caravan in Canada. So which one is the import?

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like General Motors missed the opportunity to have Chery build the Chevy. I've had the misfortune of being given Hyundai Accent (or Accident, as I came to know it) and a Kia Spectre as rental cars. Now I feel sorry for every poor bloke I see driving those cars. Awful. Can't imagine China can do much better. Whenever I see Made in China, I think poor quality, although I know that's not always the case. To say nothing of that fact that it looks like the US can't make anything these days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.