Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Roostertail info please for uk soulman « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Motown_man
Username: Motown_man

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and i intend to visit your wonderfull city next year. We are both Motown freaks and plan on visiting the motown studio.We want to stay in detroit for about 7 days and would welcome any info on any Motown related music venues, shows, by original or tribute artists that may be happening in 2007, in and around Detroit.We would also be delighted for any information on Motown at the Roostertail. I know that in the past there have been many Motown reunions at this venue. Is there one planned next year? if so when and how would one obtain tickets. Any info would be more than welcomed.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown Man,
Berry Gordy used to have "Motown Mondays" at the Roostertail, all the Motown artists played there.
One favorite LP is the "Four Tops live at the Roostertail".

http://www.roostertail.com/his tory.asp
www.soulfuldetroit.com
www.sixtiesdetroit.com

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown_man, welcome to the Forum! I hope your plans are going well for next year's visit to the D (as we call it here). You'll have a great time!

The Roostertail is a banquet hall that can be rented by individuals, organizations or businesses. It's not a place that has regular events like a nightclub or concert venue. They may or may not have events scheduled for next year, but it would be worth a call/email to see if they have anything scheduled for next year. Use the link above to the Roostertail to get the contact info.

Loeb also linked to the SoulfulDetroit.com website, the sister discussion board of DetroitYES. You can click on Loeb's link or click on the link on the column to the left. I'd post your Motown request there as well. Many of the musicians, singers, promoters, etc. who played during the Motown era and with many of the groups post there. You could probably even find a tour guide who'd love to take you around the city to different Motown spots.

Another suggestion I'd have is contacting the Motown Museum directly and explaining your theme and itenerary. They could probably provide a list of related tourist spots and events for you when you're in town.

Again, hope you have fun in the D!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try these websites.

www.visitdetroit.com has info about the city and a bit on Motown.

www.motownmuseum.com is the website to the museum. Make sure the volume is turned up a bit on your computer when you hit here. I don't care what people say about the Jackson 5, those first 8 bars of "I Want You Back" are killer.

Bvos' idea about posting on Soulful Detroit is a really good one. There's a lot of knoledge about Soul Music in general and Motown in perticular over there.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.