Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Coney island crime scene? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

something went down at the coney island on clay @ 75 late this afternoon, but the it-bleeds it-leads media has yet to report it(!!!) You'll just have to make the leap of faith and beleive me when I say there were about 10 dpd cars, a CSU van, and yards of crime scene tape. I was just a block away in my shop, but didn't hear a single siren...I am just curious as to what happened.

now, should I apologize in advance for fanning the fires of paranoia? I'm not entirely sure if I could sleep tonight if someone was angry at me for posting about a crime that happened in detroit

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 24, 2006)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the up do date news...

I think you should post some positive news to offset the negative...IMHO

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if Gravitymachine owns a TV but this was reported on Fox 2 at 10pm tonight. They even brought their cameras along to film it!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WhoaaA!!!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title of this post gives me an idea for a "theme" coney island, kinda like the tepid Hollywood coney place decorated with pics of movie stars, but much more realist...
The Crime Scene Coney Island Cafe would be decorated with police photos of real detroit crime scenes and would feature daily specials named after infamous detroit crimes.
i.e.
"The Collingwood Avenue Massacre"
(Two looseburgers and fries, all smothered in coney sauce)

The "67 Riot"
A searing hot steak sandwich with a side of fiery hot chili

The "Garfield Massacre"
(4 large meatballs with tomato sauce on a bed of linguini)

The "Bubba" (A half-pound char-broiled burger slathered with mayo-guaranteed to cause obesity)

Any of you are welcome to steal my idea...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 961
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homicide. Man is sitting in his car at the Coney around 5 p.m. Another man walks up to the car and shoots him in the head. Point blank. Broad daylight. Bang. Shooter flees. Police are investigating. Source Channel 7.

Is anybody really surprised? Anybody shocked that a life is thrown away so easily in the city?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck.

i really dont understand...

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be fooled, it's not just this city by any stretch of the imagination.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares where it is. its just ridiculous. and it happens waaaay to often in this city.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm clicking my heels together and repeating 'theres no place like home' until someone can post about a new potential development rumor downtown or a crime-free walk thru capitol park.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 962
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Tetsua. Try this one on for size:

Farmington couple found stabbed repeatedly in their home about a year ago. The woman, 85, was dead when a friend found them. The man, 87, was rushed to the hospital. No signs of forced entry. This story was all over the local news.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 963
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport will like this one:

A Dearborn Heights man, 30, was shot twice in front of his home when he went out to confront some thieves breaking into car in the middle of the night. He didn't get a chance to say much to them. The two suspects opened fire as soon as they saw him coming. Shot twice in the leg. Police arrested two guys, teens from Detroit, shortly afterwards and recovered a stolen car radio. Once again, about a year ago. All over the local news.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try hemingway, but this shit happens every day in Detroit and some of us are sick of it and sick of people trying to explain it all away by saying that crime happens in other places too.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 964
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a suspected drug related one:

A Southfield man died when a couple of guys sprayed his SUV with gunfire near 12 and Lasher last summer. Lots of bullet holes. The guy, in his 30s, drove a little bit further before he flipped his ride and died. Cops found a lot of cash in the car, but shooters didn't even try to take any of it. They just drove off. Cops suspected some sort of drug tie. All over the local news.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 485
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah yeah, tit for tat!

the world is a much greater place, and I personally sleep better at night, knowing that for every person shot in detroit, there was someone else shot someplace else.

keep 'em rolling!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 965
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'm not forgetting crime in the city. Man, the suburbs have nothing on the city when it comes to crime. Let's stick with the Coney Island theme for this one:

A couple of guys shot a DPD officer during a robbery attempt at a coney on the east side. The off-duty officer is just in there minding his own business when these two guys go in, exchange words and then open fire. The cop shot back and hit the suspects multiple times. One collapsed in the parking lot and died. The other made it down the block. Witnesses said a guy in a cadillac drove up, talked to the suspect, took the gun and drove away. If I remember correctly both the cop and the second suspect survived.

And we can go with police shootings in the city all night long. How about the one where a couple of cops were shot during a traffic stop on the northwest side. They pulled over a car that matched the description of a car used in a driveby earlier. Cops walk up to talk to the people in the car and find bullets flying at them. Both officers were hit. The cops returned fire as the car drove away. All over the news earlier this year.

But why stay with cops. How about teachers. The one where the teacher came into her school near Corktown earlier this year only to be mugged inside the school. I think a similar robbery happened at another Detroit school last year on the east side.

The one that really takes the cake. The really sick one has to be guy who set his family on fire. A guy who had mental problems got into a argument with his mom and decided to set her and his neice on fire. The mom died. The neice escaped to a neighbor's house. The guy then went to his job in the burbs and shot a coworker. Police found the suspect dead in a car in a random Redford driveway. Self-inflicted. This happened right between Christmas and New Year's and was all over the news.

These stories go on and on and on. It's been like this for decades. These stories are all tragic. My sympathies and condolences go out to all of the victims, their families and friends. And I apologize if bringing these stories up again causing them anymore grief. They go through a world of pain and suffering none of us ever want to experience. All of these stories need to be told, but do we have to see them everywhere we turn? I don't know how often crime should be posted on the forum or what crimes merit mentioning and which ones don't. I just don't want the forum to turn into a police blotter.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who have read my infrequent posts know that I am an enthusiastic booster of the city. However, as Shark mentioned we need to stop “trying to explain it.”

Yes, I admit that I do not have an exact solution to Detroit’s crime epidemic, but I do know that we Detroiters need to stop accepting the crime as a way of life.

Yes, there may be non-reported crimes in our suburbs and murders in other metropolitan areas, but does that make it acceptable? The very second a horrible news story emerges from Detroit, we yelp, “Eh, Detroit’s a big city. Crime happens everywhere. Get used to used to it.”

Is not something wrong with this scenario? We often are more concerned about our fair city’s fragile reputation and image than the often-innocent lives that are destroyed. Our city’s leaders even rush to protect our image before they make mention of victims.

Well, it is about time that we get sick and tired of being sick and victimized. No matter how much we try to believe it, the levels of crime in Detroit are not normal or average. And if they were average, they could still be lower.

At the moment, I am studying abroad for a year in Monterrey, Mexico. The crime rates here in the inner-city are much lower than those of Detroit. Here it is actually rare to hear of a homicide. In Detroit, the news stories have left us calloused. We are surprised when we do not learn of a homicide within any given newscast. I am not bashing Detroit. I love the city like an ill grandmother who needs help recovering. However, when these news “stories” become real to a person, the individual begins to view the crime differently. Sometimes we forget that these are “real” people that are murdered almost on a daily basis. When these murders hit home and affect you, the “image” of Detroit stops being a primary concern.

Most of us on this forum care about the well-being of Detroit, but it necessary that we recognize the evil for what it is. Though we may not individually have power to significantly lower homicide rates, let’s change our “It happens everywhere!” to “It’s unacceptable! We won’t allow it to continue!” Let’s send a clear message.

- Young Detroiter,
sending greetings from Mexico
"Believe 'N the D!"

(Message edited by Young_Detroiter on September 25, 2006)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8820
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroiters are so upset about the crime, where are the rallies? Where are the citizens DEMANDING that the city take back the streets from the criminals?
It doesn't cost anything to demonstrate and band together to end this circle of violence; To demand better from a complacent police force that shrugs it shoulders at most crime.
Instead, people just bitch and moan and look for the first opportunity to leave Detroit while doing nothing. The same people remove their children from an inept DPS when the teachers go on strike but not when the schools are functioning (if you can call it that!).
It seems it is every else's problem but their own.
Rise up people and take back your city! DEMAND BETTER than what you are getting.

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man and I used to go there sometimes after rugby practice. They had bad azz chilicheese fries. That's one thing about livin' here in South Carolina. No Coney Islands and No White Castle...sucks I know.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there still a few local high school rugby teams? Rugby was a club sport at the U of Wis, so I occasionally played on their rugby teams while in my 40s as a hooker or fullback.

There was a rugby association during the 1980s which was headquartered in Madison WI with Jim Taylor of the Green Bay Packers serving as its Commissioner.

Madanthonywayne
Username: Madanthonywayne

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh oh, is this about violent crime in Detroit? Shame on GravityMachine for posting this. Crime happens in other cities too, you know!

When does this thread get deleted? Just curious.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 785
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

m' lady played rugby for berkely high

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played for Detroit. We practice and play at Farwell Field at 8 Mile and Ryan. Rigth behind the light gurad armory. Yeah we support alot of youth rugby in the area. Troy athens and Grosse Pointe. Both highs. I play for the Chrleston Outlaws now here in SC. I play hooker too. Nothing like Detroit Rugby though. Stay gritty live gritty. Here's the website. www.detroitrugby.org

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.