Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » National Avanue in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi ladies and Gents,

I'm doing some research into some history.

I'm looking for a Street called National Avenue, more closely, 2114 National Avenue. It seems not to be in any maps online, maybe the street was done away with? this would be around 1954. Can any of you map slueths gemmie a hand here?

thanks,

Scofield

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 1930s map shows National, which I've indicated as a greenish line.

I think the street was renamed to Cochrane, after the famous old Tigers player, sometimes after that map

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National was renamed Cochrane (runs up the west side of Tiger Stadium). Ignoring I75 it basically runs from Michigan Ave up to Grand River.

sorry ~ slow to post

(Message edited by lilpup on September 24, 2006)

Scofield

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks gents... :-)

Scofield

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi again gents... I was digging around on the net and entered into mapquest for directions to that street... and it wouldn't give me directions to that address see below:

1: Start out going WEST on xxxxxxx ST toward xxx xxxx <0.1 miles Map

2: Turn RIGHT onto xxx xxx N. 1.0 miles Map

3: Merge onto I-75 N toward DETROIT. 9.0 miles Map

4: Take EXIT 49 toward ROSA PARKS BLVD. 0.4 miles Map

5: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto FISHER FWY W. 0.2 miles Map

6: Turn RIGHT onto COCHRANE ST. 0.1 miles Map

7: End at [2200-2237] Cochrane St

it wouldn't do 2114.. I just wonder if that road split somewhere and part of it was named something else?

hmmmmm...

thanks again... maybe we can dig up that info... anyone?

Scofield

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickey Cochrane... One of the GREATEST TIGERS EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Only played a couple of seasons with us, but helped Our Tigers win their first World Series as a catcher.

BTW, he was a player/manager.

Detroitej72...Longtime Tigers Fan

Scofield

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should fess to what I am looking for... it's a Baptist Church, was named National Avenue Baptist Church was at the address 2114 National Avenue. it was incorporated into a Church on 3/17/1954. It later was renamed Canaan Baptist Church and by 1961 had moved to Taylor, Michigan. I was just wondering if the original church building still stood, or if any, what kind of building was it? storefront? or what?

just wonderin' :-)

-Scofield :-)

Scofield

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the reason is... I went there tonight for a gospel sing... and the building looked quite old. and I got to sniffin' around and looked up the documents on state of michigan businesss look up, which any can do at:

http://www.cis.state.mi.us/bcs _corp/sr_corp.asp

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 2914 (zoom in on the scan - you just barely see the loop on the nine) - Cochrane & Temple

http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/120303/rel_20031203038. shtml

Scofield

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what scan?

:-)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Mikem!

(must be out of town)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.