Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Work at Fort-Shelby? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a huge Dumpster filled to the brim with garbage like old chairs and the like sitting in the parking lot next to the Fort Shelby (Lafayette side). I haven't seen anybody working inside lately. Could that renov. project be back on?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too...the dumpster seemed new to me...

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A dumpster. My goodness! You heard it here first, folks!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it's the first sign of progress at the F-S in years, kitty.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not aware the Fort Shelby was ever off.

In fact the project was given $6.8 million in tax credits just last month.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060816/B IZ/608160392/1001

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean the deal was off, sorry. I meant, "the work is back on." I hadn't seen anybody touching it for months. Hell, not since they did that environmental study this spring or early summer.

Pffft

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep after the initial flurry with the electricians etc., work had stopped. So this is good.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes, I agree, at a project like the Fort-Shelby, a dumpster means something.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, this is a sign that the abatement which was supposed to start in August is beginning.

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/shelby54.aspx

(Message edited by eric on September 23, 2006)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the complexity of the how long it took the Book Cadillac to get off the ground and get started, the Fort Shelby will take just as long. A dumpster is progress.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4482
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would it take just as long? The Fort is significantly smaller, and a less complicated project. I don't expect it to move at lightspeed, but it sure shouldn't take as long as the B-C.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From John Gallagher of the Free Press:
"On the Ft. Shelby, I know they've lined up their state tax credits, but the word is that they still have a long way to go to get the rest of the financing in play. It wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to clean it up some to impress potential bankers."

That'd make a lot of sense to me.

Eric

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by about 11 there was a door open on the Lafayette side, the lights were on and through the windows I could see what looked to be a few workers.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything fun in the dumpter? ;-)

I would think it would be fascinating and fun to work in these old buildings - if they are being renovated.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same things I noticed when I went by yesterday Eric. Are the just doing remediation work right now or are they doing significant work?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell if there is anything significant going on but, they took the old metal awning off which was a safety hazard.

I walk past going from work to the parking lot. I will take my camera one day next week and sneak some shots as I walk past on the inside of the place.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really doubt that anything other than remediation work is being done, since nothing in the media or on this site has indicated that the deal has closed yet. Remember all that remediation work at the B-C that took placed long before the deal was closed.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk past going from work to the parking lot. I will take my camera one day next week and sneak some shots as I walk past on the inside of the place.

On the 1st Street side, someone cut a circular hole into one of the blue pieces of plywood. You can peer into the building there. Not much to see. It smells like my grandma's basement.

Burnsie

Post Number: 658
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, that musty, dank smell. I remember it really permeating the sidewalks around Hudson's, especially on hot days.

Eric

Post Number: 555
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else see George Bullard's blog post today?

This photo is the Pick Fort Shelby Hotel, built in 1918, on West Lafayette between First and Second, not too far from downtown. It closed in the 1970s.

Optimists hope to restore the building into a modern hotel and apartments. But for decades it's been mostly an empty shop of broken windows. The last memorable business in the hotel was the Anchor Bar, which occupied part of the first floor for a while.

More recently, vultures have been spotted circling the building.

Old buildings apparently are not all that economical to re-use, else the Shelby would have been revamped. The Fox theatre being one exception.

If the Shelby and other abandoned buildings couldn't revive in the booming 1990s, there's little hope for a future in current downturn.

The city's so down, it has trouble attracting Starbucks.

http://info.detnews.com/george bullardblog/index.cfm

(Message edited by eric on October 01, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6960
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Shelby and other abandoned buildings couldn't revive in the booming 1990s, there's little hope for a future in current downturn.

Uh, George, there IS a hope for a future in current downtown because the funding is secure and the project is a go. Yours is an interesting perspective; that since abandoned buildings weren't renovated 10 years ago, they shouldn't be renovated now. But, upon examination, appears to be full of crap.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I see nothing wrong in not being able to attract a Starbucks, and if you're using that criteria as an indicator of the economic health of your city, you got troubles I don't want to even talk about.

Out here, they're in almost every supermarket and on what seems like every streetcorner. The problem is they have the heart, soul and warmth of my ex-wife. I'll take the little independent anytime, thank you.

Burnsie

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that Bullard's statement was idiotic, but I'd hesitate to say that "the funding is secure and the project is a go." Until we hear that the deal has officially closed, nothing is "secure."

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6961
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bulk of this project is funded by HUD loans and tax breaks. That part is in place. Apparently the investors have issues on their end, but they're contributing such a small part of the overall cost that they should be getting their act together.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4526
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullard sounds like a Debbie Downer type. It's getting harder and harder to paint downtown as a wasteland or ghosttown which makes his blog just seems very hollow. Detroit has a long way to go, but if he really wants to try make a judgement off of a city by how many Starbucks it has (we had a thread on this) you can see that he's grasping for straws. Now, if he wants to go out furthre into the out neighborhoods, some that are continuing to die, we may have a point. But, downtown? No.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks. Don't get me started.

They've dumbed down their recipes and cut training so severely (or just have bad trainers) that they've become the McDonalds of coffee.

But there's always a good chunk of folks who will go with the brand they know rather than try anything new, and sticky sweet gunk usually appeals to them, so I'm sure Starbucks will continue to be a good investment.

Sorry, I know this is about the Fort Shelby, but to use Starbucks as a barometer of viability is just dumb. Starbucks come in after an area "arrives" and then provides lowest common denominator "class" for folks who don't know any better.

Much better bellweathers are when the real money opens it's wallet - and that seems to be happening in Detroit.

Eric

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy is an editorial writer so he works just down the street from the Fort Shelby. You'd think he might look out the window sometime or take a walk in the area that is longer than from the News' parking lot to the building. Even his own paper did story on the enviromental work this summer.

Good to hear that funding is in place or is at least very close.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 739
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That blog post is full of errors:

quote:

The last memorable business in the hotel was the Anchor Bar, which occupied part of the first floor for a while.

The name of the bar was Shelby's. The Anchor Bar is located around the corner.

quote:

Old buildings apparently are not all that economical to re-use, else the Shelby would have been revamped. The Fox theatre being one exception.

What about the Kales, Orchestra Hall, Trappers Alley, The Opera House, the 5 buildings of Merchants Row, the 3 buildings of The Lofts at Woodward, the Vinton, the Iodent, the Lafer, or the Book-Cadillac?

quote:

The city's so down, it has trouble attracting Starbucks.

Starbucks just opened a 6th Detroit location on Woodward. How many more do we need to attract?
---------

It is scary to think that this guy works for a Detroit newspaper. After reading his blog post, I would swear that he had never even been to Detroit.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6962
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik, the Anchor was originally in the Pick. They later moved to the present location.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 740
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelby's was the last bar in the Fort Shelby Hotel. They were there after the Anchor Bar moved around the corner.

Maybe I should have said "It is scary to think that this guy works for a Detroit newspaper. After reading his blog post, I would swear that he hasn't been to Detroit in 10 years."

Pffft

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the Anchor Bar's second location was in the Fort Shelby. Originally it was on the other (west) side of the News. So now it's in its third location.

Bullard is a free-lancer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.