Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Metro Detroit Shopping malls « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not find that old thread about the inner ring malls. Maybe too much time has passed? I thought you all would like these pix. Apparently Fairlane was designed by Ford Motor company, headed by John Najjar, the same designer who bought us the Mustang 1 concept, leading to the '65, and the '58 Lincoln. These pics were shot at planning meetings in the late 60s early 70s.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/80457.html?1158810572

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, my forum is still on here. Its in the middle of the list. Your post makes sense though. Much of Dearborn is the FORD PROVING GROUNDS.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 22, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6912
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of years ago, Andy and I were posting scans of old Detroit newspapers with notable headlines. I was scanning the Free Press from the day the Tigers won the 1968 World Series and happend to notice a small article in the Business section, reporting Ford's announcement of a retail development in their soybean field on Southfield Road at Michigan Avenue.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh by the Lowell, I believe Cambrian has copyrighted my Post about the inner ring suburban malls without my or your permission

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like that picture of Najjar standing near the model of the washer and dryer buildings (or "salt and pepper" if you please)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

incidentally packman there is a 1954 convertible coupe sitting in the lobby of Compuware right now. Its there for as a tie-in with the re-opening of the Historical Museum. Henry Joy's car will be on display at the opening.

I used to caddy for Najjar's replacement, Wayne Doran as a boy. I can remember riding our bikes down Evergreen as kids and watching them build all of that stuff. The Fairlane Mansion was a popular destination for our rides.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on September 22, 2006)

56packman

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My former employer and Wayne were tight. They built Fairlane together.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You worked for Ford? Najjar?

56packman

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian--no, I worked for Richard Kughn, who was the president of Taubman during the Fairlane project. It was basically Dick's baby--as was 12 Oaks, Lakeside Briarwood, and several others in other states/cities.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.