Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Resources from the Past « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps everyone on this forum knows this except me: Is there an online resource where one can access complete Detroit Free Press/News newspapers from the past, including classified ads from the 1950's, '60's and '70's? Real Estate and automobile ads from those years would be of particular interest.

I suspect these are on microfilm or other media within certain Detroit libraries, but for those outta town, are there other possibilities?

Many thanks -

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6910
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.hornwrecker.com

Karl

Post Number: 4108
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's 2 of us who are clueless. Anyone else?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6911
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You clicked the link, didn't you.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahaha.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone direct me to information on cleaning spit-taked coffee off my monitor?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, as far as I know there are only the library microfilm files. Some papers are backwardly archriving the papers and charge access fees. NYT has done that for a long time. I think the DN does too now.

Detroit News gave their photo collection to the Reuther library at Wayne who is slowly but surely putting those online. A number of those photos have graced these pages already.

Karl

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Lowell -

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland University has the old Freep and News microfilms to browse.

Wilderness
Username: Wilderness

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many libraries that have newspapers on microfilm participate in the inter-libray programs.
Generally there is a fee for each spool of microfilm.

The inter-library ONLY allows you to view the microfilm in your library (not remove from premises). Not all libraries have the same printing capabilities for microfilm (som smallers libraries may be a downright inconvience).

Some years back I inquired for some inter-library of the Chicago Trib from a source in Springfield, Ill. It was perefectly feasible, however the bulk and slowness of gathering and going through microfilm is quite tedious (for those that have never done so.)

There is a national effort to gather a list of microfilm that exists in all libraries. In 2002 there were 6-7 states there were holding up the entire process due to lack of budget. One of which was Michigan. CMU had commited budget for the Michigan process and where that stands in 2006, I'm not sure.

Some place I have a link for the national website of index microfilm, unfortuamtley I'm unable to locate it.

Here's a link for Newspapers, however what they provide for free is minimum and pretty much useless.
Full access is fee based.

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

(Message edited by wilderness on September 23, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.