Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » COPPER CUPOLA salavaged from Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this stuff legal salavage? What do you think?
Quote "salvaged from a 100+ year old building from Detroit."

I found this item on Craigslist.org in the Detroit site.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/for/209770023.html
copper cupola.jpg

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More than likely, it was stolen from an abandoned building. However, unless someone files a police report, it's doubtful that he or she would face criminal prosecution.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4365
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger, see what addl. info. you can glean.

jjaba suggests you look into the long history of the stolen Lee Plaza Lions on this Forum a few yrs. back. Some of them were returned to the City of Detroit, some stolen ones are in the facia of some new Chicago row houses in Uptown.

jjaba.

Dhugger

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the web site per the post above. If one goes to the link the phone number is listed on Craigslist classified ad.

I did read about the Lee Plaza Lions and was lurking on this web site at the time. The Lee Plaza Lions came to mind when I saw this piece of Detroit history.

Hoping some one might recognize the piece here on the forum.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That thing looks big.. at least 5 foot in diameter. I saw picture somewhere that there was a structure on the top of Lee Plaza. Perhaps this is it?
I can't find a close up of the Lee P roof to be sure.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5056
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lee Plaza is not 100+ years old, nor do I think this could have possibly come from it. Looks like more of a residential house fixture than anything you'd find on a giant residential hotel.

Dhugger

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emailed the seller with questions regarding this cupola. Maybe they are a legit reseller who knows? Response:

"Cupola measures 50 inches across the parallel sides & approx. 50 inches tall. It is not real heavy ... was removed from a carriage barn of a Victorian home in the downtown area of Detroit. I want $xxx that is the price I paid at auction."

So this may be a legit removal of if they bought it at auction. People do have these type of auctions & strip the homes before demo in Detroit right?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it's from the cupola on top of the McGregor Carriage House in Rivertown?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.