Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What Would A Future Detroit Look Like? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jz_detroit
Username: Jz_detroit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here an artist or know of an artist that has drawn renderings of what a Detroit of the future would look like? Skyscrapers, bridges, roads, freeways, lighting, landscaping, and even parking lots, lol.

I'm always curious of what Detroit would look like in the year 2010, 2020, or even 2040.

What would you expect it to look like?

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, Detroit will look better and will become better politically and governmently in the year 2040. I think we need a repeat of World War II if thats the case.

And yes, I did make up the word governmently to create issues. I thought it flowed right with what I was saying.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 21, 2006)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White control leadership.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another bout of intense military spending won't do much for Detroit in the future. Any such manufacturing would be done elsewhere as it currently is done now.

Detroit's infrastructure is quite out of date and its residents are, quite frankly, not highly sought after in today's economy. The nation has been moving on without Detroit for years already. Nobody outside of Detroit cares, nor should they.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Livernoisyard.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will not be a city in the next decade or two. There will be a cluster of towns that was once Detroit.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4467
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, because once you've exploited all that you possibly can out of something, you ball it up and throw it in the trash. That's how our culture works. You don't retool or recycle, you simply throw it away and move on. You know, kind of like cancer loves to do. There is no such thing as importance in history and sense of place. Those "feel good" ideals are an antiquated relic of pre-war America, part of a bygone time before we had lost our innocence after WWII, right?

Detroit doesn't quite add up in our current equation. Don't you all know that all people are valuable equal, but some people are more valuable an equal than others? Geeze, get with the program. Detroit doesn't need to exist, anymore, because all of its resources have been exhausted, human and otherwise.

What a glorious future we've provided for all in America. What an enviable position we are to have the pleasure of counting our fellow citizens as statistics and numbers to be manipulated and worked for all their worth. What a bright future we have to look foward to where we don't have to be concerned about, or bothered with, fellow citizens we have worked so hard to leave behind. After all, you are more deserving of the American Dream than they, right?

You know, if you kick them in the face hard enough, they stop making noise. That, or you push them back to the bottom of the pyramid were you can't hear them.

Detroit?! What is this thing you call "Detroit"? Forget it, we don't have the time to learn from our mistakes, it's not of enough importance. We've got things to do and people to see. We're off to Phoenix, you know, the city that rose from the ashes, right...?

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 21, 2006)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit to LMichigan here ... that's a great post.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4469
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it will make the rounds on HotFudge, though. lol You know, I am, afterall, the antithesis of everything right and proper with this country. You know, the liberals that are more dangerous to this country than the terrorist. lol

Dtown1

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true LMichigan. Although, Detroit will always exist to the people who know and loves it, such as the folks on poverty and the people in the suburs or the pre and post WW2 Americans. Truly, there not loving the new Detroit, their loving all the things that Detroit was once known for, and that can keep a place alive in people's hearts also. They just don't want to be part of the way the cities being run. Doesn't mean Detroit is worthless. It's the people runningit that are worthless, expect for few such as Maryann Mahaffey and Martha Reeves and Hasen Clarke. Mahaffay was a fighter. She always wated what was the best for Detroit. That's why she always lived in the city of Detroit. and Clarke and Reeves know about the true Detroit. As a matter of fact, Martha Reeves grew up right behind my grandmother's house on Sheridan and Vernor and Clarke grew up on Mack and Baldwin. So they know how the city fell from how it once was, not some young guy with mommy as Senator Kwame Kilpatrcik.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In related Martha Reeves news

www.firejerryo.com

quote:

It's become abundantly clear to those around City Hall that Councilwoman Martha Reeves is ill-equipped to be there, much less finish her term. Rumors have suggested that Reeves has shown up to work inebriated. The Call'em Out group is circulating recall petitions on Reeves but she should resign and spare herself the embarrassment of a recall.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10665
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be worse, remember good old Lonnie? Man, did he ever "work the system!"

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8815
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. If the city of Detroit still exists it will probably be with a population of about 200,000 with a bunch of smaller towns/cities surrounding it.
Detroit cannot continue on the path it is currently on, in all regards.

River_rat

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I agree with almost everything that you say.

However, all the people who made Detroit great, like Elvis, have left the building. They are not whining about what Detroit has become because they have moved on to areas with competent government, police, courts, and where the citizenry takes responsibility for their actions.

that is why there won't be a Detroit in the future.

Dtown1

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, I was trying to be nice, but their arent many just people on this earth anymore. I'm still sticking with the other thing I said though, because that is true.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picture a futuristic Detroit with monorails, pedestrian tubes and freeways interlocking in every direction! Oh wait, that was the Detroit of the 1970's.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4474
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RiverRat, you can't agree with my post dripping with sarcasm, and come to the conclusion that Detroit doesn't need to exist. You hit up on my sarcastic point that all people are valuable and equal, but some are more valuable and equal than others. What you're saying is that there are no more heros and stars to be made in Detroit, that 800,000-900,000 human beings are unredeemable and worthless with no value. That none of these people can make themselves stars and heros.

One can either believe that and work to reshape the redeeming qualities of a community, and that includes both people living inside and around those communities. Or, you can choose to believe that there is nothing redeeming in what we already have, thus newer is always better. Really, if there is no Detroit in the near future (which isn't even possible, IMO), than there is no nationally and internationally competitive Metro Detroit, either. It's really just that simple.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corn fields. As far as the eye can see.

They may one day cover all of what we now know of as "Michigan". Some people will stay to do the bulldozing and planting, and a handfull will even stay afterwards to work the corn.

The skies will be filled with the sound of crows.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4476
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of off subject, but I have this book showing the different forest types that used to exist in the lower half of Lower Michigan, and man, there is almost nothing left of the original forest. I hadn't realized how much forest we'd destroyed for agriculture in Michigan. It's not as bad as some of the other midwest states, as much of the northern end of Lower Michigan (Up North) and most of the UP aren't productive enough to farm profitably, but Lower Michigan is almost farm after farm from coast to coast.

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I envision a new detroit. One policed with cops that don't have to eat or sleep.

Where we drive cars that get shitty gas mileage
image/bmp
6000sux.bmp (31.9 k)

We should call this metropolis Delta City and do away with crime-filled Old Detroit

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I wouldn't object if you started a Michigan forest thread. Could that seed be cultivated?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL man do I hate those RoboCop movies.

In MY ideal future Detroit the inner core of the city i.e. everything within Grand Blvd. is built much much more denser (think central london or paris) with a constant business district with alot of tall (not 12 story) skyscrapers that look like they were built in the 1920's that streches from Chene Park to the Ambassador Bridge east to west and up to Mack/MLS to the north. Which makes Midtown Manhattan look puny and Chicago a forgotten memory. There is a very extensive transit network which covers the entire region thoroughly. Subways, Commuter rails, and double decker buses even. There are NO PARKING GARAGES anywhere within the core all parking is underground. I-75 is either capped or rerouted to merge with 96 north to 94 then 94 east unitl where the current 194 175 intersection is. The Neighborhoods are rebuilt entirely albeit more denser than they were pre white flight days. Commercial strips through out the city are lively consisting of those same 2-5 story buildings that I found so interesting in the UK and Soho giving every hood a very nice human look to them. Crime rates are much lower somewhere around the 15 per 100000 range in murders and Morgan Quinto doesnt make up stats just to make the city look like shit. And to top it off the citys population is over 5 million and the region near 15, hows that for an optimistic look at the future and trust me I could go on and on and on.........

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 474
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, well at least you have a dream...

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Detroit may change its name to Savannah to reflect the landscape of many parts of the city.

If I may paraphrase Malcom X, the pheasants have come home to roost.

River_rat

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, I'm back.

I am sad to report that of the 800,000 (soon to be less than that) people left in Detroit, a significant portion of them have never contributed to any success in Detroit and they likely never will. I suggest that you read John McWhorter's new book to understand why.

I don't have any answers because there are no answers. The greatest power the earth has ever known, the U. S. Federal Government has already thrown 9 Trillion dollars at it over the last forty years. It was called "the War on Poverty". It is the costliest war we have ever fought and we sure can't fly into Detroit and say the war has been won any more than Bush did on the carrier.

Detroit will continue to wither and finally cease to exist. It is the nature of all things.

river rat

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone here an artist or know of an artist that has drawn renderings of what a Detroit of the future would look like?"

Back to the original tenor of this thread.

Perhaps, one of the arts & croissant crowd in the DY stable could step forward and emulate Jackson Pollock by splashing paint over a canvas on the floor. Offer him enough free beer, and he might even urinate on it in order to put some extra "expression" into his work. In essence, that portrayal should hit the mark as well as what any futurist could come up with.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 23, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4485
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River Rat, your level of pessimism is simply astounding. It's almost as if you're willing Detroit to not exist. Detroit is only a lost cause when every single one of its citizens has given up on it.

You also speak as if it's the only see to continue to bleed population. In fact, Cincinnati, a city people would considering more 'successful' than Detroit is bleeding people even faster.

Your pessimism almost seems to be rooted in a want for Detroit to totally dissolve. If you're going to believe that a city of 800,000+ is going to just disappear anytime soon, you're sadly mistaken. I happen to see quite a few more dark years ahead for Detroit. But, it would literally 70+ years, if even you give Detroit the current rate of loss for the next seven decades for the city to completely cease to exist. That is not only unlikely, that's insanely unlikely, and really makes me question your motives for your pessimism.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has there been a city that has made a bigger comeback than what Detroit would have to do?

I'm curious, not trying to be a smartass or sarcastic.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rome went from a city of over 1 million during the Empire (25 BC - 476 AD) to a city of fewer than 25,000 for over 1,000 years, during the dark ages, the middle ages and early Renaissance (6th century AD -16th Century AD) to now being a city of about 2.5 million.

During the middle ages the big cities in the Italian penninsula were Florence, Venice, Milan, Naples and Genoa.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've long that would be a good idea to buy up some of the more run down out lying areas, and encourage people to move closer downtown, then the out lying neighbor hoods could be turned in to orchards, pastures, farms or something. Maybe the homeless people could work the farms and sell the foods at Eastern Market? Plus, we all know how big a hard on investors and developers get for "Greenfield" lands for thier new constuction. Any body check out all the Sunflower's Ford has growing by the washer dryer buildings?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rome.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an artist and I would like to do a rough sketch of future Detroit when time permits. Maybe at the end of October.

But I will send it to Someone on the forum to post. BTW, I drew the entire city from Windsor to six mile and from Alter RD to Ford rouge plant back in 2003.

It took 4 years and is still not complete. Its just a life size map but detailed to the last building.......even drew the train tacks. 313

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rich areas will look like the Jetson's and the poor areas will look like the Flintstone's, according to the regional plans at SEMCOG.

Yes, it's true we will have fast transportation and traffic jams wil be a thing of past, only seen in historic pictures because of good regional planning and a strong commitment from transit advocacy groups and our leaders in Lansing to listen to the citizens and take actions to get things done.

And then Santa will get his elves to make new buses for SMART and DDOT and bring them next Christmas. This will convinice the city hall members in Livonia to bring back SMART.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Innovator, New York City looked pretty bad in the 70's and look at it today. It made a complete turn around.
Other comeback cities

Berlin
St. Petersburg
Tokyo
London
Dresden
Warsaw
Istanbul (Constantinople)

All these cities have been far worse off than Detroit and they came back.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but they were all in Europe, way different culture over there.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dough all that stuff was built in the 80's.... Well except for the freeway, but thats total 60's vintage.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit has a chance if the automobile companies can get their heads out of the sand (and other places) and really look at the future and see their place in the future. The American Le Mans Series is coming to town next year and will have one of the most advanced racecars in the world, the diesel-powered Audi R10. I'm still not a big diesel fan, but this car is so far ahead of the competition, that they can stay out longer without refueling and the car has maximum power while at idle! The hole that used to be Detroit can be filled with advanced engineering and computerization firms that find solutions to our future transportation needs. I think Michigan should subsidize education for anyone interested in working on future propulsion and transportation systems (just like India did).

I read where Silicon Valley may become the next center of propulsion research because they are so far ahead in battery research that could be used in electric autos.

I think that if Detroit can become a leader in advanced propulsion and automotive design, then the city can return to greatness.

Years ago while at a big computer show in Atlanta, I saw a flyer from India advertising their focus on high tech. I read at the same time that Americans were not willing to major in computer programming because it was too hard. As a result, we now see India as the center of world-wide software development and information management. I think Detroit could do the same thing...if it wants to.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also think that people can look to Beijing, China for breaking new ground in futuristic buildings. I think these can be used to spur the imagination!...

http://www.china.org.cn/englis h/2004/Jan/84895.htm

Peachlaser

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, Dubai can be an example...

http://images.businessweek.com /ss/06/03/dubai/index_01.htm

Peachlaser

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I hope that I'm not shutting discussions down! I've made comments in two active topics and then people stopped posting. Please tell me that I'm not stopping the discussions! : )

Trainman

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that people are not answering my posts. But the truth is that I'm a very caring compassionate, loving, helping person who really wants to help the city of Detroit.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you boot a flying car?

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac will make a come back, from the grave.
The French will repopulate Detroit and reclaim what once belonged to them... Grand Circus park will be replaced by another Arc de Triomphe and Woodward will become the next Champs Elysees with Channel, Yves Saint Laurent, Marc Laudroff and Kenzo storefronts.

Bienvenue a Detroit...

;-)

(Message edited by Frenchman_in_the_d on October 06, 2006)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If or when Detroit ever does recover economically I hope we do not make the same mistake of focusing our economy in one industry such as advanced propulsion, computer programming, or etc. The future detroit should seriously diversify its economy and focus more on the sevice, finance, and research based sectors as unionized blue collar jobs are eventually all going to be in China.

I also dont think the Dubai or Beijing "ultra modern" buildings would fit well here. It wouldnt blend well with our existing stock of highrises. But I do like the type of skyscrapers they are building in London and Frankfurt I wouldnt mind those in skyline. Also, note how Dubai is a very sprawled jumble of skyscrapers and beijings new development isnt that dissimilar, I would prefer the wall to wall development that older American and European cities downtowns have. Those buildings shown on the sites you provided, Peachlaser definitely wouldnt fit in, at least not well.

Trainman what are you asking in your post? You really dont ask any questions you just post your opinion about some transit bill over and over again on every thread so I imagine that is why people ignore you. I dont intend to be rude as I havent been posting here long either, but start you own thread if you want to discuss the transit issue with people id listen.

and lol to Frenchman

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2888
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What Would A Future Detroit Look Like?"

Maybe just like it does now:

Thanks to ItsJeff Cartographic & Graphic Arts Services, Inc.

(Message edited by MikeM on October 06, 2006)

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Transit Authority

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The second Detroit map looks like one of those cheap video games from the 1970s. All it needs is a little added audio of chomping noises.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mayor for the reply. Even if you don't agree with me, it's better than seeing an interesting thread die.

I do think a landmark, ultra-modern building can symbolize a rebirth and help put a skyline back into the conciousness of the world. I think it would be a mistake if Detroit does not focus on one or two industries with a future. High-tech propulsion systems seems to be a natural to me. Detroit holds a place of big influence in the world of automobiles and can regain the lead with careful thought and planning. It is going to take people with courage, insight and energy to make it work, though.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich,

Your post was very eloquent and I would agree with everything you said, except that I wouldn't be so quick to politicize the abandonment of the city. I think people from both sides of the potlicial spectrum participated. And in fact, today, you have institutions like GM and people like Roger Penske making enormous contributions. So, I would not be so quick to paint Detroit has abandoned by the conservatives and capitalists and embraced and loved by the working man and the left. Much of the capital flight of Detroit is based on the micro-economic decisions of millions of individual people. The markets control the corporations not the other way around. If all those wonderful, enlightened and open-minded blue collar Poles, Italians and Irish were thrilled and happy to lovingly embrace people of color, the retailers and developers would have just as eagerly invested in the city as the suburbs. But that's not what happened becaues indeed, it was Joe Six Pack, union member and lifetime Democrat, who was among the very first to bolt to Warren when (in his mind)Blacks "took over the city."

(Message edited by ray on October 06, 2006)

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Island
http://www.flickr.com/photos/r alf_herrmann/232546128/

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do think a landmark, ultra-modern building can symbolize a rebirth and help put a skyline back into the conciousness of the world.

Been there. Done that. It's called the Renaissance Center.

Dtown1

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey MikeM, the map is 99% like Detroit today. Only thing is you should have one big thing go all the way around the two Detroit dots in the center connecting that lists the following already stated.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5060
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 50 Years Detroit's black population will turn from this

to this

The green shows that how many blacks are now in living in Detroit and the light beige shows how not that many black-folks living in Detroit that all would be the suburbs in the near future.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will deconstruct itself into manageable areas to improve quality of life issues with more resident input and action.

There will be a push to extend the Davison Connector from Jeffries to the Lodge as this will be the last expressway inside the City.

Detroit will be a "chocolate king dong" where most caucasians and other ethnic groups (non-black) will be living near the Woodward Corridor from downtown to 8 Mile. Why, because most of the rich old housing, sports/entertainment, education & medical institutions are close to the main thorofare and main drag is ripe for some sort of rapid transit.

The outside will be mostly of black & brown folks. There will be some pockets of other ethnic neighborhoods and white folks. There will be mergining of once distinctive districts into larger areas in order to maximize resources.

Trainman

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit will be like Paris, France.
Our city will come back but the inner ring suburbs will continue to deline.

I see this in Livonia where I live but others don't see this.

I live among many abanboned buildings which is why I want the SMART buses to come back.

I think good cost effective public bus service is essential but this is only my opinion.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit in 200 years plus will be a vitale powerhouse because of the Billions of Gallons of Fresh Water that flow by. If water problems continue Detroit will rise yet again....though it may take time for scenario...

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets not forget the traffic signal upgrade on all intersections, large and small, 40% will be modern boomed and the rest will be strung overhead. That sort of shows uniformity; i dont think so

Bjl7997

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are some examples on how Detroit's uniformity should shape up when it comes to traffic signals

Ideal for
-7 mile(from Renfrew to Shiawassee)
-Greenfield (from Warren to 7 Mile
-Van Dyke/Harper
ideal for big streets

Bjl7997

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this could be ideal for 8 Mile, Mound Road and Telegraph

Bjl7997

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these could be ideal for
-Mexicantown
-Cass Ave (from Downtown to W Grand Blvd
-W Grand Blvd (from 3rd to cass
-Milwaukee
-Baltimore
-2nd Av
-3rd Av
-John R
-Brush

Bjl7997

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe the signal above would be ideal for the riverfront promenade as well. Sounds appropiate doesn't it

Bjl7997

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pertty neat idea huh???

Bjl7997

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any responses

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't we have those last ones on Woodward before they just redid it?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I hate them. I prefer something similar to the first, if those are my only choices.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing gets me more excited for the future than traffic signals... :-/

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I've ever met a traffic signal salesman before.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you have now.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prediction:
Someday we'll have virtual traffic lights. They'll be projected on everyone's windshield like a heads-up display. They'll all be synchronized by wireless. No more need to construct expensive physical traffic lights.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

listen up all y'all
detroit is occupied by blacks but all the commerce is owned by whites
the white live in the burbs
so all money made in detroit is taken to the burbs
if the people who owned the commerce of the city lived within it
detroit would be well on it's way
so find someone local who owns his/her business and actually lives in the city
ex:as far as i know, the only coney that is "black-owned with soul" is on john r and state fair
so we all get our coney there
now you do your part

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attempting to get back to address more of the original start of the thread, Jz_detroit was looking for artistic rendering of a future Detroit. To my knowledge Charles Blessing fits the bill for this in some ways. Whether you disagree with his ideas, he was a long time City of Detroit planner in the planning and Development Dept. for many years back a while ago:

"During the 1960s, Planning Director Charles Blessing attempted to comprehensively improve Detroit’s urban life. He hoped to “restore the inner city to the beauty and dignity it had fifty years ago.” Charles Blessing focused his redevelopment plans on specific spots to improve, hoping that the new areas would revitalize Detroit as a whole and relying heavily on urban design. In the end, Blessing’s schemes worked for discrete redevelopments, like Lafayette Park, but his attempt at a comprehensive plan for inner-city development was unsuccessful."--http://www.urban.columbia.edu/ magazine/issues/82/82Smith.htm

But regardless of his motives or thoughts, he was very skilled at doing 'futuristic' renderings (if I can se those terms). Unfortunately he kept inside of the Grand Blvd. area with most of them. I am not sure the best way to get ahold of his work but I did see some of it at a lecture presentation at the Detroit Historical Museum I think last year.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To ALL the people in this thread who was taking about traffic lights!!!!! One thing I wanna say:
DETROIT WILL NEVER GONNA HAVE THIS KINNA TRAFFIC LIGHTS IN THE FUTURE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EtWD5tFqvks&mode=related&sear ch=
We need to focus on new more high rise buildings,new businesses,and more badly needed improvements for the city.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7052
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, I'm honored that you kept my old map of Detroit. For those who missed it the first time around, the title was, "Detroit as Depicted in Craigslist." It was in response to all of the ads placed by people in Livonia, trying to rent out their house for the Superbowl. In those ads, Ford Field was just "minutes away," but no where near all the crackhouses that surround it.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what a wild, interesting all-over-the-place thread this has wound up to be.

The discussion gets scattered because many are defining Detroit only as the City of Detroit. In reality Detroit is a two thousand square mile international conglomerate of over one hundred contiguous communities surrounding the straits of Detroit.

The original ‘ye olde’ community of Detroit now contains only 15% of the six million who make up Detroit and even a smaller fraction of its territory. To speak only of that is to miss the point.

The total city of Detroit, while undergoing economic adjustments, is doing just fine as a whole. Millions of its middle and upper middle class populations are thriving and, while it is going through an overall wealth decline, it is {not} going to disappear. Only a geological or military disaster could take it down and then only for a while. [Consider Hiroshima at the top of comeback cities.]

As other noted above, sections of all long existing cities have risen, fallen and risen again over time. The City of Detroit’s experience is no different, only more extreme. Look at the Bowery in NYC or Old Town in Chicago – prosperous – slum – prosperous. Prospering again is exactly what is happening now in areas of downtown Detroit spreading out along its old Indian trail spokes, particularly the Woodward corridor.

Future predictions:
The future Detroit will be a united metropolis of its contiguous communities including the Canadian communities. The communities will be driven together by economic necessity and opportunity, but only after more pain and waste from not doing so.

The waste created by one hundred and fifty tiny bureaucracies all doing the same thing inefficiently will no longer be sustainable. A core of professional technocrats, hired by a metropolitan governing board, will manage a unified public safety, infrastructure and educational apparatus.

The T-shaped “Vertical Suburb” from riverfront to New Center will continue to grow and prosper in residents, wealth and day and night populations. Areas between there and the outer edges will continue to struggle until metropolitan union relieves the City of Detroit of its burden of almost all of the poor and disabled. This will happen through a break up of the City of Detroit, either if fact or essence, and the melting together of communities due to the common governance of their essential services.

The economy will continue to have a large automotive related sector but automotive will fade to be a lesser player. It will lose its dominance over the new city’s politics and economy. It will become simply another player along with information services, entertainment, research, bio-medical, educational and energy sectors.

Our economy has moved from furs to timber to shipbuilding to cars. It will evolve again driven by our skills, education, history, momentum, water, location and more. That future Detroit will continue to prosper.

Bjl7997

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is okay to have traffic signals wired strung overhead, but not too much of them though.

Bjl7997

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....Small Streets like Tireman, Joy, Chicago, Elmhurst,etc are a good example for having them wire strung over head and modern boom signals should be displayed on wide lane streets (such as Jefferson, Michigan, Grand River, Gratiot, etc)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8069
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The discussion gets scattered because many are defining Detroit only as the City of Detroit. In reality Detroit is a two thousand square mile international conglomerate of over one hundred contiguous communities surrounding the straits of Detroit.

In reality that is absolute bs until the legacy costs, taxes, insurance, costs to support the poor, homeless, etc are shared evenly.

I find it insulting to say that it is all one comunity while Detroit has to deal with the bulk of the homeless, poor, uninsured, un-educated.

Until all communities decide to take on the ills of 'Detroit Metropolis' that is a bs statement. Until we have a populace that keeps moving further out for cheaper taxes and less legacy issues that is a bs statement.

Last time I checked the homeless and mentally ill are not evenly distributed throughout this whoel metropolis.

We have to deal with the facts that the majority of the people in our fucked up region like it how it is. That is keeping the problems of the poor, the addicted, etc as Detroit's problems.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In reality that is absolute bs until the legacy costs, taxes, insurance, costs to support the poor, homeless, etc are shared evenly.

I find it insulting to say that it is all one comunity while Detroit has to deal with the bulk of the homeless, poor, uninsured, un-educated.

Jt1 you have been on the this board long enough to know are almost quoting my mantra cited on on numerous threads namely that Detroit [and Highland Park] are stuck caring for the almost all of the regions poor, felons and disabled.

Perhaps you didn't read further down in my post above where I said it again, "Areas between there [the reviving downtown] and the outer edges will continue to struggle until metropolitan union relieves the City of Detroit of its burden of almost all of the poor and disabled."

The fact that we are not one city spiritually right now does dismiss the fact that we are one interconnected fabric of communities. Detroit doesn't stop at 8 Mile and it doesn't end at 8 Mile.

Our divisions, which include an international division, of wealth, race and community borders have created this unfair burden on the City of Detroit. These divisions will fade because they are sinking us all but, as I also said above, "...only after more pain and waste from not doing so."

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8080
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps you didn't read further down in my post above where I said it again, "Areas between there [the reviving downtown] and the outer edges will continue to struggle until metropolitan union relieves the City of Detroit of its burden of almost all of the poor and disabled."

You know as well as I that will never happen. People will continue to move further out to get away from these problems and to the land of cheaper taxes.

quote:

The fact that we are not one city spiritually right now does dismiss the fact that we are one interconnected fabric of communities. Detroit doesn't stop at 8 Mile and it doesn't end at 8 Mile.

I don't see it that way since my insurance is higher, my taxes are higher, the children in my neighorhoods deal with larger problems and have less opportunities than their suburban counterparts whose families laugh about the plight of Detroit. Until the ills that Detroit is saddled with are evenly distributed throughout this 'Metropolitan' area people will turn a blind eye and make stupid jokes about the city all while lamenting about how they 'hope' the city improves. Maybe if those of us here work hard enough they will decide it is acceptable to them again.

The politics the attitude that regionalism only works when it can help reduce taxes or issues in the well to do areas will continue this divide.

quote:

Our divisions, which include an international division, of wealth, race and community borders have created this unfair burden on the City of Detroit. These divisions will fade because they are sinking us all but, as I also said above, "...only after more pain and waste from not doing so."

They certainly will not decline as people move further out and distance themselves from the 'problems' that they can conveniently laugh at.

This region is fucked, not because of the city of Detroit but the flee further away mentality. But we can continue to leave the issues to the unemployed, undereducated, underfunded people of Detroit.

If people in this region cared as much about the city as they do their new TV we would see some progress. The truth is that people can wax philosophical all day and hope for improvement all day but will not do a damn thing to help the city of Detroit, the poor in the region (wherever they live), the children that are impoversihed.

We live in a Metropolis of a bunch of uncaring people that would prefer to make more jokes about the poor and unemployed than divert one penny of their tax money to help.

SE Michigan will continue to expand so people can run from their problems. Plain and simple. SE Michigan is going to shit. Not because of Detroit but because of the flee mentality that has caused the issues that we face as a region.

Name one regional tax that people would support that would divert a penny to those more in need (cities or people) unless it also helps them or their immediate city.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5143
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit 2050 " THE FUTURE IS WILD!!"

Let's take a look at the NW side from Ford Rd. border to I-96 FWY area and from Livernois Ave to the borders of Redford TWP. The neighborhoods are retail along the main roads are getting a face lift to beautification, not because of black-folks but by a mixture of Arabs and Hispanics.

Back in 1940s all of the NW side from Ford Rd. border to I-96 FWY area and from Livernois Ave. to the borders of Redford TWP. Were used to be moslty white. By the 1980s the area was completely fill up with blacks. While they arrived to that area, lots of whites began it make their move to the suburbs fearing that they would cause trouble in the area. Then the most of the area fell into disrepair due to block busting scandals from slumlords, careless neighbors. They area was mostly ghettotized.

Later between the 1990s to 2040s, Most Arabs and Hispanics began to expand their communities away from the source, buying up most the neighborhoods and retail stores, from the Warrendale district to I-96 FWY. pushing most blacks away from Detroit and into the suburbs. Now the once black Detroit ghettohoods is now a property risen mixture of Arabs and Hispanics.

Let's take a look at area on Plymouth Rd. Between Southfied FWY. and Greenfield Rd. This neighborhood who is living on 11381 Grandmont St. is a 6 year old Arab Lebanese Muslim boy named Rami Al-Salamey. Today his mother is dressing him up so he can go to Coolidge Elementary School just down the street from his house. The houses on his block are a mixture of megacondos and bigfoot houses built by rich Arabs American Families. Not a single black family living that area since they left Detroit to greener pastures of the suburbs. Rami has met up with his best friend and next door neighbor Geraldo Gonzales. His family owned a landscaping business in the west side. He and Rami are now walking to school to meet up with his other friends to be educated. Coolidge Elementary School is part of the Detroit Public Schools but under control by corporate sponsors since it withdrew from the Michigan State Legislatures since 2022. From that point on Detroit Public Schools are in better shape then ever out beating all suburban, parochial and charter schools in all standarized test scores and increased enrollment. Meanwhile at Rami's house his mother and father are leaving their household and go to their business which is located on Grand River and Evergreen. Their business is Barber and Beauty shop.

So by 2050 The Arabs and Hispanics will be filling the void after lots of blacks had left Detroit the suburbs or any other U.S. cities.

COMMING UP NEXT I WILL TAKE TO THE EAST SIDE OF DETROIT WHERE ANOTHER GROUP OF RACE IS BUILING THEIR COMMUNITIES REALLY FAST!!

AND LATER WE TAKE A LOOK AT THE NORTHERN BORDERS AND THE LOWER SOUTHWEST SIDE OF DETROIT WHERE THE LAST REMANING BLACK COMMUNITIES ARE. ON DETROIT 2050 CONTINUES....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.