Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Moving the GAR? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a new hockey arena was built West of Woodward, would moving The GAR be feasible?

Does the the buildings construction make it harder or easier to move then say the GEM?

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would it have to be moved?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't.

Dan

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked if it was feasible, not whether it would happen.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it could....with a very expensive price tag.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's possible to move nearly any structure, finanical feasibility is another matter.

Dan

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so would the GAR cost more than the Gem to move? IF so is that because of the stone construction?

And why are some of you so quick to say its not going to be moved? Anything is possible at this point.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, I think that folks dismiss the moving of the GAR probably because it is in a location where the street around it are VERY unlikely to be closed for an arena.

You cannot close Grand River Ave.

And Cass Ave. is the major western gateway between Downtown and Midtown, so it is very unlikely to be closed.

And the reason that Adams is unlikely to be closed is due to the fact that it's one of the major exits from the Stadia/Theatre district. It would be difficult to get to outbound Grand River Ave. if Adams were closed (you can't take Bagley, since Grand River Ave. is one way (inbound) at Bagley).

And using the GAR site would require the closing of both Cass and Adams... a very unlikely scenario.

So that's probably why folks are saying it won't be moved. With both Cass and Adams unlikely to be closed for an arena, there is no need to move the GAR.

But yes, hypothetically I bet it would probably cost around the same price as the cost of moving the Gem/Century (accounting for inflation).

(Message edited by Gistok on September 22, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a better question would be... how much would it cost to move your father's Moose Lodge!

If the Arena were to be located between Cass and Grand River... that building is definitely worth a move... over to an empty spot along Park Ave! :-)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gistok, the Moose is a great building worth saving.
The GAR is on of the coolest things in downtown, I hope it survives.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.