Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Commerce Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What building is this? Anyone have a picture?

"The renovation of the Book-Cadillac Hotel got another boost Wednesday with the unveiling of plans to demolish a vacant office building next door in order to construct a new parking garage on the site to serve the hotel.

Plans for razing the Detroit Commerce Building at 150 Michigan Ave. were unveiled Wednesday at a meeting of the Detroit Downtown Development Authority. The DDA will fund the $1.4 million demolition using State of Michigan funds earmarked for such projects.

Demolition is expected to start in a month or so and take about three months to complete."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060920/NEWS99/ 60920012

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What building is this? Anyone have a picture?"

wasn't there another thread from a month or so ago that went into painfully extensive detail about this building and why or why not it should be demolished?

and while i'm at it:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/83322.html?1

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was drafting the post and as soon as I posted it, noticed that is was alread up there. And yes, there was another thread recently that discussed the building.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10635
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...anotha one bites the dust!

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is a shame that with all the vacant land next to the Commerce building that they couldnt put a garage up there. I was hoping that with the developments happening with the Book Cadillac and the Lafayette building that the Commerce would be next on the list.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, I was thinking the same thing in regards to the Lafayette, but at this point who knows how long it could be until that building even has signs of a futue. As of late I have not heard a word. Have I missed something?

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thread link above is bad.

I tried to search commerce building in the forumn and couldn't find any prior thread.

Could someone repost that thread link?

I'm interested in learning about the history of that building.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lafayette building is going nowhere. The city is still negotiating the development agreement with Peebles. The sides have still not come to terms. No real development will occur until the development agreement is signed.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

used to be known as the "peoples outfitting building", a former department store. check out mr. kohrman's wonderful site on the subject for more information: http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/peoples/index.html

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with the uncertainty of the Lafayette building I still think the Commerce building could have been redeveloped at some point. I hate to see an older building with character demolished for another downtown parking structure.

I dont see why the Commerce building cant be included in the parking structure or development. The side of the building fronting the empty lot next to it doesnt have any windows and nothing would be lost for the structure.

Also, any reason why the buildings across from the Book Cadillac on Michigan Avenue are not being considered for demolition? I know one is a hotel so thats out of the question but there is also an unremarkable 2-3 story building that could be removed for a structure.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rsa

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is the building next door to Kissels Drugs.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's the building next to the gravel lot where Kinsel's Drugs used to be.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a night photo of that block showing watt wuzz.

Michigan Ave, Night

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This picture should set the proper tone.

Its the building with People's sign on it

peoples
Kissels is under the sign

(Message edited by PSIP on September 20, 2006)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will this structure have ground floor retail? that would at least alleviate some of the pain of the inevitable.

Its going to happen guys, it sucks...but its detroit, oh hell....its america

Valkyrias

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stecks77...the link above is bad because the original post was deleted (it was a dupe post of this one).

not sure what the link is to the other thread from a few months ago on this same topic. i never have luck with searching the archives...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the link that explains the reasoning behind the demolition and what will go up there. It may be long, but it's definitely worth the read if you're interested in the project.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/61752.html

Valkyrias

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait...that was back in december? wow. either i am thinking of a different thread on a similar topic but different building, or this year has just gone by way too fast for me...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TAKEN MONDAY

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One positive to the demo is that the parking structure will not be as tall as the Commerce bldg., so there will be better views of the Book Cadillac and vice versa (out the hotel windows at the City).

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4458
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!

BTW, as usual, does anyone know who design the People's Outfitting Building, and exactly when it was renovated?

Forgotten Detroit seems to make mention of a renovation in the 60's to convert it to what it is today: Detroit Commerce Building. When exactly was it vacated?

It will be sad to go not only because it's unnecessary, but because the interior of the building is still in relatively good shape.

It's been said before, but for a more money, the developers could bypass demolition and built a vertical deck on the empty lot directly next to the People's Outfitting. They could also look at the huge surface lot right across the street from the PO and BC to construct a deck on.

I realize it's about the bottom line, and that Ferchill most likely got a better deal to buy the building, demolish it, and build a parking garage, as the people across the street probably wouldn't sell or were asking more, but it still doesn't make it any less sad to see it go. On the surface, though, it sure does seem like there were multiple options to work around the demolition, but the bottom line has to win out.

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 20, 2006)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to ask, does the DDA currently own the building?

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a date for that awesomd olde time night photo? I'd guess late 40s/early 50s because you can see streetcar wires, but anything more specific would be grand. Thanks!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the empty lot next to the B-C itself? There's nothing there and the windows don't start on that side of the building for a ways up. The garage could have wrapped around the B-C w/an entrance on the Washington Blvd. side, no? At least it LOOKS like there'd be enough room, though I don't know what the B-C's parking requirements will be.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4488
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lot to the north is going to include the new conference center and some other hotel amenities.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, I missed that. Thanks, Lmich.
Man, with all of that space in that huge building, they have to build an annex onto it? Why not just turn one of the floors into the conference center?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 548
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is needed since it will also contain a new ballroom, swimming pool and fitness center

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.