Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Lee Iacocca back DeVos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10633
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Mr Iacocca still have pull, or is this backing irrevalent? Seems like even Mr Chrysler himself can see that Michigan isn't headed in the right direction, even from California.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060920/NEWS06/ 609200350

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Christ! (Where is that guy complaining about swearing? ;P )

I don't think that Lee's points will make any headway...but the fact that the press will cover this is worth it's weight in gold. Solid move by the Devos camp.

God help us all... (is that cursing mr. curse sensor whoever you were?)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, quite frankly, I don't think Iacocca's ad is going to do much for DeVos. For interested readers, I already itemized my reasons why I think this in a blog posting.

http://igorfilms.com/blog/2006 /09/iacocca_ad_for_devos_trips _ove.html

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious. On the same day that DeVos is quoted saying he thinks they should teach "intelligent design" in the schools, we hear from that old fossil.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Quinn. Solid play, but it won't add up to much of anything. This might register in the back of some voters' minds, but I highly doubt it will be a deciding factor for anyone. Endorsements are nice things to show off, but they matter little. Barring a major shift in the political landscape, this race will still come down to personality. I still stand by my prediction that Granholm will win by five points or more.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i can only hope that you are right, E_hemingway

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 country club friends helping each other out.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Z should campaign for Granholm...see who helps get more votes.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally we see a little bit of the true Dick DeVos come out from this intelligent design endorsement. Maybe people will finally get to see what this guy is actually like. He is clearly hoping to energize his base, but also finally telling people what he really thinks, instead all this fluffed over stuff that has come out in all his glossed over ads.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that Lee and Snoop are gooing to do commecials for DeVos too.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Snoopy Dicky DeVosyvisle my nizzle.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like someone is getting desperate.
I think the debates will finally nail Devos. He'll finally have to stand on his own two feet and take some heat. It's easy to slam someone who has a public record and take sound bites to ridicule them.
It's another to go head to head with them on TV.
My bet is Jennie's gonna take him to the tool shed.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"Hilarious. On the same day that DeVos is quoted saying he thinks they should teach 'intelligent design' in the schools, we hear from that old fossil."

That old fossil saved Chrysler and knows a hell of alot about business and this state! You libs loved Iacocca when he teamed up with Jimmy Carter and James Blanchard but now that he supports DeVos he sucks?

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on September 20, 2006)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't notice anyone here saying that Iacocca "sucks", just that Devos does. Hell I bet most people would prefer Iacocca's name be on this November's ballot instead of DIck and Jenny. I'd vote for him.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4353
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it ain't fly, don't buy.

jjaba, Westsider.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's easy to slam someone who has a public record and take sound bites to ridicule them."

Just like it's easy to pass the buck and blame Bush for all the states problems?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This constant message by the DeVos'campaign to say the state is in such bad shape due to Granholm just doesnt add up,, she or any governor of any party couldn' prevent whats happening to Michigan.The corporate decisions by the automotive giants are fiscal decisions they have to make to survive based on world economic and enviromental pressures. The powers that be are way bigger than anything that Michigan could prevent. ..You would be pretty naive to think the Governors office is responsible,Its a plain stupid and empty accusation to state anything else. What the Governor can do is to react in a timely manner to these problems, everytime Granholm does she is immediately stalled by the Republicans,, politics at its best, The same would happen in reverse,,
What a world
For myself it does boil down to the parties platform as that is what will drive the Governors office. Listening to DeVos' intelligent design stance today tells me once again he will push the typical Bush agenda if elected..His religious views on everything is how the state and its people should behave. No thanks,

Paulmcall

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No matter who's in charge if they have both houses of government against them, it's gonna be tough for any governor to get anything done.
I say, "Throw the bums out".
She has a great some great ideas and plans on health care, education and jobs that just might work if she had a legislature that would work with her.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7918
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You libs loved Iacocca when he teamed up with Jimmy Carter and James Blanchard but now that he supports DeVos he sucks?

Maybe the ad sucks because someone that lives in California is telling Michigan who to vote for. If he has so much faith in DeVos why doesn't he commit to come back to Michigan if DeVos wins.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now Iacocca has no credibility because he lives in California? He knows more about business than anyone on here, and has done more for this state than most CEO's of large companies. Saving Chrysler from ruin preserved thousands of Michigan jobs.

He is a legend in the automotive business and historically has been a Democrat so his endorsement is not based on partisan politics. His current residence is not relevant to the matter. If he was coming out in support of Granholm the democrats would be all too willing to embrace him regardless of where he lives now.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it was most satisfying that Iacocca and company survived it should be mentioned that the survival would not have occured without hundreds of millions of dollars of federal bailouts/loan guarantees to facilitate it..At the time the country was in a mode that it was unthinkable for one of the big three to collapse,
Today it would not be possible for that to happen for GM or Ford, Bush and company wont even meet with the Big Three leaders let alone facilitate loan guarantees. DeVos shows little interest or plan to help them either,,Granholm has tried to promote some sort of pension assurance for laid off workers but that was immediately cut down by Republicans who said it was prejudicial. DeVos has basically stated in his Grand Rapids appearances that the automotive industry should stay in south east michigan while the rest of the state would concentrate on other industry. You can be sure Lee has some relationship/interest in the DeVos ad,, whether it be remuneration or a relationship. He has a right ofcourse, this is a democracy, just dont kid yourself. This ad is probably the start of public endorsements from notable celebrities on both sides, Hopefully people can do there own research. I really could care less if Lee is a republican or democrat

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Iococca was endorsing DeVos because he was being paid, he doesn't need the money. I am no fan of government bailouts of private business myself but the US government MADE MONEY on that deal as they were given stock options in return for the loan guarantees that they exercised for a tidy profit. Not 1 dollar of tax money was ever given to Chrysler.

Iococca was able to sell the idea to Blanchard and Carter on the basis of there would be a huge drain on the governnment coffers if Chrysler were to fail. Welfare payments, other social programs, no income tax revenue coming in and so on. It would have literally cost them more if Chrysler failed then the guarantees they were making on the loans.

He deserves 100% credit for making that happen and then having the savvy to make it all pay off for everyone. It is clear there would not be a Chrysler Corporation today without him.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4355
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all remember Lee Iococcoa driving his Chrysler up the driveway of the White House with a check and a thanks to Jimmy Carter. It was a wonderful day in Detroit.

Hey, he's entitled to support anybody he wants. Devos should make him trade ambassador. The guy can sell cars, cereal, robots, or Sanders candy.
He can sell cherries, wine, and Howell melons if you ask him. Ask him, and he'll sell washing machines, baby food, and furniture too.

jjaba.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 616
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else noticed the Amway commercials that just came out of nowhere? I especially like the Will Farrel clone they have on that spot. He is creepy. My bet is that those commercials will dissapear completely 11/8/06, and it will go back to being "the network" or "Alticore" or whatever name the zealots who want to trade all of their friendships for $500 call it.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a good homeade bumper sticker regarding this canidate.
it said:

"don't vote for a dick"

words to live by

Jt1

Post Number: 7920
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentleman - I am certainly not saying that he doesn't understand business.

My question lies more with the fact that he is disconnected with some of the issues that Michigan faces, that the struggling families in this state face, that the job seekers with no jobs and a foreclosed home face.

Again I ask - If he is so solid on DeVos why doesn't he move here if DeVos wins?

Iacocca is an extremely intelligent man and knows business. He however is probably not an expert on the current nightmare that we call the state of Michigan.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when has there been such a high standard applied to people giving political endorsements?

I doubt that Bill Clinton knows more about the state of Michigan than Iacocca does and yet he showed up at a Granholm appearance endorsing her. Maybe he should move here also?

Jt1

Post Number: 7926
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think his endorsement rings hollow as well.

(Message edited by jt1 on September 21, 2006)

Deputy
Username: Deputy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think an endorsement by Ioccoca is good for DeVos.
I was all set to vote for DeVos since I think Granholm has done a poor job. Now DeVos has shown he is a right wing religious nut by advocating teaching intelligent design in our public schools.
Here is one conservative, normally GOP voting person who will be reluctantly casting a vote for Granholm this November.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I was just making an "old" joke connecting Iacocca and fossils. Getit, intelligent design, world only 6000 years old, Iacocca, fossil dinasour can't be that old. You guys are so touchy.

(Message edited by oldredfordette on September 21, 2006)

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when did the guv have any say as to what goes into school curriculum (as I shake my head in disbelief about a politician again making up their duties as they go along).

Penn & Teller did an interesting bit on I.D. in "Bullshit!" a while back. Worth a good laugh or two if you get the chance...

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything to be governor! Who will endorse him next?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4358
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumper Sticker:
INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NEITHER.

jjaba on the Westside. rjk tells it like it tis. Thanks.

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He maybe short on details, but he can't be as bad Granholm.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, really?
Some folks thought the same as when they voted for Bush rather than Gore and Kerry.
We're all in a world of hurt now. The next guy running should be a janitor because there's a hell of a mess to clean up.
If Granholm had a legislature to work with her she might get more done. Those guys in Lansing are more to blame than she is. How are they going to replace that single business tax????

Motownman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't have to replace the tax. If you make it cheap for a business to grow they will. That makes more jobs and gets more income for the state. Plus more business would want to come here if its cheap enough.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like trickle-down-economics to me. By the time it trickles down, more people will be out of work and we'll have less services available.

Motownman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if trickle-down-economics occured, once there down the state can start rebounding and start getting those people back to work. It's defenatly beter then doing nothing.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am betting they are waiting till after the election to even talk about this. If Tricky Dick is elected, the legislature will get what they want and expect whatever replacement tax they come up with to replace just some of the SBT. If Granholm is reelected, it will be a compromise that will replace some, but not all. The legislature will never pass anything that is a complete replacement. Will be interersting especially if the school funding proposal passes and they are forced to fund schools more. Businesses always want lower taxes so they will always be pushing for no taxes, or at least the lowest ones they can get. With the current automotive industry woes, I don't think we can expect this issue to be the huge golden egg that will fix all that is wrong with the state economy. But it will help some struggling businesses in this state a little bit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.