Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit renovation and revitalization projects « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad just sent me an issue of the Detroit athletic club magazine. I was looking through it and I saw some redevelopment projects. Could you give me a list of renovation projects, and construction projects. I'm interested to hear about what new things are happening in downtown Detroit, or anywhere in the city.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/

You do the footwork.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big work going on over at the Boogie mansion I hear.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the site Sharmaal. Where is the Boogie Mansion? Other than the Book Cadilac Renovation are there any more hotel's coming downtown? Are there any plans for new stores downtown?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Pick-Fort Shelby is going to be a double tree suites

and the Ponchatrain is recieiving a 12mil makeover to become a Sheraton

Milwaukee

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good to hear about the Fort Shelby Hotel. Is anything happening to the Lafayette Building or the Detroit Free Press building? Have there been any serious plans about renovating the Michigan Central Station?

Apbest

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing for the Free Press Building, MCS was rumored to be a site for the new police HQ but it was determined too expensive and the building sits basically dead in the water...the mayor even admitted in an earlier interview that it was nearly the only "dinosaur" downtown without talks of at least some sort of redevelopment plan.

The Lafayette is being redeveloped by the Pebbles group of florida which has a good track record, but no visible progress has been made. It could be conflict with the city regarding it or other public contribution or I've heard they may be waiting on the progression of the B-C hotel project because they're supposed to share a garage...I dont really know

(Message edited by apbest on September 19, 2006)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the information. I saw a dramatic improvment in Downtown when I was last there, but I could still see alot of abandonment. It really sounds like things downtown are falling into place. Is the Penebscot building occupied? Is it a premier office building or is it out-dated and in need of renovation? Have they filled in the spot where Hudson's was? I know there was an empty lot on Campus Maritius. Do they have plans to fill that in with anything?

Apbest

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, the penobscot is occupied and doing quite well. It jsut recieved a major rennovation, it has a first rate website and looks great at night. http://www.penobscotbuilding.c om/

Campus martius is a staged development plan with 5 parcels. First the built the compuware building then the park then One Kennedy Square and now they are building out Cadillac Square as an extension of the park. The Hudson site has an underground parking structure and the city put out an RFP and granted development rights to REDICO of southfield (same company as One Kennedy Square). THe deadline for thier plan already passed, but we assume they have an extension or the delay is in someway related to what Quicken decides as the site was proposed as a potential HQ location for them. Kraemer design (http://thekraemeredge.com/) has a pretty cool rendering for the site, but I think that was just a consulation.

THe other empty lot you're referring to is the Monroe block. THere are plans to build on that, but the city hasnt issued an RFP yet and it is still a successful parking lot, but it will happen eventually, probably within a couple of years...the campus martius website provides illustration of their plan

http://campusmartiuspark.org/p ark_siteplan.htm

Apbest

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, theres a 24 hr webcam of the park you can get at their website, its updated every few minutes...it seems to be running behind right now though

(Message edited by apbest on September 19, 2006)

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penobscot Building 65% full

Apbest

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats the source for that?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The leasing agent at the Penobscot building as of this morning.

Also:
Cadillac Tower: 78%
211 W Fort: 85%
First National: 65%

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pick-Fort Shelby deal hasn't closed yet, according to other posts on other threads. And we all know that's the most challenging part.

Apbest

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds reliable to me lol

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kemp--that's funny. BTW its the "Boogie-in mansion"

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked through the city taking pics on Monday, I really enjoyed the time. Fort Shelby would be a great addition along with the Lafayette. The Book Cadillac is being worked on. If that section of town gets going then it will be amazing.
And thanks 56P I never knew that.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's alot of work downtown. What are some of the major buildings that still need to be improved. Are there any downtown that still don't have plans for renovation?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Whitney building for one.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, that's about it. Once those are done, there will be no need for any further development in the city. All set now but thanks for asking.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's funny that in every post, Milwaukee asks a different question. Even though he's been given resources to check (to use Sharmaal's phrase) he won't do the legwork on his own.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck you Crew

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now thats the DYES spirit!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the love fest continues.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.