Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Whitney restaurant sold « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard Kughn has sold the Whitney restaurant to former Chrysler executive Bud Liebler.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060919/B IZ/609190361&SearchID=73257345 304562

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to say that Kughn now has more time to play with his trains, but he sold them 11 years ago!

56packman

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--he didn't sell all of them, just the extra 11,000 or so items he wasn't using. Dick is thinning the heard and simplifying his life--not a bad idea.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the new owner will call in a landscape architect.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And a menu architecht.

It ain't 1988 any more, please update the bland and dated menu.

Thanks.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6822
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I've heard about that herd.

It's been trying to thin ITSELF for most of our lives.

We're the ones who keep piling on.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City Clounsil is tying up the liquor lic transfer. Something about allowing "dancing" at the Whitney.

I assume this is ballroom or club dancing, not the kind male chauvinist pigs promote at BT's, Landing Strip, Trumps, Tycoons. (Not that I would ever patronize those types of places).

Are they going to have big bands, jazz bands. The Whitney would be a hit as a supper club with dancing as long as they kept a couple rooms quiet(Library, pink room)

Gistok

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't picture any room large enough for dancing in? They would have to clear the tables from the Parlor or Library. And that would cost seating wise...

I think that the landscaping keeps the folks outside the wrought iron fence from being seen by the patrons inside the yard, during garden functions.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whitney gardens get a makeover

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit, I wished it and it came true! That's great.

Let's see ... next I wish that Wayne State would restore the reflecting pool areas next to Yamasaki's McGregor Memorial Conference Center!

56packman

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial 4- while you are at it, wish that all of the bums and panhandlers would find a job, all of the urban miners would put that energy into a real job and that the general populus stop stealing everthing that isn't too heavy to carry away.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hispter,

I doubt WSU would restore their reflecting pools. According to kwame and his Manoogian Mansion, it costs around $200.000 to do such things... or... WSu would probably would do it if they had tax money dollars...

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greening can have its next gala in my backyard if it volunteers to landscape it.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please everybody come to the Greening of Detroit Gala. Today is the last day to register. It is going to be a wonderful time, and a great opportunity to support a good cause.

I am also under the impression that many local dignitaries will be there. I'm hoping to talk to Roger Penske.

www.greeningofdetroit.com

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10627
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's see ... next I wish that Wayne State would restore the reflecting pool areas next to Yamasaki's McGregor Memorial Conference Center!

Yeah, what's up with that? They were filled earlier this year, long enough for one of my dogs (Zeus) to fall in up to his neck and flip out. Then, weeks later they drained it and that's how it was for the rest of the year. I believe it was filled for the Art Festival, then emptied shortly there after.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They were filled earlier this year, long enough for one of my dogs (Zeus) to fall in up to his neck and flip out. Then, weeks later they drained it

So what you are telling us is that your inability to have your dog on a leash has cost all of us the ongoing joy of the reflecting pool?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Helen L. De Roy Auditorium's pool had a lot of repair work done last year, and I've occasionally seen it with water after that (though less than half the amount it originally was filled with).

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I do hope they cut a lot of that stuff growing by the fence at the Whitney. You can barely see the damned house from the street.

Gistok

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, something tells me that the dense foliage is intentional. They probably don't want panhandlers panhandling the patrons in the garden thru the wrought iron fence.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dense foliage is one thing. It's just overgrown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.