Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Cass Park Cleanup - Saturday, October 7 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6887
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please save the date. Saturday, October 7 at 10:00.

We need volunteers for our annual Cass Park cleanup. We'll be gathering in front of the green "Cass Park" sign on Second. It's right across the street from a parking lot. (This meeting place is a little different. In past years, we met at Masonic.)

Everything will be provided. Trash bags, gloves, rakes, etc. There'll also be food and drink.

Please help. Cass Park is looking especially needy lately.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6888
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to mention that if you have any questions, please shoot me an e-mail.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7904
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, you're too quick. I deleted it.

PS - response was to post that it is UM-MSU game.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6890
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump it with a trumpet

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long does the clean up last? I would assume until noon or so? I've got to watch my Spartans beat the crap out of LLLLLoyd and his crew in Ann Arbor later in the afternoon.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6893
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no set stop time. We start at 10:00 and folks stay as long as they can.

This year should go more quickly than in past years. Luckily, Temple Towers burned to the ground earlier this year, so we no longer have to clear out their courtyard. That'll shave an hour. And the 5' high weeds on Second @ Temple have already been cut. A group of us spent over an hour with scythes last year cutting them down.

This year we can focus entirely on the park.

(Message edited by itsjeff on September 20, 2006)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do I sign up? Or do we just show up?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6894
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just show up at the "Cass Park" sign on Second. You can park right across the street from it. Thanks so much for volunteering.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6918
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there, what the hell.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be, too. I have to work at 2, but I can probably be there by 11 a.m.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, you might want to post this on the livejournal communities, such as:

http://community.livejournal.c om/real_detroit/

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6993
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for Saturday. Please join us.

Jeff

Tetsua

Post Number: 797
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there were a market for used liquor bottles, I'd be rich after the CP clean up today. :-) Never really noticed how scenic Cass Park is, I'm looking forward to what the future has in store for this area . BTW nice meeting you Jeff, didn't get a chance to catch up with you before you took off.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW nice meeting you Jeff, didn't get a chance to catch up with you before you took off.

The demands on a Super-hero are great.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so i take it the clean up went well?

i am bummed i couldn't make it again this year...i was on the other side of town participaing in another cleaning event. apparently there were many efforts like this going on all over the city today, and they couldn't have picked a better day. hopefully everyone had enough volunteers, though, with the late game last night and the big games taking place today coupled with this beautiful weather...i know i had some trouble rolling out of bed this morning...

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7006
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks to 25 or so volunteers who showed up to make the Cass Park Clean-up a success! It was a beautiful fall day and we collected over 800 gallons of litter, weeds, and debris in record time.

Thanks to Caitlin from Building with Books and the host of Cass Tech students she brought with her. Thanks to forumers Tetsua, NeilR, Eric_C, Matt, Kazooexplorer, and Brenda and former forumers Meliss, Jelk, and jmy. And, another round of thanks to Sarah, Kirsten, Crystal, Philip, Ian, and Kenn.

In addition to general clean-up we were able to replace several burned-out park lights and install three more panels to the mural project at the park. Thanks to Natalie, Ron, and Ian for their artistic additions to the park. The murals are attached to the planter at Ledyard and Second. If you get a chance, have a look-see.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7007
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, awfully nice meeting you, too. Sorry I had to take off so quickly. I hope you'll join us at FSC some night.

Tetsua

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll definately make it into a FSC sometime, as well as any other volunteer effort ya'll got going on in the neighborhood.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crap. I'm so sorry, Itsjeff! I got so wrapped up in Tigers mania and just plum forgot. I'll be there next time. Thanks for doing this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.