Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Manoogian Pool to be redone for $200K « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060918/M ETRO/609180338

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Never learned to swim, cant catch the rhythm of stroke, I should have held my breath for fear that I might choke.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check the thread: Back to his Old tricks

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/82913.html?1158612012

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manoogian Mansion 10/03/2006

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice!313

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Awesome Flyby!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7001
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are those on top of the boathouse? My guess would have been anti-aircraft missles, but since Don survived the flyby, that nixes that idea.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look like tables, to me, with the lawn chairs closest to the river.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, tables with umbrellas is a good guess. Note the exterior staircase to the right in the second pic.

Flybydon, you're making some valuable contributions here. Do you have any plans to continue? I really appreciate this!

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 05, 2006)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah look at my future home that is unless I become filthy rich first. What is that lot to the left in that last picture a park or something?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2892
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh.... I guess $200,000 isn't what it used to be....

As for the grounds, CAY doubled the mansion property by taking land away from the park next door. That could complicate any possible future sale of the mansion. Besides deed restrictions, there's public park land as part of the property.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, are those two seperate houses in the last pic? Why build so close to one another?

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, you're making some valuable contributions here. Do you have any plans to continue? I really appreciate this!

JImaz: I’ll keep it up as long as I’m permitted. (A lot of variables in consideration)

Thank you all for your kind words. It’s always a pleasure to be appreciated.

Yes, those are tables and chairs on the roof of the boat house not surface to air missiles.
A few close-ups for your consideration.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for the grounds, CAY doubled the mansion property by taking land away from the park next door. That could complicate any possible future sale of the mansion. Besides deed restrictions, there's public park land as part of the property.

None of this would seem to pose a problem as the impending sale of the Rackham Golf Course and 115 acres of Rouge Park would suggest.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This irritates me; the city is broke, police and fire personal are being laid off, the city is selling park land, basic services are not being met and this corrupt thug is spending money on redoing his pool. For what, so he can have some more striper parties. This guy should be impeached; he is the worst, most opportunistic, corrupt piece of sh*t mayor in the US. This is not the time Detroit needs to be taken advantage of by its own so-called prodigal son. Get this guy out of there and get someone in who looks at the office of mayor as a job, not a piggy bank. He can take the city clownsil with him.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah TKelly....no one in the US has done worse...

*sarcasm alert*

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Tkelly, we need the pool. Were else we gonna boogie.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4546
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about hyperbole and exaggeration. I'll let Mayor Daley know that Kwame's the "worst, most opportunistic, corrupt piece of sh*t mayor in the US." lol

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Daley does not have a city sponsored compound.....also, his city is not lacking on city services.....

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another thing, who is running a major US city, refurbishing a city given pool on city money that is in debt? While city pools are being closed up left and right; can I swim in his pool?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4547
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, corruption is alright if a city is doing well, right? Thanks for clarifying that. I'm just calling you on your gross hyperbole.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't the grass on Belle Isle look loke that?313

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Kwame throwing a pool party?

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a good question back there regarding Daley and the residence of Chicago mayors. I know NY has an official residence for the mayor- what other large cities provide an official residence for their Mayor??? If Detroit is an exception- then perhaps the bitch´n about the cost is appropriate? If an official Residence is more the norm- then maintaince and upkeep has costs and the longer delayed the more expensive the redo. One can argue over timing and appropriatness but still upkeep is cheaper than replacement. Perhaps there should be some some sponsered repairs for firms trying to burnish their image.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Daley does NOT have an official residence; I have never heard this to be a common thing......but I am sure someone will point to three or four other cities out of the whole country that has it and go "see, its not just Detroit"......the vast majority do not supply housing for the mayor.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7009
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gracie Mansion, NYC
Getty Residence, LA
Cableland, Denver

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6889
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we suspect Cableland might've been a boondoggle kickback to the city after some company successfully landed the cable contract?!

Couldn't they have been a wee bit more discreet?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In any case, I agree with the sentiment that this hardly qualifies as a "scandal". The spending is not out of line with what I'd expect for an estate of this size. (The News article mentions that the mansion is about 5,000 square feet, which I find hard to believe... I'd guess it's closer to 10,000.)

On the other hand, you can argue that the city shouldn't be in the business of maintaining such a large estate, which is a legitimate question, but the city has owned it for 40 years now, so that's not exactly a new issue.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cruised by there on a boat yesterday and tried to get a glance at the pool. No luck, but I thought the little-short-guy basketball hoop in front of it was just the cutest thing.
btw, is that a hot tub to the corner of the pool? Bet THAT gets a lot of use, wink-wink.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is little merit in mentioning Chicago or NY in the same discussion as detroit. Stop defending the sad state of our city by suggesting that "crime happens everywhere", "other mayors and or city councils are just as corrupt...blah, blah." Sure other cities in america suffer from crime, blight, corruption, etc. But detroit in unique in that it embodies ALL of these ills to such overwelming degree.

Like an addict, the first step is to admit there is a problem. As detroiters we have yet to take this first step.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.