Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ford, GM have discussed merger: report « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 520
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Windsor Star online....

Ford, GM have discussed merger: report

Associated Press
Published: Monday, September 18, 2006

DETROIT -- Executives of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have discussed a possible merger or alliance, the trade journal Automotive News reported Monday. Both companies declined comment.

Automotive News quoted what it said were several people familiar with the talks as saying that discussions involving senior executives began in July and are not taking place now.

The journal quoted one source as saying that GM Chief Financial Officer Fritz Henderson and his Ford counterpart, Don Leclair, discussed a GM-Ford alliance in August.

The report comes as GM and Ford have been slashing their work forces and closing plants in efforts to reverse multibillion dollar losses. Their sales have been hurt by competition from more fuel-efficient models from Asian automakers.

As the two biggest U.S. automakers, any deal would presumably face scrutiny by U.S. antitrust regulators.

In July, GM, Renault SA of France and Nissan Motor Co. of Japan announced a 90-day review of an alliance among them.

"As we've often said, GM officials routinely discuss issues of mutual interest with other automakers," GM spokesman Brian Akre said before business hours Monday. "As a policy, we do not confirm or comment publicly on those private discussions, which in many cases do not lead anywhere."

Ford Oscar Suris, also speaking before business hours, said: "We're not commenting on speculation."

Talk of alliances involving GM came after GM shareholder Kirk Kerkorian, who owns a 9.9 percent stake in the company, called for GM, Renault and Nissan to pursue an alliance.

Carlos Ghosn, the chief executive of Renault and Nissan, has said the benefits from an alliance would be similar to the gains from the Renault-Nissan alliance, which have included cost savings from joint purchases of auto parts.

Ford earlier declined to comment on an August Wall Street Journal report that then-Chief Executive Bill Ford approached Ghosn about a Ford alliance with Renault and Nissan.

© Associated Press 2006

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who would calvin pee on?!

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA! ^^^^

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a ploy to drive stock prices up on speculation.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford and GM Merge, I'm laughing too. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Their stocks stinks, their corp. can't sell a car and laying off white collar and blue collar workers.

Stecks77

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excerpt from merger discussions...

Bill Ford to Rick Wagoner: "If I'm going down your going down with me"

(Message edited by stecks77 on September 18, 2006)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AHAHAHAHAHAAA, thats even funnier than the Calvin comment!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM should start talking to Toyota and Ford should start talking with Honda....

Stecks77

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toyota's response: "Over my dead body"

Can you say anchor?

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, and ask how to build more reliable cars?

Stecks77

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toyota and Honda absolutly refuse to work with Unions so until that coffin is laid in the ground I wouldn't expect the Japanese to work with any US company unless its just engineering related and not manufacturing.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't underestimate GM. A year from now, people will probably talk about Mother Motors like they do Chrysler now. But Ford on the other hand...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks77 spewed:

quote:

Toyota and Honda absolutly refuse to work with Unions so until that coffin is laid in the ground I wouldn't expect the Japanese to work with any US company unless its just engineering related and not manufacturing.

So GM an Toyota never set up a joint manufacturing plant in California in 1984. My memory must be completely flawed.

http://www.nummi.com/co_info.h tml

Or chrysler and Mitsubishis joint venture in Normal Illinois. Or the Auto alliance plant in Flat Rock Michigan that is now turning out Mustangs.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 522
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vibe/Matrix anyone?

http://www.automobilemag.com/r eviews/wagons/2003_pontiac_vib e/

Ndavies

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and how can I forget the New GEMA plants in Dundee. A brand new joint venture engine plant between Hyundai, Mistubishi and Daimler Chrysler.

400 new brand new union jobs. Just don't try getting a job there without at least an associate degree.

Stecks77

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy Ndavies. Do you have anymore tucked up your sleeve?

So they're are a few, congratulations, but I don't see the union manufacturing numbers growing very large anytime soon under the Japanese.

The majority of the partnerships will continue to be research and development because of cost.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11654151/

(Message edited by stecks77 on September 18, 2006)

Just_for_the_halibut
Username: Just_for_the_halibut

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think NUMMI is still in California and there is also one in Tennessee now(?) Don't forget...there are Honda engines in some Saturn Vues now...

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or chrysler and Mitsubishis joint venture in Normal Illinois.

...which will be gone in 5 years (my prediction, anyway).

My fiance worked there until her layoff 2 years ago (the entire 2nd & 3rd shift were sacked), and her dad is a maint. worker who was recently offered (along with 52 of his craft-mates) buy-outs!

Stecks77

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Quote from link below)

"Manufacturers like Toyota locate their plants in regions hungry for jobs with good salaries. It's the result of a strategy foreign car companies have used for years to avoid unionization."

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=5062797

Stecks77

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(quote from link below)

"The UAW has organized very few Asian-owned car plants, with the exception of Mitsubishi, which has been reported in big financial trouble."

http://64.233.167.104/search?q =cache:-YDSHoviCJMJ:www.pww.or g/article/view/6824/1/264/+uni onized+toyota+auto+plants&hl=e n&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

(Quote from link Below)

"With new capacity coming from Honda, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and Toyota Motor Corp. at existing facilities, and new plants coming in 2003 and 2005 from Nissan and Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd., respectively, production by non-union shops will top 4 million within five years, as long as the North American market does not go into a long-term nosedive. The outlook assumes plants currently not unionized will remain that way and that new plants coming on line by Nissan and Hyundai will not be organized at their Job One dates."

http://findarticles.com/p/arti cles/mi_m3165/is_2002_Oct_1/ai _92698656

Ndavies

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're the one ignorant enough to say there weren't any.

Stecks77

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies: Ignorant? Name calling? That's all you got?

So I may not have the superior knowledge an auto industry expert such as yourself maintains but based upon what I've posted do you see the Japanese jumping at the chance to work with unions in their facilities?

They may not be "refusing" to work with unions but they're doing a hell of a good job at avoiding them.

Excuse me for going out on a limb and sharing my "ignorant" opinion.

Next time I'll have to check the facts, and make sure I uphold the journalistic standards set so high by this forumn.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toyota and Chevy are mergering. They will be called Toyolet. They will build a new plant in Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.