Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » "Dr. Z" Commercials - BUH BYE ! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The several hundred million dollar ad campaign featuring the thick accented "Dr.Z" fell flat on its damn face - actually upsetting many viewers. DaimlerChrysler had to pull the television and radio ads after a very heavy investment. (announced today on ABC)

Gee- didnt see that coming, smart guy.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From last Wednesday's Autoextremist.com:

".... Earl Hersterberg, CEO of Houston-based Group 1 Automotive Inc., one of the country's largest dealer groups, who spoke at the Reuters Autos Summit on Monday, Sept. 11, here in the Motor City.... Hesterberg spoke out on the need for the Chrysler Group to get a handle on their inventory problems before dealers start backing off on orders for 2007 models - something the Gang in Auburn Hills has been unable to figure out how to do, apparently. "There's a Chrysler inventory issue.... this summer and I don't believe it's been resolved yet," Hesterberg said. "I think the issue with them has been oversupply. I think they've been making too many cars out of alignment with their demand since late last calendar year," he continued. "Their new products like the Dodge Caliber, a fuel efficient vehicle, are going very well. But they too had a lot of eggs in the large vehicle basket." How would Hesterberg "fix" the Chrysler Group's inventory problem? "I wouldn't pick the tactic for them but the need exists," he said. And for good measure, when asked how the "Ask Dr. Z" advertising campaign had worked for his dealerships, Hesterberg replied, "We've seen no up-tick in traffic." Amen, Mr. Earl, and thank you for validating everything we've been saying all summer long - you've now become an honorary Autoextremist."

I read elsewhere that the "Ask Dr. Z" spots were so campy that viewers outside the Motor City thought Dr.Z was a fictional character who was made up just for the commercial. Apparently they felt that there is no way that the head of a major corporation would allow himself to be caricatured in such a way.

(Message edited by Mikeg on September 18, 2006)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well its the workers fault ya know, better start those layoffs!

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the fact that they made fun of his mustache.

I think they gave up to quickly.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3745
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It worked for Lee Iacocca many years back trying to stump for his company so I can see the logic in trying to capture that magic in a bottle once more. Using the company's CEO isn't a bad idea and it also helps put a human face on the DCX as well.

If Chrysler's looking for a one time campaign to help them boost sales, it's not going to happen. The product has got to be paramount and then an extended thoughtful and memorable campaign (you don't necessarily even have to like it!) needs to convey that message to the consumers.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, everyone that I've talked to who doesn't live in Detroit had no idea that Dr. Z was a real person.

Not a great campaign.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Iacocca ads were very different than those terrible Dr. Z ads. Iacocca was at least speaking to you the viewer.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ads are being suspended temporarily, but they are to return.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6787
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The yellow-and-black roundels and distance markings on the gray walls behind that mini-van crash commercial were made by...yours truly!!

I subbed on a crew that one of my fellow Eastern Marketeers usually works on for these last-minute set design and assembly, worked a manual-labor ten-hour day for that, big fun to see it on the big screen less than a few weeks later!

Shame they're not on the telly anymore...there HAS to be a youtube of 'em, right?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stated purpose of the Dr. Z campaign was to distance DCX from Ford and GM, to establish that Chrysler is part of Daimler-Benz, and that it benefits from D-B's mechanical excellence. I personally don't think the tone of the commercials related that. We'll see what the next step is.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Z is a real person? I'm sure out of the loop.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ads Bill Ford did for his company didn't seem to help much. He came across to me as a frat boy trying to make good.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was really impressed with this campaign, and I have to say, was totally wrong about how I thought it would perform.

They were smart, informing and had great self-depricating humor.

I think a few tweaks (I've read about this in the past few months from auto mags so these aren't my ideas) like 1. Introducing Dr Ze quickly at the beginning of the commercial as the Chairman and CEO (ie THE BOSS) and 2. Pumping specials and incentives on the vehicles, would have made them perform the way they were meant to.

The ad agency just assumed that everyone knows Zetsche (never assume), and assumed people knew they were priced so freakin' cheaply.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10616
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally like the commercials, I thought they kicked ass in fact. As for agreeing with Quinn, I really can't explain it.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like they were trying to revert back to the 'Iacoca' days, when the Chrysler CEO was featured in the companies ads saying, "If you can find a better car, buy it." There is something to be said for the consumer feeling like he knows the guy he's buying a car from...however, I think they were afraid that the name 'Dieder Zeutsch' might cause Chrysler to lose some of it's 'American brand' appeal...so they had to give him a moniker

(Message edited by thejesus on September 18, 2006)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably didn't help that commercial repeated itself two times during every break.

I remember a poll that listed that as the most annoying commercial along with Eli Zaret and eye doctor. can't remember the third.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_

Would that third commercial have been, "Head On, apply directly to the forehead, Head On, apply directly to the forehead, Head On, apply directly....."?

Gannon

Post Number: 6802
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think over-saturation is likely a large part of the problem.

Too much Dr. Z, too soon. They could've paced 'em out over six months and gotten much greater results.

Give him time to mount a national tour of dealerships, with special sales discounts he would personally sign.

That might incite a riot. Have Devos' brother-in-law provide the security...

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just proves my adage for any business owner, big or small,.... DON'T DO YOUR OWN COMMERCIALS!

We have some really hilarious (as in, NOT meant to be funny) ones here in Illinois (i.e., the local car dealer explaining "You won't lose a leg dealing with Excrement Motors," followed by a man holding up his left leg stump!!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suffer through Rockin' Rick pushing Hondas just to see Austin, his supple yes girl. The Victory Toyota girl doesn't do it for me, though.
There should be a local "hall of shame for bad local advertising. The "Dave Lenox" heating and cooling ads (with the clueless HVAC co. owners) would surely be at the top.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I dunno, I liked the Dr Z persona, however did not like his insinuation that Chrysler owed all it's advances to clever German Engineering. Last I heard, until this morning anyway, was that Chrysler was carrying DCX, and those well-engineered Benzes were the ones not selling that great. Just the thought that Chrysler was feeling around in the dark before the Germans came in and saved the day irked me, cause I know better.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2810
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman.... lest we forget... those horrible ABC Warehouse commercials with the company owner making a fool of himself dancing on the roof of a bus.... yuk!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

those horrible ABC Warehouse commercials with the company owner making a fool of himself dancing on the roof of a bus.... yuk!

I have laughed at some of those. I think they were making fun of DOC or someone else in the dancing ad. They are totally aware of how cheesy they are being so it is ok by me. :-)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the New York Carpet commercials with that creepy guy? Maybe 80's...I remember my dad yelling at the tv that he was a "lying c__k-sucker" hahahaha. One of my fondest memories of Dad....ahhhh sad.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irving Nussbaum?

Gannon

Post Number: 6821
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old boss, Rick Howard, in one of his holiday ad routines.

Anyone who knows him wonder HOW many takes they had to go through shooting those ads...he is a genius megalomaniac with a stern orientation towards extreme detail manipulation.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back Snoop Dogg!

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 633
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ads are worse than those featuring that dancing fool, Dr. Golden for DOC.

What an ASS-HAT.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really miss Ollie Fretter now.

Guys like him and Gordy for ABC Warehouse weren't afraid to at least laugh at themselves a little bit. I don't mind when CEOs of companies appear in their own commercials but just keep them clever and not so smug.

Richard Golden always came across as "I'm so smooth" and I'm willing to bet you he isn't anywhere near. And is his dancing really that good? I wonder how he convinced the ad agency to let him do that move on camera. I'm also wondering how he took to Gordy making fun of him as well.

Designut
Username: Designut

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone seen the local (very low budget) Harris pest-control commercial where the owner of the company dances around dressed in drag - complete with nasty wig and red lipstick, (presumably being a pest) then apprears in a suit and tries to be taken seriously? I'd say the Dr. Z ads are about on par with that.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a story about Mr. Golden once from a friend. My friend and hsi family were seated at a table at a restuarant in traverse city, and in walked richard. no table were open, and he was irate, pulling a christine beatty and basically saying, "do you know who the fuck i am????"""

Smogboy

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once saw Richard Golden at a semi-prestigious art opening once where I saw him pawing the artwork. He was literally feeling up the sculptures and being totally disrespectful of the golden rule about viewing art by touching it.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best was Belvedere Construction president "We do good Work!" Dial TY 8700. Direct, and to the point, not insulting our intelligence or making tired jokes you get sick of hearing over and over again, I do like ABC ware house Gordy though, "Remember the pants, who needs pants sale? Things got pretty wierd with that one."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.