Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Graffiti Revisited « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, for the umpteenth time, I spent my afternoon with paint remover and a power washer removing tags from one of my buildings, in this case, The Bohemian National Home. Those of you who know me know the story of saving this beauty from the wrecking ball and slowly, but surely, facilitating the breathing of new life into her walls. So it will come as no suprise that I am a bit burnt out on my fair city at the moment. I have to ask myself sometimes, what the hell am I doing with my fucking life. You can only piss into the wind so many times until it blows back in your face. So discouraging this place can be.

Anyway, this time was the local 14 and 15 year old hoodlums. Very scary to confront little ones who still think they are going to live forever or don't care cuz they are so desensitized by their mtv viewing. Much rather deal with an adult killer who calculates their moves.

Very discouraging.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that situation a stun gun would be very nice.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks, for sure. Where is that place? I'd like to drive by and take a look. Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but I sincerely salute your perseverance.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very frustrating, but I am relieved that our cities have escaped the degree of rampent tagging found in such great European cities as Paris and Berlin.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a thought:

Maybe a hidden proximity sensor that amplifies the volume of some sound obnoxious to the perp as they approach?

I recall stories of someone playing classical music to repel rowdy teenagers from gathering at a convenience store. It worked.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Kate Moss can help. : )

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

histeric,

is it possible that you could meet with the taggers, and get them to invest in the community, by leaving their paint cans behind, and maybe building or contributing to something they'd be proud of?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you could bake them cookies and read them some verses from the bible.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it worked on Diff'rent Strokes!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear that Histeric. There is a lot of wonderful art and activity being generated at the Bo House, thanks to you efforts in preserving that building. Graffiti on any viable property is inexcusable, but when done on brick and stone work of a historic building, the penalties should be doubled.

Suggesting that Histeric become a social agency is asking a bit much. His hands are full. Anyone who knows his driving energy, knows he has done more than any other person to drive the Michigan Av. and Corktown recovery and growth. [Said with all due respects to the others who have also done much.] What a waste to have him spend time cleaning graffiti.

[and LOL at Buddy's sarcasm]

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ The penalties should be doubled regardless. Part of the reason this is an ongoing problem is that these morons know they'll get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you shouldn't be renovating homes in their territory.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Lowell here on Buddy's strategy. With all the store front churches in this town, there must be a few who'd be interested in doing a graffiti/preaching patrol! All Histeric would have to do is provide a soap box for them and possibly some tracts.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry Histeric. Little fuckers. If they need to express themselves so badly, they should do it on their own house.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that it's happening, but your work is definitly worth it.

I don't really have any advice to give, but I'm sure someone else here has dealt with the same problem and might have something to say. :-(

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10614
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric,

Obviously even the biggest hearts in Detroit go through down spells. I just got outta real low point in regards to Detroit. The fact that I found out recently that I'm losing my job seemed to pale in comparison. Why? Because I quit caring about my job long ago, boredom combined with working in Novi was responsible for that. Detroit however, I love and continue to care about. That is why it often hurts so much when Detroit gets me down.

Hold that chin up and stand tall, as you are much the reason I am here and will be here a long time. Next time ya got graffiti to clean up, swing by and pick me up. I'll be there with my own powerwasher in tow.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

invite them inside the boho and get them to paint a cool mural for you. They will respect you for it and spread the word to their friends.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's bullshit Mpow, if they want to paint a "cool mural" for Histeric then they can knock on the fucking door and offer their services not scrawl their crap on the exterior walls of the Bo House. I'm sure a lot of local artists would like the opportunity of a mural project, why should folks who don't respect other people's space get preferential treatment?

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk speaks much wisdom. The thrill of graffiti is a huge motivator.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10618
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, agreeing with Jelk and Quinn on the same day. I must be coming down with something.

Mpow

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without trying to start a fire here, a little proactivity always helps in the hood. Most true graffiti doers have zero info when it comes to art, no resources to express in the public schools, no art peers, zip. Their "art" manifests on the street, on buildings, the simple act of tagging your gang sign is expression, it exerts itself that way, that person is putting himself and an identity out there, not unlike most people who wish to express the bare minimal. I have a friend on the southwest side who had graffiti "problems" he then invited the "hoodlums" to paint La Virgin de Guadalupe on his fence, end of problem. It has been three years since he has had even a tag on his fence...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8811
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if they don't want a mural? What if the property owner just wants a wooden fence?
We have the same problem at the park I volunteer at. The only solution is to clean it as fast as you can because once it's tagged, more scumbags will come and spray even more crap.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did a community center proposal for your building a few years back. beautiful building on the inside as well. it's definitely kids in one of those habitat for humanity houses. i'd put money on it. it's most likely a single-parent home and the parent is out working their ass off to give their kid a better chance. best case scenario anyway. thankless pricks. why do people even have kids anymore?

i don't know how you survive in that neighborhood man...they we're dealing crack across the street in broad daylight last i was there.

good luck to you-i'll drink to your cause

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most true graffiti doers have zero info when it comes to art...

Mpow, so all these cats I see up around here have no idea why certain color schemes pop and why their letters flow so well? It's all just natural born talent?

I will agree with Mpow's friend, though. Just have some art put up and people will be less likely to spray over it. Didn't the guy who ran the 2nd St Laundromat have the same problem with shitty graffiti, hence the invitation for writers to do it up? Even though that place has been closed for awhile, pieces are still running clean for the most part. Same with that building in SW on Vernor heading to DCS (Fel and Fosik on it?).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Offer free coloring books? j/k

Mpow

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sticks, agreed. what I meant by true, the more unattractive graffiti, gang tags, simple splashes of spray, not the great graffiti seen near the river, the underpass, bridges, these people are schooled and have the info. that stuff to me transends.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect MPow, it is a historic, BRICK building and its facade is hardly the canvas for a mural. As you know, I have commissioned murals in Ctown and am about as proactive as they come. In the case of the bohouse, we have spent almost 40K on the facade (tuckpointing, new stainglass windows, new doorway after the building miners smashed it in, etc.) Excusing bullshit behavior isn't really what I had in mind.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7932
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric - My e-mail is below. Give me a shout next time you need someone to help scrub grafitti or next time you need manual, unskilled labor for your comunity projects.

jt1_detroit@yahoo.com

Mpow

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

histeric, yes you are one of the most proactive people in detroit and one of the people I respect most in detroit for all you have done, hang in there and hope all is well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.