Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » So, I'm on hold with DWSD... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 839
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appears as though there is a water main leak just across the street from me. Water is pooling very slowly in the gutter and is moistening the ground above the curb.

Using the "24-Hour Emergency Number" from the DWSD website, I've been on hold for nine minutes since the automated system answered. We'll give it an even ten, then try again.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can report this?

Eric_c

Post Number: 840
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No answer at all on the "Customer Service Hotline". Guess I'll just go back out on the front porch and look at it some more.

Eric_c

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several tries later...same results.

Where's broken_main?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start sand bagging in case you don't reach them until Monday.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, the police have some way to contact the water dept hotline. I would contact the police and see if they could get through.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't DPD have better things to do than wake up the desk clerks at the water department?

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they probably do, but if there was a car crash that took out the fire hydrant, they would make a call to the water dept and get someone to cap it off.

That's the dept I would call.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How ironic. Eric.. I am at work right now. Where is the problem. I will call it in right now for you. I had a few open hydrant problems called in by DFD and I couldn't get through with the main number.

I know that we have been having problems with the phone system this week. I managed to get through with an alternate number however. What is the number that you were using. Usually when there is a problem with the phone system all the calls bounce to my office because I work in the 24/7 control center.

Give me an email addy to contact you an i will give you a list of numbers that will work for you.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third World City due to incompetent management.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that River_rat hasn't spent much time in the Third World. The fact that we have a) water mains, b) telephones and c) internet access to bitch about problems with the first 2 puts us way ahead of the Third World.

Not to mention the fact that we have so few problems in our life that not being able to report a broken water main in a prompt manner is serious grievance.

I'm not trying to argue that DWSD doesn't have some serious issues that they need to deal with. A 24-Hour Emergency Number should always be answered and answered promptly.

Let's just keep this in perspective.

(Message edited by fnemecek on September 17, 2006)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6775
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We also have people who are willing learn water treatment science, remember how the system functions, then actually perform the maintenance to keep it working.

It is a system built with human hands, run by humans (some of who certainly may not be good employees, but obviously NOT all) so there are bound to be some cracks in their performance.

I think the closing of a crack with something like THIS thread is funny to witness...especially since I know one of the participants IRL...magnified by having broken_main sitting at just the right desk to facilitate motion.

Ironic? Perhaps!

Imagine if ALL city services could be this transparent...how much light could be shone on inefficiencies, leaving little shadow for corruption to fester and grow.

Eric_c

Post Number: 843
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main!

I knew I could catch up with you here. ;)

Tried again today. I called 267-1426, 224-4701, 964-9090, and 224-4400 obtained from the DWSD website as well as a friend. The line either rings until it hangs up or an automated system answers and puts you on hold.

The leak is directly in front of the historic Moses W. Field House, 2541 Field Ave. between Vernor and Charlevoix.

E-mail ecriteser@hotmail.com

Thanks; I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay try 267-7402. Now that is the number I call as well, but it seems that we are definitely having some serious phone issues here. Try 267-7402. I am going to try it as well. Hopefully we can get someone out there. I got someone on the way after 3:30pm.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon..Thanks for the response to River_rat. I try my best to ignore the ignorance on this board. Eric...as I stated previously...we are having some issues withe the phone lines here and I have spoken with maintenance and repair and they will be sending someone out as soon as the shift changes.

As always, i am so glad to be of any help to you all. Trust me when I say, we are trying to do the best we can with what we got..

broken

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6877
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Broken, you gave him the same number twice.

Eric_c

Post Number: 844
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Water and Sewerage barricade now at the scene. Looks as if a crew came by while I was out.

Nice work and thanks for the help, Broken_main! I'll try to update the story as it moves along!

Broken_main

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sorry, I couldn't get back to check on this for you. My wife went into labor Sunday.

Did they alleviate this problem. Keep me posted on this please. I don't want this getting forgotten until the spring.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 591
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main: not to complain too much (to a new Father, I assume!), but I tried to call the telephone number listed in the water Department's press releases (267-7401) several times this summer to report open hydrants (as the press release requested) and never got more than a recording. On hold for very long periods. Also tried 311 but can only leave a message. I gave up every time. I'm pretty sure that this was in July when I noticed a nearby street collapsing from the frequently-opened hydrant.

So, would the phone lines have been down since July? I do thank you for the 267-7402 number and will keep it for future use. Is this number normally answered?

Broken_main

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the phone lines have not been down. That recording you get last only a minute, then you get this very annoying music until someones answers. It usually takes a few minutes for them to pick up. Especially right now with the temp of the water dropping, the likelihood of a main rupturing increases.

Where are those open hydrants. I want to get someone out there to pm them so that we won't have any problems just in case of a fire. You know when the kids open those hydrants, it leaves water inside the hydrant that would increase the potential for a ahem...broken_main.

Let me know if I can do anything for you. the offer stands for all of you as well. I am here to help.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE!!!!!

Both of the numbers are working. There is, however, a large number of calls coming in. The wait may be a little longer. Please keep in mind that we are working with less people in our department. Like I said previously, I don't mind helping anyone with DWSD problems.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 868
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken, I'm glad you offered. I have called DWSD probably at least five times.....I have been lucky enough to talk with someone each time I've called. However, nothing has ever been done about the problem, other than they did put up a "barricade". The water main outside a building I own broke two winters ago. DWSD took a week to come out and fix it.......I estimated about a million gallons of water came out of that 8-inch line during that week...anyhow, after fixing the main, they patched the road......filling in around the new hydrant with patch--terrible job--the patch job is one thing, but the road has a sink-hole under it that must be very large, as the roadway itself has holes in it, and has sunk down more than two feet....a huge danger. I have been told everytime I have called, "we'll send someone right over"......as far as we know, no one has ever shown up. The service address is 3939 Bellevue (about 300 yards from Gratiot on Bellevue)...

Eric_c

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Broken,

Thanks for the follow-up and a big hearty congratulations on your new babe!

In the meantime, the DWSD barricade is still there and so is the leak.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks...

I know for sure that when they put the barricade up, it does get "triaged" to an extent. i will call one of my friends to see what he can do to expedite the problem.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling...

I feel your pain. I will call it in again and remind them that there is leaking underground and that the potential for a washaway is evident. I will do that right now.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think the city worries about sink holes? Not until they get this big. September 2003

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the mandatory / voluntary water contribution notice that I got in my bill this month.

It is a miniscule amount, but the principal of the matter sucks. Had they asked for money to assist lower income people, I may have considered it. However, now, not a chance.

You have to opt out of it, otherwise it become a mandatory contribution. I'm pretty sure that without written consent it is illegal to do that. At any rate, it seems like extortion to me.

I'm having my lawyer look into it.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is $0.50 cents a month to help poor folks keep the water on going to kill you Gildas?

Can you imagine the mounds of paperwork they're going to have to file for the small amount of people who will choose to opt out of the $0.50 charge? Just imagine if you were required to opt-in to the system. It would cost DWSD more money to process the paperwork than what was going into the fund for low income folks.

Bvos

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Eric_c, how's the historic Moses Field house doing? Last I knew it was in a rather tedious state. There was a well intentioned and proud owner but they didn't even have the money to replace basic infrastructure like the roof, repair plumbing, etc.

Eric_c

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roof is brand new. The current resident has lived there since 1964 and is a octogenarian widow. I don't anticipate much physical enhancement until the situation changes, and quite frankly, I'm concerned that new owners might not recognize the structures' significance.

My wife and I absolutely adore our house across the street (and the fact that it's already completely restored!) but when the Field Estate comes up on the market, I'm pretty sure we're going to have to end up buying it.

Eric_c

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the water leak continues and now leaves are beginning to collect in the water. The curbfront I work so hard to maintain is steadily becoming a nasty, muddy, mess.

Help!

Bvos

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with the Field House. It's definately one of the unknown historical gems in Detroit. I wish you well if you're to buy it. You'll have a big task ahead of you.

Eric_c

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nastier, muddier, mess...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7975
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is $0.50 cents a month to help poor folks keep the water on going to kill you Gildas?

I don't think the gripe is with helping but the process itself. I am fine paying it but I side with Gildas on this. With politics, specifically Detroit politics, precedent is a scary thing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.