Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Electrifying Mojo 1981 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bowwow73
Username: Bowwow73

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 143.132.203.52
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not from Detroit, my story is that I have family up there. I am from Jackson, MS. Basically, my grandmother lives there from Pass Christian which was devestated from Hurricane Katrina. She lives with my aunt in Detroit. I've been there before, I haven't been seen Detroit since 1981. They live off of Lodge freeway near Marygrove College. I look through these websites, and I am wondering.... Does Detroit look this bad??? Being from the South, maybe I am used to everything looking sort of new. Don't get me wrong, but these pictures make Detroit look like a shit hole. It can't be that bad???? I will be there in November, probably stay about a week, actually I am looking forward to coming.... I put Electrifying Mojo 1981, because at 7 years old in 1981, I remember that show partially because I had older cousins who loved that show..... Tell me is there anything to do, or anywhere to go.. Thanks...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you step a foot outside you might get, shot, robbed, or attacked by a wild animal.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 68.21.41.38
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess the parts that we consider "fabulous ruins" are exactly that - ruined. there is some new development in the city too that you may not be seeing on this site. try www.modeldmedia.com for one.

oh, and welcome.

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Electrifying Mojo!?!?! oh my word!

I remember it very well... The Midnight Funk Association! I remember that rap Mojo used to do like it were yesterday!

"when you feel like you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and keep hanging... and keep remembering, that there ain't nobody bad like you!"

I remember back in the day, when UTFO had thier hit with Roxanne, Roxanne, and I remember very well Roxanne Shanté with her Roxanne’s Revenge, of which Mojo Played unedited with UTFO's beats...(except for beeps to edit the swear words...) and I remember hearing about the lawsuit. I heard that they threatened to sue Mojo for it. For playing it with thier beats... I guess Mojo was big name in the Bidness back in the day... He told UTFO's Manager to f-off in a letter... they never bugged him again. it was funny. I remember listening to RUN DMC, Mojo would mix thier stuff, I remember the Planet Rock Craze... and all those other crazy 12 inch songs... that mojo would beat match with... I could name a bunch.

Man growing up in the D in the early 80's... :-)

and here I was this little skinny cracka on Oakdale Street in Southwest, listening to all this crazy music. it's a wonder I wasn't into more trouble that I was. I've talked with people who were really DJ'ing in those days, and I start mentioning these bands, and they look at me like, "how the heck do *YOU* know about all that?!?!" I just tell 'em, I might be white, but I got a ghetto black heart. ;) They just laugh...
-Me

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
I just tell 'em, I might be white, but I got a ghetto black heart. ;) They just laugh...

______________________________ ___________________

Lol, Scofield, I fell ya. As a "musical youth" from the D, I understand fully what you went through. I had the (good) fortune to get schooled in Detroit Public Schools.

While there, I was taught at an early age about Electro Mojo.

I remember listening to him on my clock/radio as I fell asleep. My mom once asked me what was the music I was listening to at night. I said "Its Electro Mojo". She smiled and said "oh".

I agree, growing up in the D in the late 70's, early 80's was the BOMB/ SHIT!!!!

Ah, I find myself longing for the "old" days...Now don't I sound like an old codger!

Detroitej72...Forever Young...

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Bowwow73, Let me know when you are comming "home".

I will drive the Welcome Wagon to pick you up and give you a tour of The Greatest City In the USA.

Detroitej72...Proudly Concived, born and raised in DETROIT!!!

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're at home, turn the porchlight on...
If you're in your car, honk your horn...
If you're in the tub, splash...
Dont' say damn, say wammy whoa!!!

Mojo was a Mofo !

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he start the original "battles" between folks like Michael Jackson and Prince, and shit like that? Seems like that was a Mojo thing.

What about the program "Moments in Love," which would start with the namesake song by the Art of Noise? Wasn't that Mojo, too? Can't remember. Classic Detroit radio.

I definitely remember him. That voice was made for radio.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 was born in 1981!

...and now has 999 posts!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When you are at the end of your rope... Tie a knot! Hang on!" Mojo's sign off.

The Electrifying Mojo was a key player in Detroit's then naiscent rise as the birthplace of techno, playing music from that scene. He introduced Cybotron's [Juan Atkins / Rik Davis} "Alleys of the Mind" to the Detroit radio audience along with playing George Clinton, Kraftwerk and B-52 pieces that shook up the Detroit radio and musical scene.

A good description of Mojo's [aka Charles Johnson] can be found in Dan Sicko's great work on Detroit Techno "Techno Rebels".

Welcome to forum and welcome home Bowwow.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6869
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---member, Midnight Funk Association

Yeah, this is a story of a famous dog
For the dog that chases its tail will be dizzy
These are clapping dogs, rhythmic dogs
Harmonic dogs, house dogs, street dogs
Dog of the world unite
Dancin' dogs
Yeah
Countin' dogs, funky dogs
Nasty dogs (Dog)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, I loved listening to Mojo! ah, the good ole days!

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo and my big brother are solely responsible for the music nerd i am today. anyone remember the book of poetry he put out several years ago? love to get my hands on that hilarious relic...

Scofield

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the very first time, I ever heard "The Message" by grand master flash on Mojo's show. My first reaction was "Wow! They put southwest Detroit to music!"

and that's the truth! :-)

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo was THE MAN on Detroit radio back in the day. He wasn't scared to jump in feet first and play any damn thing he thought his listeners would enjoy. What a concept.

Play list? Yeah right.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When you feel like you're nearing the end of your rope, don't slide off, tie a knot, keep hanging, keep remembering, that there ain't nobody bad like you. If the journey of a thousand miles is to begin, it begins with the first step."

I'm writing this right now from work, so I have to get home and scan an image of the original MFA logo from the WGPR days. Truly memorable radio.

Yes, Mojo originated the "battles." Somewhere in my archives of cassettes, I have a recording of Mojo interviewing Prince when he came here to do his birthday concert.

I was working at a competing radio station when Mo was at 'HYT. I went to see him, then afterwards went out for breakfast. He insisted on driving, and as we screamed down the Lodge in his boat-sized Lincoln, he was half asleep, but hell, it was Mojo! We went to this 24-hour restaurant on Jefferson just east of I-75. Horrible breakfast but a great memory.

Mojo represented the creativity of what radio used to be, and thanks to consolidation, will never be again. The best days were the 'GPR days. But 'JLB and money lured him away when JLB was first coming on the block. Mojo brought instant recognition to the new station, and once everyone started tuning in to 'JLB, they decided not to renew his contract. In other words, use him and lose him. (Thanks Verna)

Oh, and as for visiting Detroit, I worked downtown for ten years and was never jacked. If you don't walk around like a tourist, you'll have a great time.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's this with the tourist thing on this board today?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10610
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanrosa,

Just go with it, it's kind of like "the word for the day," ya know?

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I remember the mojo
I use to make stained glass windows and listen to him-
what happened to mojo?

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right Scofield.

Hanging out at Clark Park with my trunk open and the radio up as loud as it would go. I blew my 6x9 Jensen speakers at least 5 times.

'If you're in bed, dance on your back.'

Will the members of the Midnight Funk Association please rise. Please go to your porch light and turn it on for the next hour to show us your solidarity. If you're in your car please honk your horn and flash your lights, wherever you are. If you're in bed, get ready to dance on your back, in Technicolor. And get ready for the MFA. The word is... Don't say no, say triple-whammy-whoa. Hold on tight, don't let go. Whenever you feel like you're nearing the end of your rope, don't slide off. Tie a knot. Keep hanging, keep remembering, that it ain't nobody bad like you. This session of the International Midnight Funk Association is being called to order. Electrifying Mojo presiding. May the Funk be with you. Always...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stories Mallory, thanks. To bad he got burned... never heard that one.

Listening to the Electrifying Mojo forever burned the the B-52's "Mesopotamia" in my my brain. He was totally in a groove in the early eighties digging up and playing one amazing piece after another and weaving them together, mixed with his tradmark phrases, to create an unmatched flow of sound. It was sonic magic.

I have never heard anything close to it and I don't think it could be replicated. Even Mojo, while a great DJ, never hit those heights again.

I wonder if any recordings of those shows exist. I would love to hear one of his shows.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Bowwow, Detroit looks as bad as you see it here. It also looks a lot better and there are tons of new things. Part of the point of this site is to show the reality, not run from it. That way you don't get to come to the D and act all surprised and shocked. Instead you can spend your time discovering the art, parties and excitement that is going on non stop here - a city on the rise and the ride is bumpy.

Scofield

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've decided, this thread needs it's own backgroud music... :-)

Click here, Please

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit rocks to the Planet Rock....Don't stop!!

I'll meet you by the 3rd pyramid.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 919
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I missed the "Golden Era" of the MFA. But I do recall hearing him on Sunday nights in the mid ninties. The first time I heard him he was doing "Star Wars: New Edition vs. Jackson 5" and it blew my mind! Subsequent weeks were Prince vs. MJ and I think I recall a Prince Vs. Morris Day. I was around 13 at the time and I remember thinking "Who is this guy, and can he play this stuff on the radio?". I believe it was on JLB, so maybe someone familiar with his timeline could pinpoint when I heard this.

In any case. Does anyone have any of his shows on tape? If so I wouldn't mind digitizing them for my own use. Specifically, the early years of the MFA that I wasn't privy to listen to.

Socialize, get down, let your soooooul lead the way...

Scofield

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's at YOUR risk, that I'll set ya free... :-)

My goodness.... the old days.... hehehe.. :-)

I remember when Mojo would beat match, "play at your own risk" (vocal and instamental) and "Planet Rock" and "looking for a perfect beat" for 2 solid hours one night man! TOO MUCH! :-)

-Me

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artists like Prince and the B-52s owe Mojo a lot for helping their records on Detroit radio.
They knew where their bread was buttered.
Check this interview w/Prince and Mojo c.198? :

http://www.zshare.net/audio/pr ince-interview-with-the-electr ifying-mojo-mp3.html
http://www.zshare.net/audio/pr ince-interview-with-the-electr ifyin-mp3.html

FYI I am looking for more Mojo shows and airchecks.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also a card carrying member of the MFA here....

God bless Mojo for nothing else if not introducing me to Kraftwerk!

12 midnight...
In bed on a school night...
Back-lit tuning dial of the Marantz receiver casting a purple glow through the room...
Headphones on...
Tour de France...

My preppy Miami Vice wanna-be schoolmates just never got it.

Thanks to Wikipedia for the card images. (Note they were during the 'GPR era)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Funk_Association

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the members of the Midnight Funk Association please rise. Please go to your porch light and turn it on for the next hour to show us your solidarity. I never turned my porch light on because I lived in Grosse Pointe and figured nobody would know why it was on. I still have my MFA card somewhere though. I miss all of those cool mixes, I have a bunch of them on cassette tapes that I haven't listened to in years. For all of you that miss the songs from that time, I bought a bunch of the Street Jams CD's. They have been out for a while and can be found on Amazon. I like them because they have all the great songs from lots of artists. The CD I grabbed to get the name is Electric Funk part 4, I have most of the series and my young kids love to listen to them too. That beat can put a baby or toddler to sleep in no time!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont remember Mojo being on WGPR. i used to listen to him in 1981 to 1983 on WLBS 102.7. im quite sure of this but ive been known to be wrong before...

i was in college when he went to WJLB. i won a MFA sweatshirt in some call-in contest. i gave it to my girlfriend who i ended up marrying. she kept the sweatshirt when we got divorced which i thought strange since she didnt care too much for the urban progressive format...

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says WGPR on the card

Mallory

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, email please. I have some old casettes that I can dig up for you. The interview with Prince is priceless.

Oops, the Prince interview is posted. Well, wait till you hear his mega mix of Run DMC. Sad that radio is so corporate and so totally viod of creativity like this (and I work in radio!)

(Message edited by mallory on September 18, 2006)

Mallory

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal - timeline:

WGPR: 1981 - 1984
WJLB: 1984 - 1987(?)
WHYT: 1987(?) - ??
WMXD: ??
WTWR (Monroe): ??

Leob: Prince interview circa 1986 (Prince did his birthday party jam here, of which I have a bootleg copy of the show)

Krawlspace: yes, because of Mojo, my life was forever improved with the discovery of Kraftwerk.

Anyone with an MFA warm up? Whammy cloth?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.