Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit things I don't understand « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some things I don't understand about Detroit.

Walking down the middle of the street: Why do people choose not to use the sidewalk and instead walk directly down the middle of the road?

Interminable, compulsive spending and wheedling at the counter: Why do people choose to select items down to the last penny when at the party store, adding items on, getting new totals, then finding that a nickel or two is left to spend, adding another item, and then demanding cups, matches, bags, etc.?

Only responding to official requests after an uncooperative silence: At court, how come people don't say, "Here," when their name is called, instead waiting for their name to be called several times and then responding in a mumble? When my name was called, I said right away, "Here," and people laughed at me. That's OK, I am kind of a tight-ass, and I can take being the butt of a joke, but anybody want to let me in on the gag?

I guess you could just as easily ask me why I walk on the sidewalk, why I have my money out when I'm five people back in line, and why I respond right away to a roll call. But, that said, does anybody have any theories about all this?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LAY-Z

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 71.213.230.209
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maintaining the authenticity...?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6860
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do we base the quality of a Chinese restaurant by how many saltines they give you?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 893
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keeping it real, yo.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 68.77.170.94
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe it's the same reason a woman dumped her whole ashtray out of the window of her car at woodward and holbrook yesterday? her kids were in the car too...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10594
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I've caught myself doing this many times while out walking. The simple answer would be that the sidewalks in many areas are busted to shit, over grown, have trees overgrown blocking your path, have broken glass all over the place, or have long since been torn up and all that exists is grass where a sidewalk used to be. It's easier to just walk down the road.

2. You ever thought that maybe they have a certain amount of items they WISH to buy, but are unsure if they have enough money? They get to the register, see the total, then add items accordingly until every penny is spent.

3. You said "here" in court during role call? LMAO!

That's an awefully short list, you just move here or something?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUH People walk down the middle of the street because it is the easiest place not to get jumped. Did you not grow up in the City???

People have the annoying trait of spending every nickle where ever there are large pockets of poverty. To assume that this is based upon race or culture is offensive. Simply put many low income people have no one to model their spending habits by.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does that make me crazy? Does that make me crazy?..."

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 69.222.98.86
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how you tell someone the price for something, whether it's a service or for an item and then they dicker with you. You see the price thats what it is.

(Message edited by tarkus on September 14, 2006)

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(quote)

"Simply put, many low income people have no one to model their spending habits by."

1. Diddy
2. Kwame
3. Pro Athletes in general
4. "Cribs" on MTV
5. "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"

The models are out there, unfortunatley they're all negative in pop culture.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, Detroitplanner,

Good responses so far. Thanks. I have lived in the city for about four years and longer before that, so I am not new to the area. Also, I'm making an effort not to base this on race or culture. I'm just seeing what goes on around me in Detroit, and I don't get it.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 801
Posted From: 68.96.231.230
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking in the roadway where sidewalks are provided is a ticketable Detroit Ordinance violation. I don't suppose it's enforced much any more.

What I hate about party stores is I'll buy something costing 2.95, pay with a crisp twenty, and get a wad of dirty, crumpled up ones in change. I think some people keep their currency in their shoes. On the other hand, that's not too dumb a move, though.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in retail in Detroit for many years, and you do not want to know where people keep their cash. Wash your hands when handling money. Frequently.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 207.148.213.218
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Why do people choose to select items down to the last penny when at the party store, adding items on, getting new totals, then finding that a nickel or two is left to spend, adding another item, and then demanding cups, matches, bags, etc.?"

I've been fascinated by this forever, as it is almost universal in Detroit. I honestly think they don't have the mental skills to compute in the abstract how much something costs in relation to how much money they have. It's as if each time they are given change an entirely new reality opens up and they need to reassess all possible purchasing options. I watch their reactions as they're given change and the look on their faces suggests they are completely surprised by whatever amount is now in their hands.

Not only is there an inability to do math, but the concept of savings is never in play. Every last penny must be spent at that moment on whatever is available. There's no thought of deferred pleasure for something greater in the future attainable through savings, only successive calculations of what may be purchased right now, down to single cigarettes or packs of gum.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people like to keep it real ...stupid.

Supersport

Post Number: 10598
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have lived in the city for about four years and longer before that

So what was it, once seven years?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 65.185.132.134
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come if you have to go to the bank (and go inside to a tellers window) on the 3rd of the month or the 17th, there are tons of people lined up to cash their gub-ment check, and when the teller mentions that the whole process would be much easier for them (the payee)if they had an account with said financial institution, the same four shitty excuses for not having or starting an account come out of each and every mouth?

I believe this is what my grandma used to call
"no-accounts"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up in Dearborn 1970-1988, lived in Hamtramck/Detroit 1989-1991, then lived in Detroit for the last four years.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 382
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to prove anything to Supersport or Detroitplanner. It doesn't matter how long you've lived here. Either way, anyone with a brain can tell that many residents of this city do very fucked up things and they have been doing these things for a long time. Sadly, they'll pass it down to their children as well.

(Message edited by chub on September 14, 2006)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Chub. It's fair turn-about, I guess. I want to know something, other people wonder what motivates the question and how I could not know the answer. That said, I'm admitting my ignorance up-front. I find this behavior baffling.

I'll say this about that court date, though. When we finally got to the judge, it was so late in the day he started giving out fines without points just to move it along, so maybe it helped that people were uncooperative and slowed it all down.

Supersport

Post Number: 10600
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen here Chubba Helms, I was under the impression that he had to submit his street creds, is this no longer the case?

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.152.248.31
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, I'm making an effort not to base this on race or culture. I'm just seeing what goes on around me in Detroit, and I don't get it."
------------------------------ ------------------

Actually, the culture has a lot to do with the way people perceive things as well as act. Look at the latest numbers in dealing with "single -parent households", and tell me this doesnt have an impact on children and the way they see and handle situations when they grow up. The father isnt there to educate their children, the mother is working and unable to show kids between right and wrong. Some one earlier posted that had they done this when they were young, their bottoms would have been warmed, and their ice cream tossed.....
Also,

The number of prisons are increasing, the number of high school graduates is decreasing, the number of children being born out of wedlock is increasing. Fathers are now bragging about having multiple children, yet arent in the picture when their children need them.

More immigrants come to this country today, not wanting to give up their culture, their language, but expect to get a good paying job so they can send money back to their families in countries they left. Look at the problems with immigration today, a number one problem...

You are wrong in your statement that it doesnt involve race and culture, but I can understand, because you dont want to be labeled a racist. That is why you were careful not to ruffle any feathers when you posted. I m sure I will get a few comments, but again, I am posting the truth

Chub

Post Number: 383
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen here SS, you don't need street cred to see that people are not doing things to better themselves or their enviorment.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane in all of your rant you never once said anything about spending habits. That is what nerd was getting at.

What annoys me: The 'portable' basketball hoops that are not set up in driveways or yards. Thats where we used to play growing up and we stayed out of people's way. Heck it has to cost more for those portable things than just attaching a backboard and a hoop to your garage!

Janesback

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, you are correct. I had read the article about "litter in Detroit", then this one. Apologies to the forum on mixing up the two. Jane

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 69.246.19.24
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you don't need no blog to prove that you've got street cred.

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I like how you tell someone the price for something, weather it's a service or for an item and then they dicker with you. You see the price thats what it is."

I like how sometimes you can't tell the difference between the WEATHER...WHETHER you live up North or down South.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1854
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fathers are now bragging about having multiple children, yet arent in the picture when their children need them.

Has any father ever bragged to you about having multiple children and then not being in the picture?

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What I hate about party stores is I'll buy something costing 2.95, pay with a crisp twenty, and get a wad of dirty, crumpled up ones in change. "

That's why I use my debit card for all transactions.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 342
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, I highly recommend that you read A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby Payne. She explains the "hidden rules" of generational poverty, middle-class, and wealth and how these rules affect the behavior of all of us and our reactions to the behavior of others.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 70.229.255.110
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now something I was mentioning way bakc in the other blogs is being brought up. Yall just dont like me because I told the truth. Its laziness and the drugs and alcohol.

Most detroiters dont even have a college degree.
(particulary the later genereations).

Detroiters can count, they just act the way they act becuase they think its cool. Their being blindsided by all the fads and coolness and not seeing the reality of things. I give everyone a jail in some prison and everyone will straigthen up.

Janesback

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now something I was mentioning way bakc in the other blogs is being brought up. Yall just dont like me because I told the truth. Its laziness and the drugs and alcohol. "
------------------------------ ------------------------
Dtown1, I dont think people dislike you for posting the truth, I think the truth is something people dont like to face. Accountability was the issue I was talking about as well as the culture of people, and how they raise their famiies.

Look at Seattle, look at the education level and the housing. I think Microsoft is one of the biggest employers in the city. Look at the crime rates of that city, and compare it to others. Numbers speak shear volumes.

Im sure its upsetting to some, but its factual. ........

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 70.229.255.110
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, Any family from 1980 can plead, it wasnt nothing like it is today from the families to the environment, and that crack and cocaine did start coming out after 1981 and their like mind control for evil.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.43.115.231
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry firefly, it has been corrected.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I used to walk in the middle of the street for safety...LOL right. In the 80's when the city was under populated people can't hide so easy in the street.

Why do suburbinites run & ride bikes in the street when they have perfectly maintained sidewalks?

2. When one has a dollar or two to spend one tends to be tight with the remaining nickles & dimes. Plus their may be some illiteracy issues regarding the money handling.

Practice compassion

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so why does it have to be about DETROIT, detroitnerd??!?!?! you think you're making this incredibly astute observation about the ways of detroiters with no basis. do ALL detroiters walk in the street and lazily respond in court?? about 90% of your observations are also based in judgements and lack of information- no fact. why dont you move to another city and make vast generalizations about their people instead of trying to find something wrong with the way that poor detroiters behave.

and i dont buy that you're just innocently remarking on what you've noticed in detroit. you were commenting as if there were something wrong with their behavior in your view. i doubt that detroit is the only municipality in the world in which people haggle w/money, walk in the street, and do other things. you're just another idiot who finds any reason he can to badmouth detroiters and detroit. and living in detroit doesnt give you any credibility or license to criticize. you are still just as prejudiced. so get a flippin life! you talk like a jackass! and furthermore you start stupid threads.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting how the newbies seem to be attacking you Detroitnerd?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you have change, and you're tight on money, you save it.

I think what Detroitnerd was asking if there was anything beneath the surface on why people do those things. Things that he (or I, or most people) don't understand might have a real reason that we just don't see.

I also don't see why someone would need to live in Detroit (which actually means a ghettohood, since if you live in a nice area then you aren't *really* a Detroiter, at least to some people here) to ask why.

Suburbanites ride bikes in the street because that's techinically where you're supposed to ride them, although I think the sidewalk is better. I'd personally be afraid of riding them in the street.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Steelworker. I think I struck a nerve with Pistonian.

For what it's worth, Pistonian, I'm not saying all Detroiters walk in the street. I'm not trying to make vast generalizations about all Detroiters . (I was surprised by the near-unanimous recalcitrance in court, though.) I can see why you'd be sensitive, too. There are so many white guys who delight in saying, "I know this isn't politically correct, but ... [insert disingenous 'observation' here]" After a while, it's hard to take somebody seriously when they say they're out of their depth. I've lived in different places and know that when I see something happening over and over again, it doesn't come out of a vacuum. There's some reason, or there are some reasons. And that's what I am trying to figure out.

One thing I've learned, though: If somebody is convinced you are prejudiced, there's seldom anything you can say to convince them otherwise.

Supersport

Post Number: 10604
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Has any father ever bragged to you about having multiple children and then not being in the picture?

There was this episode of Springer back in the day...

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 476
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born and raised in Detroit, and when I was a teenager in Detroit, we walked in the middle of the street. I don't know why, everybody just did. Maybe cause we could walk abreast (I usually traveled with two to three girlfriends at a time).

And don't make abreast jokes. You know what I mean! (you dirty dirty people)

Chub

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, if my parents ever caught me walking in the middle of the street, I'd get told not to do that again and to always walk on the sidewalk. Strangely, if I rode a bike or skateboard in the street, that was ok in my parents eyes.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why do suburbinites run & ride bikes in the street when they have perfectly maintained sidewalks?

Run? I don't know. But riding bikes on the sidewalk is often illegal, as much as I dislike that law.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not ride bikes on sidewalks?

Pedestrians. Curbs. Glass.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the law, bicycles are allowed on streets. It's been a while since I've had driver's ed, but I think there allowed the same distance as motorcycles...

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this one: when someone tells the party store clerk to "knock the tax off that?" I've seen it a few times, and there's a sign at the Chene-Trombley market reading "All food taxed." Is that some urban legend going around, that sales tax is optional?
Also, the walking in the street thing is really annoying when people won't move for cars. A cop told me that many times, teens walking in the street won't get out of the way even for police cars. It's either a form of intimidation, or maybe they WANT to get hit, so they can sue.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal favorite is the people who put their trash from their fast food or crap they got at the party store and just leave it lying there. Would it hurt to burn an extra calorie to throw it away in the garbage or even better, Just take it home with you and put it in your own trash. It can not possibly put someone in cardiac arrest

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State law is no tax on food except from restaurants/fast-food/carry-ou t.

later - naturalsister

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should've clarified. Trombley's "all food taxed" sign is at the carryout counter. I'd assume they wouldn't tax grocery items. When I've seen someone request to "knock the tax off," it's been for liquor, cigarettes, etc.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at a credit union and ppl used to come in with their checks and ask for specific amounts of money...

say the check is for 1278.33

they would ask for
4 hundreds
10 fifties
15 twenties
7 tens
and 8 rolls of quarters

AND NO LIE
put the 33 cent in their bank account

if not that type of combo, they would ask for 7-10 money orders of varying amounts

WTF

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ enough to keep the account open

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another Detroit thing: getting a load of sliced bread with your carry-out order. Carry out places even go to the effort of listing it as part of the order.

I have to second Neilr's recomendation for "Framework for Understanding Poverty" by Ruby Payne. The book is a quick, fun and interesting read. You could even use it at a party if you really wanted to (maybe I'm kind of nerdy). It will open your eyes up to a lot of things that seem illogical or trivial as well as give you a fantastic understanding of the though process that folks from a poverty, middle class and rich background use in making decisions. The DPS uses it religiously to train all new teachers and principals.

http://www.amazon.com/Framewor k-Understanding-Poverty-Ruby-P ayne/dp/1929229143

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS trains new teachers?? All I got was a lecture on work rules and a lesson on how to laminate (on my own dime). I want a refund!

It would have been helpful had they had such training when I was coming into DPS. It may have put an interesting topic to an otherwise boring "training" session.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 628
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I never want to hear again, that poor children can't learn!" -- Dr. Ruby Payne

That's beautiful.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and after you've totalled up my bill for gas, cigarettes, candy bars, chips, some gum and a drink, gimme two Swishers, how much is that?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one that has been puzzling me. It seems unique to metro Detroit.

At red lights, many people start rolling forward just before the light turns green.

A) How are they able to anticipate when the light will change? Do they mentally count off the seconds? (This happens even when the cross street's yellow light isn't visible to use as a cue.)

B) Why do they bother? Is it just a courtesy to alert other drivers of the upcoming light change? Is it a proud display of traffic skill?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can anticipate when the light will change by looking at the lights for the opposite direction or by looking at the ped. crossing lights.

The anticipation does help keep traffic moving. I've been to some other cities where folks didn't anticipate and it made traffic go slow - everyone sort of slowly got up to speed, just to stop at the next light because they took so long to get there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.