Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Litter In Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.245.84.19
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the litter problem in Detorit is completely out of control. No other city in the metro area comes close to having as much visible litter as Detroit. This is besides the illegal dumping. When the motor city makeover comes around I will admit there is a visible clean up of the city, which is done very well. Though a month later it all seems to be back again. Does anybody else agree with me about an out of control litter problem and do you think it can be solved given peoples "who cares its Detroit!" attitude.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a out-of-control litter problem with people walking or driving down the street and just throwing trash on the street.
Why they can't stick it someplace until they get home or go by a trash can is beyond me. The same thing goes for gangs of people strolling down the middle of the streets. Detroit isn't Maybery RFD.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 583
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy Wendler and the members of the Southwest Detroit Busines Association have a successful street litter program. For at least the past three years cleaning teams have cleaned and swept West Vernor several times a week. Its made big difference. There's much less littering. Its catching on.

In my neighborhood its the prostitutes and the getaway guys who walk down the middle of the street.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 997
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I moved to Hamtramck from Macomb Twp., I am blown away by the litter problem. Everyday I walk down the street and pick up debris of all sorts. Mostly its chip bags and assorted plastic and paper. Yesterday it was a full kleenex box. Hasn't anyone respect for their community or the world in general?

That said...I'm bringing clean back.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have respect for my community and the world in general.

Grey
Username: Grey

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 207.218.136.169
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while back on my way to Chicago, I had to make a stop in Gary, IN. The downtown is obviously past its economic prime, but living as I do in Detroit, I was amazed at the freedom from litter. Block after tidy run-down block.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 68.30.250.221
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame, but people are pigs. It is pure disrespect for others and yourself when you just chuck garbage onto the streets and sidewalks.

I dated a guy who grew up in Detroit, lives in Lathrup and had no problem cleaning out his vehicle and using Detroit as a receptacle.

This is one that gets my ire up like nothing else.

Blatant disrespect - but what do you do about it?

Sad to have to spend so much money chasing this problem.

later - naturalsister

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturalsister--you said "dated" as in past tense. Was the littering thing the deal breaker, or just "the peoples exhibit C"

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i cant stand ppl taht litter out the window...I remember once I saw someone throw a burger king bag out the window...i was like WTF...who do they think will come by to clean that up?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 69.221.80.238
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall once incident last summer on the west side. A grown man and a little girl were walking together. They had obviously just been to the store for an ice cream novelty. The little girl took the wrapper off and just let it fly in the breeze. The man, presumably her father, never flinched. If I had done that when I was little, my butt would have been warm and my ice cream bar would have been in the trash. As usual, it's a cycle that needs to be broken.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 70.227.216.34
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My litterng WTF moment came when I was on my way home from work one day. I was driving southbound on Telegraph and shortly after I passed 8 Mile I noticed a van in the turn area of the median pushing something out the drivers side window. As I got closer I realized this person had one of those white kitchen sized garbage bags, full to the brim, and was leisurely dumping it on the median for all passersby to see. He drove off like it was nothing. I so badly wished there would have been a cop driving by at that time. Almost took down the license plate number to report this, but figured it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. I'm also tired of all the smokers who flick their spent cigarettes out the window. Your vehicle already smells like that crap, but heaven forbid you should dirty your ashtray and then have to clean it out (although I suppose they would just have one big pile to dump in the street rather than individual butts scattered along our roads).

Arrrgggh, I hate litterers; it really gets my goat.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1146
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Your vehicle already smells like that crap, but heaven forbid you should dirty your ashtray and then have to clean it out

What about cars that don't have ashtrays?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 353
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BUY ONE!

You should be able to get one for under the price of two packs.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a "get-away" guy?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone running/walking VERY QUIETLY through the streets about 3:00 AM - often pushing a lawnmower and/or some bikes.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 70.227.216.34
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

http://www.brandsport.com/toy- 74102-02140.html

Find an acceptable means of disposal such as in the link above. Just because a car is not equipped with one doesn't make it ok to throw spent cigarettes all over our streets and sidewalks, nor do I appreciate the hot butts flying through the air and hitting my car.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1149
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are taking me way too seriously.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 70.229.255.110
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although truly, this issue is based on race. Since the genereation today is gettting so lazy when it comes to cleaning behind themselves, their taking it out in public and detroying our city.

Now how is this a race thing? Well since the outsiders know there isnt an enforced law or tidiness in the city, they just come and dump their trash right in our backyards. I've seen people completely miss a garbage can and know it. The outsiders or majorities dont go trashing their neighborhoods, but they bring it into some minorities' neighborhood purposely.

Litter is also a issue when it comes to the livelyhood of the city. No one wants to live in a rat hole. I'm sure corporate businesses want their storefronts clean and free of litter. Their not going to take the time to do it themselves because their too cocky. We need a cleaning crew and more enforcement when it comes to these lazy peoplle and litterbugs. Otherwise, the city won't get any better.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1077
Posted From: 75.10.4.241
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I didn't know there were suburbanites driving into town, buying single bags of Flamin' Hot Cheetos and placing the empties on city sidewalks.

And those lazy businesspeople, working all day at their stores, so so lazy they are.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.152.248.31
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The outsiders or majorities dont go trashing their neighborhoods, but they bring it into some minorities' neighborhood purposely.
------------------------------ -------------

Dtown1, care to explain that statement? Thanks, Jane

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1328
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The outsiders or majorities dont go trashing their neighborhoods, but they bring it into some minorities' neighborhood purposely.

I'd agree that is true to a large extent with illegal dumping. Once a place (Detroit) becomes known as somewhere you can safely dump a big load of trash/debris without being noticed, people from outside the city will do a large portion of the dumping.

This thread is more about regular litter, though. With litter, my observation is that it's mostly the city residents doing the littering.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 479
Posted From: 4.229.90.33
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slobs are everywhere. I live and work in the burbs and pick up other people's trash at both places several times a week.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to say that it is an excuse, but it is my opinion that the surrounding conditions can be contagious. Countless people, many from outside of the City, use the neighborhoods and streets as a free alternative to proper disposal of trash, building materials, etc. While most of the Cheetos bags are not from the same offenders, the importance of throwing your straw wrapper or napkin in the trash seems less important when on your way home from 7-11 you walk past empty lots with demo'ed shingles, a broken toilet, a commercial property with weeds and cinder blocks, etc. It is the completely wrong attitude, but I have to say that I feel more angry seeing small peices of trash in a clean neighborhood or communitiy than on a street where you can see a dumpster's worth piled behind an abandoned car.

Don't take my post the wrong way; clean up efforts start with local residents doing their part to dispose of litter and keep their property clean. However, motivation to go that extra step often is rooted in neighborhood pride; some of the areas where litter problem is the worst get literally dumped on far too often.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no excuse for putting trash any other place than in the proper receptacle. Period. It all starts with one person doing the right thing. As I drive through the city, I often wonder what it would look like if every person cleaned up in front of the building they occupy, be it a home, business, owner, renter. It would have a huge impact and might start a trend. And pull those DAMN weeds out of the cracks of the sidewalks.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess in a round-about way, that's what I'm saying. It's the same situation as in downtown. Start enforing code violations for property upkeep, and not only to you make things safer but you also boost the image of the street or block, etc.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

something as simple as enforcing the litter fines shouldnt be so hard should it? But yet it is? When will the powers that be in Detroit care? How about the broken street light? That should be easily fixed as well? Why arent they? Detroits leaders are full of hot air and excuses and no real action ever takes place. WHY?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the Downtown Detroit vans cruising down Fort (where I work) on a nightly basis. I think they've done a great job. However, someone has strewn trash all over the onramp to the Lodge at Cobo. It's been there for more than a week. It's like an entire garbage bag of trash.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss cleo, who will enforce the no-littering ordinance? Not the police, and definitely not the sheriff.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.