Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Are there any baseball fans at comerica? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1783
Posted From: 4.229.132.36
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that every game I go to there is a constant stream of people doing anything but watching the game? If you sit near an aisle you might as well not be there because dumbasses are always getting up and blocking the view because they have to have more beer another hot dog some pizza etc, etc, motherfucking etc.

Of course much of this is because the stadium is really a place where the game is incidental.But one would thnk when the team is actually playing for something that coming to the game might mean actually sitting down for several innings and watching the game.

Maybe they should just build a midway near the outfield.A complete carnival with freak shows, alcohol, maybe a Hooters or something, and then all the yahoos that come to mill around and not watch thegame can gather and let those of us that actually want to watch baseball....watch baseball

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 208
Posted From: 69.137.220.168
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm, just like the Wolverine football games right, CityLover? People come in the second quarter, talk on their phones/to friends around them for awhile and leave in the third while at the same time there are people desperate to go to just one game.

But yeah, I see people like this everytime I'm at Tigers games. It's dissapointing. But what are you going to do about it? The seats are being filled by paying customers, even if they aren't die-hard Tigers fans.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 141.217.226.172
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to a game against the Angels a couple weeks ago (the one where they blew the 2-1 lead after getting the first 2 outs of the ninth). People started leaving en masse when the game was tied at 2-2 heading into the top of the 10th. That killed me.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank all of the "corporate entertainment" types for that.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1208
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just sounds like the Wrigley Field syndrome to me. Drink, eat, talk on your cell, see and be seen... do anything but watch the game.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 987
Posted From: 69.14.126.173
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

CL
A complete carnival with freak shows...

It already is only to be topped by Lions tailgaters.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those folks your describing Ciytlover are on the bandwagon. If they weren't there Comerica would have half the attendance.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10590
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you people fuckin' kidding me? Was anybody else at last night's game? When your team plays pathetic baseball like they did last night they deserve to get their asses kicked, fans have nothing to cheer for. In case you haven't noticed, there haven't been many W's showing up lately.

I mean fuck, how long are they gonna let Sean Casey start when he hits .224? I don't care if he's a lifetime blah, blah, blah. I'll take Chris Shelton over him any day! Glad to Shelton enter the game later on last night. Then there is Perez, seriously, why is he even still on the team? Last 10 games he's hitting .214, .239 for the year.

Leyaland needs to light some fires, and light them fast. The season is winding down and this team is about to crash and burn. Cheer? Cheer for what? Detroit fans are very intolerant, you put a winner on the field, court, ice...people will cheer. Your performance drops off, even if recordwise you are doing good, and the fans will boo. It's a brutal town to play sports in to say the least.

Citylover

Post Number: 1784
Posted From: 67.36.21.222
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It happens at every game sport. It is interesting that you bitch about casey since he hit a triple last nite and perez who also had a hit which as we know are not coming too frequently for any Tiger.Shelton has done zero, nothing since is return.In fact aside from April he has done nothing and I winder if he will ever play in the majors again.

On my original point it would not matter how the game went the same non fans would be making it difficult for those of us that believe the game is the attraction

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you have to pay those high prices you better expect to get the best! Anything less should be booed.
Baseball isn't the only entertainment game in town so you have the sideshows to attract the mildly interested.
Die hard baseball fans are getting fewer every day.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2970
Posted From: 69.81.50.7
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel your pain CL, but baseball is not about baseball anymore; it is about entertainment. Outside of the real fans, like you sound, most consider baseball as interesting as watching paint dry.

Corporate baseball recognizes that if it is going to attract those people, just baseball, especially when your team totally sucks like the Tigers until this year, you need 'bread and circuses'. Also there is a lot of money to be made in these side concessions and freak shows.

Back in the day when the Tigers would get in contention and the crowds started to come back, I remember the old-timers at the real ball park, Tiger Stadium, grunting dismissively, "Ugh, the frontrunners are back."

They are easy to spot. In a tense situation when a Tiger hits a routine fly out to center, they all go hysterical thinking it is going to be a home run while the old-timers are cussing out the hitter for chasing a poor pitch.

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 72.240.58.198
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they keep going to get beer and food because they get tired of see the tigers strike out and swing at pitches in the dirt and 3 feet out of the strike zone.

Leyland is overrated. I don't have the confidence he can turn this ship around going into the playoffs.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8790
Posted From: 67.71.56.85
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This goes for any sport today. Higher prices, corporate boxes means the average guy who has insane passion for the game and his team cannot purchase these tickets.
The fans that used to go to the games can now be found at the local pub.
Have you ever noticed how quiet games are today? Except for the odd few many games (regardless of the sport) most of the lower levels are filled with guys in suits who rarely let out a yell. You can still find a few fans in the upper levels with painted faces, signs acting out their antics but the games of yesterday are gone forever. The almighty $$ has taken hold and sure as hell won't let go.

BTW: Have you ever noticed that games seem a bit more boring today as well?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so a guy in a suit isn't a fan???

you people are ridiculous. the more I read this forum, the more I think you people have never been outside of metro detroit, or at least haven't paid attention when you've traveled.

every sport stadium is like this. it is more of a social event until the playoffs when games really start to mean something....

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2096
Posted From: 68.42.75.78
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People compare this syndrome to Wrigley field and Michigan Stadium...but I don't see the connection very well. At these places, the outside distractions are kept to a minimum; both places are not geared very much to families either; both those places have an atmosphere which is much more geared toward the field and they are thus more intense (but the Cubs suck and UM is awesome). The Michigan stadium comparison from Wolverine of all people was really a head scratcher for me. What he said characterizes halftime/pregame, but when the game is played, it is the most awesomely intense sporting atmosphere I've ever seen.

Citylover speaks the truth, though. Hopefully we'll be blessed with the playoffs so that we can have a chance to really act like a baseball crowd. Hopefully the children under 5 and old gaffers who are too tired to clap their hands won't be there. And hopefully eight dollar beers and 4 dollar hot dogs won't be the emphasis at this point. I'm kind of hoping to get standing room tickets from here on out just so I don't have to deal with the sit/stand politics which happen in regular seats.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2788
Posted From: 4.229.105.114
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess that is what you would expect when you can wait in the beer line and still watch the game live. Couldn't do that at Tiger Stadium...

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 68.21.41.38
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i miss the good old days of 2004, when i had the whole row to myself...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2791
Posted From: 4.229.105.114
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udm... you may have hit on the source of Citylovers discontentment... he's not used to having full rows of people to contend with... :-)

Citylover

Post Number: 1785
Posted From: 67.36.21.222
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah Gistock he problem is people won't sit the fuck down and watch the game.

Btw we had a nasty asshole usher.So my sister went to guest services and complained stating we had spent a lot of money and were disturbed by his disposition.They were very accomodating and took care of us.

I did have a good time.I just come from a time when the game was the only real attraction

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10591
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta try out the merry-go-round and ferris wheel, it's da bomb! You won't ever wanna watch the game ever again. lol

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4065
Posted From: 68.255.239.19
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacobs Field has a beautiful policy that you cannot return to you seat until the end of a half inning.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 462
Posted From: 198.175.55.5
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic, but anyone that characterizes Michigan Stadium's atmosphere as "intense" has never been to a REAL college football stadium (and no, I'm not talking about Spartan Stadium). Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, LSU, Auburn, Ohio State (sorry), THESE are places with intensity. Michigan, while awesome for its size and function over form purpose, is rather quiet and anti-intense. Wolverine's description is quite accurate.

Now, back on topic. As has been said before, many of you have clearly never been to Wrigley. Fans standing up to get beer and food? Are you serious? Get a life.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ I'm not too sure I like that. What if someone returns just as the batter steps into the batters box and can't get to his/her seat? You could be waiting for 5 to 20 minutes depending on how much offense there is.

You have to expect some distractions when you go to a baseball game or any other sporting event. I can't say I've ever been really annoyed by people getting up and having to get food or whatever else they need to do. Most of the people are extremely apologetic so it's not something they take lightly.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4066
Posted From: 68.255.239.19
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then you can watch the inning from the standing room area behind the section. The rule encourages a lot less movement and a more enjoyable game for more fans. I think the Wings have the same rule at the Joe, you can;t go to your seat until there is a break in the action.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 198.175.55.5
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all hockey arenas have that rule. I always thought it related to pucks leaving the ice, since when you're in the aisles, you are not protected by the glass.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2098
Posted From: 68.42.75.78
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Focus, perhaps you're right when it comes to the general/alumni seating, but not the student section. I'm pretty sure it's the largest student section in the nation, too.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8791
Posted From: 67.71.56.85
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried. Re-read the post. It is mostly business men with the tax write-offs. I would say hardly any of them are true passionate fans.
In my corporation I would say 15 out of the 70 are eager to take customers to these games while the others do it only for personal gain (more business) and could care less if they were there or not.
Now multiply that by the hundreds of corporations out there and you will understand what I mean.
This goes for Detroit AND T.O. where my company has corporate boxes.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1308
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That rule was not in effect earlier this season at Jacobs Field.... unless the usher of my section wasnt doing his job

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.