Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » New Urbanism in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am doing some research on the effects of New Urbanism in rustbelt cities and would like to use Detroit as a case study. I know that the Crosswinds Development on Woodward is considered a "new urbanist" site - any others out there that people know of or other resources? Thanks all.

pmardo

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd start with Capitol Park. Late evenings are the best, bring your camera. Very newurbanismy.

(Message edited by solarflare on September 13, 2006)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park is New Jack Urbanism!

Look in Corktown for infil!
Look at Warrendale its Old New Urban!
Check out the City of Monroe and Mason Run. It is built on a brownfield close to downtown and the river.

The Whole Woodward Corridor has great examples of new townhouses, condo apartments and loft developments; too many to even begin mentioning by developer or site.

The Far east side is seeing lots of Infil as well, heck even Brightmoor is getting infil housing.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Define "New Urbanism"

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 216.90.34.74
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmardo,

You should contact the fine folks at Archive DS, they are the local experts on "New Urbanism."

http://www.archiveds.com

Chris_rohn

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Urbanism: http://www.cnu.org/

(for those who don't know what it is)

(Message edited by chris_rohn on September 13, 2006)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 204.44.186.129
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but Brush Park is not in lines with the "new Urbanism" concept, as I understand it. Brush Park is simply an infill modern development into an old neighborhood. While the development was created to fit into an urban neighborhood, there is no plan for retail or entertainment, which is usual for such "New Urbanism" developments. There are no developments meeting this description in the City of Detroit, except, perhaps, on the Riverfront.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1768
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you even bother to look at the CNU site? Retail and entertainment aren't definining characteristics of New Urbanism.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm dunno about anyone else but the Riverfront is the last thing I would think of current new urbanist sites in Rustbelt Cities.

Brush Park re-establishes a wall of homes on Woodward. It is certainly harmounius with its surroundings, is preserving what it can, and is walkable. How can this not be considered new urbanist?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 68.20.140.7
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Corktown is one example. Densely built on original lots sizes (very small lots). I agree though that mixed use is an important element of new urbanism. One could say that the downtown conversions from office space to residential and retail are new urbanist.

Actually I know there are a few new urbanist projects in the burbs with mixed use, etc.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 69.215.77.47
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Urbanism = Politically correct term for white folks wanting to regain that which they had abandoned.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 68.40.171.54
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherry Hill Village in Canton qualifies as New Urbanism. It is much better than anything else in Canton. I do not see any development in Detroit which fulfills the criteria. Those who have seen CHV know it is a very different and interesting concept. Maybe someday a similar development will make it in Detroit.

http://www.biltmore-homes.com/ c_chv.htm

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHV Does not fit his criteria of rustbelt cities.

Pmardo

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it is part of the metro Detroit region ... but I was looking for something like CHV in the city of Detroit, which to my knowledge does not exist (perhaps for the better?)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4329
Posted From: 71.236.229.212
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no "new urbanism" in Detroit, period. But calling out Detroit as "rust belt" could run some risks on this Forum, full of Detroit lovers.

Detroit renewal today looks like 1950s suburbanization, with automobile concerns first, parking to the street, and walking and biking, public transit, way down the list. Strip malls are what Detroit is still building.

"New urbanism" is when bldgs. are built to the street lot line, parking in the back. Multi-use, retail downstairs, housing upstairs in 3 storey-bldgs. It looks like Detroit of the 1920s. Block upon block of this kind of retail and housing upstairs.

Chicago's Northside is full of this model of renewal. Density is built near "L" lines. Buildings hug the streets and the corners like the 1920s. Parking is behind.

jjaba.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 328
Posted From: 70.236.200.44
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N ew_urbanism

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4423
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're making quite an indictment on Detroit development, Jjaba. While a alot (a clear majority) of it isn't New Urbanist in nature, there are key projects that stick out such as the new North Corktown single family homes, The Ellington, Centurion Place, along with quite a few others you conveniently gloss over.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba right.

New Urbanism = Good Ideas but bad nostalgic looking architecture.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1979
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmardo, Detroit doesn't have any true "New Urbanist" projects. That's because Detroit still has the building blocks and infrastructure from Real Urbanism left in many of its neighborhoods.

You can find lots of examples of rehabed, mixed use buildings and neighborhoods in Detroit that are undergoing significant reinvestment. Some neighborhoods that might be "sexy" enough for a project on New Urbanism would be Brush Park, downtown, Midtown, Corktown and Mexicantown/West Vernor.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4986
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jeffries Projects are long gone to be developed into a gentrified "New Urbanism, "Nouveau Riche" style single family homes called Woodbridge Estates.

As the Ghettoman watch the po'folks make a urban lifestyle home called "Garbage Gardens."

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1209
Posted From: 69.14.251.28
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically, Detroit rejected New (or Old) Urbanism beginning in the '20s, when single-family housing developments became predominant with builders in the city (see Rosedale Park, East English Village, etc.) and everything began to be oriented toward the automobile.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 242
Posted From: 69.3.251.25
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old new urbanism = Lafayette Park.

PS: This weekend the "experiment" as some here insist on calling it, is having a 50th Birthday party. All are welcome:

http://www.neighborhoodlink.co m/pdf/nhextra/178452061/586995 858/748803429.pdf

Danindc

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks, would you be happier if New Urbanist developments featured more vinyl siding? I'm not sure what you meant by "nostalgic". Care to explain?

Stecks77

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: I hate vinyl siding.

The New Urbanist desire to build a walkable community like in the good old days is a nostalgic sentiment, which based upon seeing some proposed and completed projects I've seen, gets translated architecturally into a re-hashing of older architectural styles.

Building a block of Victorian looking town houses in the 21st century is ridiculous. Go to newurbanist.com and you'll see that almost every building plan calls for structures that predominantly appear to be 19th/early 20th century in both character and design. Why is this?

The New Urbanist principles, desires, and hopes I don't have a problem with, its their choice of architecture that sucks. I would prefer to see some architecture and building choices that exemplify and define the age we are currently living in rather then one that occurred a hundred years ago.

Danindc

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The New Urbanist desire to build a walkable community like in the good old days is a nostalgic sentiment

If you read anything on New Urbanism (Andres Duany's "Suburban Nation" is a good start), you'll quickly learn that the motivation is more economical than nostalgic. The fact that walkable neighborhoods command enormous real estate premiums over their automobile-oriented counterparts certainly isn't due purely to some outdated sentimental notion. "Sustainability" is the operative term here.

When building new structures in a dense, urban environment, it's important to consider the context of what already exists. So, some design elements may intentionally play off existing architecture. I can't say, however, that I've seen Victorian architecture in a new building, though.

That's not to say everything has to resemble what has already been built. I've seen some rowhouses in DC that are very modernist, with clean, rectangular lines, abutting Victorian houses that are 125 years older. It all depends.... The one thing to keep in mind, though, that unlike Suburbia, the parts of an urban environment are meant to work together, so you can't just plop any old thing down in the middle of a lot. In this sense, streetscape supersedes the building itself.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 4.229.60.41
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmardo, you really have to define what kind of new urbanism you are looking to study. Are you using this term as a synonym for infill development, or are you looking to examine development that seeks to adhere to the principals promoted by the CNU charter?

If you're looking for the latter, you will not find any such projects within the city limits. While plenty of decent infill has been completed, none of it has taken place in the context of promoting pedestrian scale, or planning for neighborhood or district-wide mixed-uses. A perfect opportunity to establish an inner-city example of a large scale new urbanist development was lost when Jefferson Village followed the standard strip mall/residential subdivision route.

Stecks77

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the New Urbanist guru's was hear not too long ago. I foget his name. He was a keynote speaker at a meeting regarding the developement of the east riverfront. I think there is a prior thread about that meeting?

Pmardo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks - was it UM professor Chris Leinberger?

I think one reason that full-fledged new urbanist developments are not to be found within the city is that they generally occur on greenfield sites, since it is easier for developers to build new planned communities away from the time and money delays of Detroit's building permits, zoning restrictions, etc.

Thanks for the help everyone, infill will have to do for now.

Stecks77

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: I am very aware that there are numerous benefits, including economic, to pursuing New Urbanist strategies, but once again, the predominant architecture they promote is in the Federal, Victorian, Classical, and Italianate style. There may be a few contemporary style New Urbanist developments but they pale in comparison to what is actually getting built. Instead were getting small Disneyland communities.

I love urban environments because they are a patchwork of architectural styles and periods that tell us something about a cities growth and history. In downtown Detroit there is Art Deco buildings adjacent to modernist. This is not a problem. It represents progress and change.

Proposing a community of Italianate Loft buildings just because there may be a handful in the neighborhood is looking backward architecturally.

Lets preserve the historic structures we have and move on to something more progressive.

(Message edited by stecks77 on September 14, 2006)

Stecks77

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's down with New Urbanism at the site of Tiger Stadium. I think its going to be called Disneyland Corktown

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060820/BUS INESS04/608200561

Pmardo: below is the link back to the announcement about a ULI symposium occuring back on June 6th. The New Urbanist keynote speaker was John Norquist, CEO of the Congress for New Urbanism and former mayor of Milwaukee.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/uli48.aspx

Stecks77

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Quote)

"New Urbanism assembles much of its rhetorical and political power through nostalgic appeal to 'community' as a panacea for our social and economic as well as our urban ills."

David Harvey, professor of geography at Johns Hopkins University. From an article called "New Urbanism and the Communitarian Trap," published in the Harvard Design Magazine 1997 Winter/Spring issue.

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/res earch/publications/hdm/back/1h arvey.pdf

http://reason.com/9901/fe.ro.densethinkers.shtml

The above articles are excellent (skeptical) critiques of New Urbanism for those of you who are interested.

Chris_rohn

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni,

Lafayette Park is a part of the "Urban Renewal" movement, which was all about bulldozing slums and poor areas to build interstates and high rises.

(note: I like Lafayette Park, but on a whole "Urbal Renewal" was a disaster.)

Swingline

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 4.229.60.41
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks, the Disneylandesque criticism of new urbanism is a tired, old and facile one. It keeps getting perpetuated by the architecture academics and private practice "starchitects" who seek to promote a lofty view of their profession as one practiced only by creative geniuses whose every product should be considered as a unique masterpiece of beauty and wonder. The criticism is also perpetuated by the sprawl apologists and protectors of property rights like the Reason Foundation folks who believe that a property owner should have virtually unrestrained rights to do whatever he/she wants with his/her sacred property.

In reality, new urbanist planners and architects focus primarily on the physical form of a development rather than the architectural style. Yes, vernacular and traditional styles often lend themselves to successful new urbanist projects, but these styles are not necessary elements of every project. New urbanists are not so self important as to disqualify historical architectural styles so as to favor the "artistry" of something newly created.

Stecks77

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 69.242.214.7
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew the Disney comment would drive someone crazy. They should have never built Celebration.

Okay, so New Urbanist developements don't include Mickey Mouse walking around but I don't think its a far flung criticisim. When you drive and walk through some of them its creepy. It feels slightly like your walking through the Vegas version of Paris. You wonder if its a complete simulation.

You don't think New Urbanists regard themselves as being self important? Andrés Duany walked down to the Gulf Coast post Katrina like his ideas where going to save the community and the architectural history of the area and once the governor and other politicians stopped drinking the koolaid they booted their asses out because they were difficult to work with and unable to compromise on any of their lofty ideals, design elements, and overall costs. People who lost there homes coudn't even afford the units the New Urbanists were proposing to blanket the area with. So much for considering the economic benefits of the project if no one who actually lives there can buy them.

They may not have a high degree of self importance but they sure do consider there ideas to be the almighty truth and only truth.

See the following article "Battle for Biloxi" in the New York Times Magazine for more information.

From the article (quote)

"Most of the New Urbanists I talked to seemed vexed by the very idea that anyone could disagree with a creed they found self-evident"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05 /21/magazine/21biloxi.html?pag ewanted=1&ei=5070&en=80e143872 470897e&ex=1158379200

Also, you cannot explain to me that a developer and planner only focus primarily on the "physical form" of a development rather then the architectural styles? If so, then why do some new Urbanists sell building plans on their website?

Pmardo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For an even more problematic portrait of Andres Duany (well, actually an article he wrote himself for the American Enterprise Online), see this link:

Three Cheers for Gentrification, by Andres Duany

http://www.taemag.com/issues/a rticleid.15591/article_detail. asp

Danindc

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize lofty ideals were such a bad thing in design. Maybe we as a society have just grown accustomed to having crappy buildings?

Current American architecture, by and large, is shit.

Stecks77

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(quote)

"Current American architecture, by and large, is shit."

That's funny.

No Danindc, that's the architecture the New Urbanists are pushing.

Also, lofty ideals are great for design but some developers and architects think they "know" what the client needs and is in their best interest.

Society hasn't grown accustomed to crappy buildings, they just don't demand better ones.

(Message edited by stecks77 on September 15, 2006)

(Message edited by stecks77 on September 15, 2006)

Danindc

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'll agree to the point that two of the developments on the CNU website: Pentagon Row and Market Square (both in Arlington, VA) aren't terribly well designed, and the materials suck. Both are a bit pretentious in their approach--but at least they got the form correct. Kentlands, on the other hand, is actually very well done.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English Village is a good example of New Urbanism in Detroit. 105 brownstone condominiums with 2-story raised finished basements (three stories of living space). They are being built in clusters of four with minimal setbacks and attached garages facing the alley (the standard in the surrounding neighborhood). The St. Charles Catholic School is also being converted into lofts.

http://www.englishvillagedetro it.com/

Pmardo

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog: Are any of the buildings already completed or is it all under construction still?

pmardo

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot that's been constructed and a lot to still go up. One thing that it lacks is retail. The developers do not plan on building any retail. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that there aren't too many roof tops in that neighborhood.

Swingline

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, the English Village development is an excellent infill project. It seems to have quality materials, it has a handsome traditional Georgian revival design and it is not gated off from the neighborhood. However, it is not a new urbanist project. It is simply a single use residential infill project. New urbanist projects are mixed use and need to be large enough to have a mixed use neighborhood center.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.