Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Teacher Strike Coverage from Ann Arbor? WDET???? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6640
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was 'just' drifting off to sleep...saw that it was close to the hour...so I turned on NPR.

Their second or third story was the DEtroit Teacher's Strike tenative settlement (yay!)...which was dutifully covered by some woman from the ANN ARBOR public radio station.

I know they are a suburb and all...but damn.

Damn. Has WDET fallen so-o far, after our dear Jelk departed from their staff, as to NOT have anyone who can cover this story?!

I know Celeste has to get up early, but she doesn't look like she needs ANY more beauty sleep...or she'll start needing OSHA warning labels. She could have stayed up late this ONE time to get this story down.

(It DID kinda scare me when she took that vacation last month, I'm getting used to hearing her voice in the morning...even if it IS mostly to hear how the rest of the metro area is stuck in traffic. The second or third day she wasn't there I feared that she jumped ship. That would be bad, to me she's their franchise player now. Her local arts interview show on Sunday has already become tradition in the loft...although each and every time they play that promo with the needle dragged out of that classical groove it actually hurts my high-end hifi self deeply!!)

Where's Quinn? Where's what's-his-name's son...that Harvey fellow that Jelk just loves so much.

What is happening at the station with news? WHY couldn't they cover a story in their backyard for the national coverage?

Why can't I get back to sleep...

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1975
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't noticed, the news reports at DET lately have just been reading the wire reports, no actual on-the-spot beat reporting. I think we're seeing the demise of the formerly great news staff at WDET.

Anyone know how the last pledge drive went? I have a strong feeling the news department is being dismantled as a "cost-savings" measure. Coleman has about dismantled every signature and distinguishing feature of DET.

Jerome Vaughn is on his way to WUOM any day now as news director there. It seems the other news staffers do less and less reporting and are heard less and less each week. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the other staff have their resume out there.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's little reason to listen to WDET anymore. I even find I prefer the jazz mix at nights to WRCJ...it's a little more varied than Ed's mix.

How can such a great station have fallen so far?

Gannon

Post Number: 6661
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask Jelk.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. I heard both Ann Arbor *and* Kleinfelter carried on NPR the other morning, so there was at least one national story from Detroit.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1147
Posted From: 68.42.98.224
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree about WRCJ's jazz mix....it is much more varied than Ed's. They are also adding more locally produced programming. They have the DSO "Unmasked" program on Sundays at noon after The Listening Room. I believe they are adding another specialty program in addition to the DSO program.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1281
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who's this noah guy and why the hell isn't quinn doing all the important stories like he used to?

Gannon

Post Number: 6669
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Noah is Harvey Oshinsky's son, I think.

Harvey O is a permanent member on Jelk's excrement list...after they canned him, his son came on board, in his seat in the newsroom apparently.

Hope they haven't emasculated Quinn, he is one brilliant and dead-on serious journalist. Seems very old-school, and we NEED that in news reporting in this town. Someone not afraid to ask the big fellows, like the Big Diamond, the tough questions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.