Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » John Mason in the news « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 207.230.140.240
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Former RADIO ONE Urban AC WDMK (105.9 KISS-FM)/DETROIT host JOHN MASON is being sued by his former employer for breach of contract for trying to launch his own syndicated morning show. MASON, well-known both for his DETROIT radio experience and as the distinctive PA voice of the DETROIT PISTONS, left KISS-FM on JULY 28 and, according to RADIO ONE's lawsuit, has a noncompete in effect throigh JANUARY 29, 2007. RADIO ONE is suing MASON and his DRUM MAJOR CONSULTING, INC., alleging that MASON's attempts to launch a syndicated show violates the agreement. MASON hosted mornings, then afternoons at KISS-FM since 2001 after an 18 year stretch in mornings at crosstown Urban WJLB." (taken from allaccess.com)

John is such a great guy. He needs to be back on the air. Non-compete clauses suck. Hey, if you don't want me any more, I'll find someone who does.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1956
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't hear him on the air right now. How can he be competing?

P.S. Frank Turner thinks non-compete clauses are of the devil!

(Message edited by BVos on September 11, 2006)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 765
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"these are the breaks" if you don't agree with them, don't sign them.

When you are high profile in media (locally) and leave for whatever reason, don't be shocked that people keep tabs on you and make sure you are following the rules. I have a pretty good connection, once I get the details.. I will pass them on to the forum.

The business train of thought, if you can't be my money maker, you can't be someone elese either, lol

Mallory

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, but if you get rid of ME, I must not be bringing it anymore, so why worry where I go?

In radio, non-competes are generally between 6 months and a year. Some have fought them and won, but it's not easy.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I agree, but if you get rid of ME, I must not be bringing it anymore, so why worry where I go? "

He might have been bringin IT and wanted more of IT for himself, you know? So it might not have been the stations idea to let him go, but his decision to leave which is why they are attempting to sue him now for breach of contract. I dunno...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 917
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have time to look for it now, but Crain's had an article highlighting this story a couple of weeks ago. It also made note that he is building a studio in the Guardian Building.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 146.9.16.41
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that his former employers deem his soliciting advertisers (now) for an upcoming show to be current competition, even though he's not yet back on the air.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 741
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Mason is one nice guy. I hope it works out for him

Correctone
Username: Correctone

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.42.152.51
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unless he goes on the air he's not competing with anybody...F...Radio One, they do nothing for the city but pull money out and give nothing back in return...just try to get them to play good local produced music fairly and see what they tell you.

go for it Mason and good luck with your project.

Mallory

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't take it to the Masons at 'GPR. That would be a BIG mistake.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know one thing though, I thought I hated Mason's afternoon show because it was so boring, Wendy Williams makes me wants to fall asleep in the car, and I never sleep when I ride in a car. Even when i was a baby, I ever sleeped in the car. That's how boring Wnedy Williams is and the owners nade a big mistake replacing Mason with her.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.