Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit may get fuel plant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 208.9.112.192
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit may get fuel plant
Biodiesel facility could generate $35m in sales

By Anjali Fluker

6:00 am, September 11, 2006

A renewable-fuel production plant — the first of its kind in Southeast Michigan — could be a month away from breaking ground in the shadow of the Fisher Building.

Santa Barbara, Calif.-based Biodiesel Industries Inc., the company responsible the world’s first renewable biodiesel plant, is going through the site-plan approval process to begin construction on a $6 million-to-$10 million, 15,000-square-foot biodiesel production plant on Baltimore Avenue in Detroit. The plant is expected to generate 30 direct jobs and $35 million in annual sales, said Russell Teall, president of Biodiesel Industries.

Detroit-based Albert Kahn Associates Inc. is the architect on the project; a general contractor has not yet been selected, Teall said.

The alternative fuel is expected to be produced from several sources, including used cooking oils collected from Detroit area restaurants, as well as soybean and sunflower seed oils, Teall said. The fuel created, which burns cleaner than petroleum-based diesel fuel, can be used straight or blended with regular diesel fuel.

Customers will be petroleum terminals and distributors, as well as vehicle fleet operators.

The proposal was first announced last September as part of the alternative-energy R&D efforts of the Detroit-based nonprofit NextEnergy. Those efforts were funded by NextEnergy and Biodiesel Industries, along with the U.S. Department of Energy, the state of Michigan, DaimlerChrysler AG, Delphi Corp., Robert Bosch Corp., Wayne State University and the U.S. Army Tank Automotive and Armaments Command in Warren.

“It really will be the first of its kind in terms of partners and very exciting research possibilities,” said Teall, who added that Biodiesel Industries already owns and operates five plants in the U.S. and Australia. “It will be a showcase facility. It will bring people in not only for research, but also to promote biodiesel.”

The new plant would be among the few environmentally friendly facilities in an urban environment and also will help an area badly in need of new jobs, said James Croce, CEO of NextEnergy.

“(The plant would generate) not only high-tech jobs, but semiskilled jobs and probably some that would be considered unskilled, where this facility would be able to hire people in the surrounding neighborhoods,” Croce said. “With alternative energy, people think of scientists, white coats and Ph.D.s, but here’s a chance for the city to capitalize … on jobs for the entire range of the population.”

Several local fuel distributors, including Taylor-based Atlas Oil Co., Romulus-based RKA Petroleum Cos. and Manchester-based G.E. Wacker Inc., have invested heavily in biodiesel. Executives from the companies say demand for the renewable fuel nationwide far outweighs available supply and additional production plants can help ease that issue.

While biodiesel has its drawbacks — including the tendency to gel in cooler temperatures — there has been a push to generate more use through state tax incentives and proposed mandates.

Earlier this year, the first biodiesel plant in the state opened in Gladstone, in the Upper Peninsula.

“The market is phenomenal,” said Jim Leidel, energy manager for Oakland University’s Facilities Management Building. He also manages the biodieselmichigan. com Web site.

Assistant Wayne County Executive Matthew Schenk said a new Detroit plant, once completed, should spark additional investments in the region.

“(Biodiesel Industries is) a top-quality company,” Schenk said. “It’s been very successful with a nationwide presence and it just signals that this market is open for business and welcoming to alternative-energy companies. That signal is very big … I expect more (companies) to follow.”

The Biodiesel Industries plant is proposed in an existing Renaissance Zone, which offers waiver of various state and local taxes. Wayne County also is seeking to create additional urban agricultural zones to further encourage economic development.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 0911/SUB/60908044/-1/toc

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1274
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds great. my only reservation would be what kind of impact would a plant like that have on nearby neighborhoods? that area isn't but a mile or so from midtown and we defintely don't need another foul smelling plant nearby *shakes fist at the incinerator*

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 11, 2006)

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 141.217.44.112
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly GravityMachine.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 611
Posted From: 71.213.230.209
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Gravity.
When I think bio-diesel plant, I think refinery, not the most neighborly thing I could imagine for that part of the City. But I'll admit, I don't really know too much about this technology.

Maybe down near Ford Rouge instead?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6545
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lotsa land on Zug Island going unused...no reason something like this couldn't be built far away from residences in an industrial area already blighted and nearly unrecoverable.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1477
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

“The new plant would be among the few environmentally friendly facilities in an urban environment and also will help an area badly in need of new jobs, said James Croce, CEO of NextEnergy.

(The plant would generate) not only high-tech jobs, but semiskilled jobs and probably some that would be considered unskilled, where this facility would be able to hire people in the surrounding neighborhoods,” Croce said. “With alternative energy, people think of scientists, white coats and Ph.D.s, but here’s a chance for the city to capitalize … on jobs for the entire range of the population.”

They could only hire po folk and mutants if they locate on Zug Island.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 627
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do Detroit buses run on bio-diesel? Just curious--all 400 or so in Cincinnati now run on bio-diesel, and it seems to be working out pretty well, both for the transit folks and soybean farmers alike.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1953
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a discusion on the forum about this project. At the time the person representing NextEnergy was asking our opinion of farming vacant lots to provide the plant material for the bio-fuel. I'm not real good with the search feature, anyone want to find this?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 69.14.20.35
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biodiesel is pretty straightforward and benign. You can make it at home using the same process the big plants use. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B iodiesel_production

I look forward to running both my VW and oil-burning furnace on a biodiesel mix.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2094
Posted From: 68.42.75.78
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome news. The level of pollution in that area is next to nothing compared to when we actually had dense industrial manufacturing there. Let's not forget, this area along the rail tracks has an industrial heritage, and if someone like this wants to start a business here--go for it.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news, I don't believe the impact from creating Bio Diesel is that much.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1276
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's not forget, this area along the rail tracks has an industrial heritage, and if someone like this wants to start a business here--go for it.

I am well aware of that, my workshop is in that rail corridor, but there is also new residential in that area that wasn't there 'back in the day'....lofts on grand, lofts at milwalkee and beaubien, and new (and old) residential just on the other side of the tracks south of piquette.

I have to admit though, that I don't know much about the process of bio-diesel conversion, and the article doesn't make any mention as to the proposed size of the facility, so it could be a non-issue....

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 11, 2006)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2150
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, they moved into an industrial area. What did they expect would happen? If you move into an industrial zoned area, you better not be surprised whan a new industry moves in. If they wanted residential, they should have moved into an area zoned for residential only.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1139
Posted From: 68.42.98.224
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the city is going to approve it because they need all the tax base they can get. Not to mention the jobs it will bring.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1296
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and they should.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 198.175.55.5
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the people that moved to the neighborhoods directly surrounding O'Hare Airport, and then sued because of the noise.

And won.

Ugh.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 68.74.9.22
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can drink biodiesel. I would not recomend drinking the regular stuff.

Here is a video of Daryl Hannah doing just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEhjypfVgnw&mode=related&search=

I would rather have a biodiesel plant next door than many other types of plants that I can think of. Besides, would you rather see these guys: Oil executives

Or her:
Daryl Hannah

At the grand opening?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1178
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^With the money "those" guys bring in, there will be a lot of the other.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4386
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, great news. Really, these are the kind of jobs needed to help diversify the economy.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 613
Posted From: 71.213.230.209
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the article mentions "30 direct jobs", so I'm not going to get too giddy about jobs angle, but it's definitely a small win for an area that is starved for any good news re: job creation. Indirect jobs (trucking, waste mgnt, legal, construction, etc.) would be an interesting study though.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 68.74.9.22
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget urban biofuel crop farmers!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1629
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, regarding Zug Island... US Steel and Det Ed are both customers of mine. I'm on the island about once every month or two (thankfully for only a couple hours at a time).

I won't bore you with the detailed reasons, but a combination of security, land, and safety issues mean that the biodiesel plant would never locate on the island. Maybe down the street from the island, but not on the island.

llyn-----> zug island mutant

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1325
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news all around. I can sympathize with the argument that we don't need new heavy industry in this area (technically New Center, not Midtown) which is surrounded by residential.

However, the emissions from a bio-diesel plant are pretty benign, and it does sound somewhat research-oriented which makes it appropriate for the NextEnergy/Wayne State area. I assume this area has a lighter-industrial zoning than something like Zug Island (or even the incinerator)?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1326
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyhoo... the real question is: Will there be a bio-diesel fueling station near the site?? (Got to fill up the 5-speed TDI.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.