Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Goodbye Beacon East Theatre in Harper Woods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Closed as of September 4.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good riddance the place is a dump

Ed_golick

Post Number: 417
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me???

Chitaku

Post Number: 727
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the last few years were rough for the place. Couldn't watch a movie without a fight breaking out in the lobby and the long theaters with the small screens are painfull

Ed_golick

Post Number: 418
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only fights I've seen at the Beacon East were on the screen. If watching a movie there was so painful, maybe you should have tried sitting closer to the screen.
Only nearby options now are the Shores and the Phoenix, where fights really do break out.

Chitaku

Post Number: 728
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pheonix maybe, but the only fights at the Shores are the senior citizens fighting over the handicapped parking spots

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 164.76.189.121
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never seen any fight there, but I always thought the security was weird. Maybe that's why it was there I guess.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 730
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad St John knocked down my favorite movie place.

But now I go to the Ford-Wyoming where there are no fights, I dont care if people talk during the movie, you can bring your own food and you see 2 movies for the price of 1.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meant to say that fights break out at the Phoenix, not the Shores.

Chitaku

Post Number: 729
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my Dad tellingme he saw the Beatles Film "Help" at the Beacon East

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 68.252.2.239
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closing of the theatre isnt really helping that area commercially speaking. USually, a lot of business at the mall involve a movie theatre. That was pretty much the main reason why Universal in still open. Eastland doesnt have any movie theatres now. This will really hurt the business at this shopping mall.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 421
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice theory, but Universal Mall is deader than Eastland.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2813
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Beacon East open? I think the first movie I saw there was... Black Sunday?

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 69.222.152.146
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, another sad sign for the area of NE Detroit, Harper Woods, East Detroit and South SCS. Growing up and living in the 8 Mile & Kelly area since 1975 until 2005, I've seen the whole area decline, not just Detroit. I left SCS (9 Mile & Mack) last year and keep in touch with some of the old neighbors & hear nothing but complaints of more car thefts and home robberies. In fact two houses within a block of my old house have been broken into in the last 3 months. I know the terrible economy adds to increase of crime, but it is still disheartening to see whole communities disintergrate...knowing that the community may never return to what it once was...

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 68.43.3.234
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been going to Beaconeast my whole life, never seen any fights or had any problems there. It's sad to see it go though because it's a much better option than Shores Theatre or Star Gratiot which is too damn overpriced. On a side note, anyone else remember the $1 afternoon movies at Shores Theatre? (Back when they were playing movies a week before they were to come out on VHS or DVD.) Going to see a $1 movie then going across the street to Travis for a meal was classic.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 68.252.2.239
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont worry Golick, Eastland Mall is getting there. Most of the stores at Eastland are independently owned. Also, when the movie inside eastland closed and the food court closed, that protion of the mall rapidly died out with the exception of Foot Locker

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 09, 2006)

(Message edited by Dtown1 on September 09, 2006)

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 68.43.159.66
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder why the place looks empty when I pass by there earlier.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2772
Posted From: 4.229.81.232
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I live in St. Clair Shores (11 & Little Mack)... if anything the area has been getting better in the last 15 years, especially the retail area. The whole stretch of homes on Little Mack between north of 9 and 10 Mile Roads have been leveled for some very attractive medical office centers.

The retail stretch on Harper and Little Mack have greatly improved. No more ramshackle retail strips.

And I have seen a lot of folks buying older homes, and tearing them down for larger new homes. Also a lot of folks putting 2nd levels onto their ranch homes.

Both Little Mack and Harper have been rebuilt, with all front of business parking replaced by lawns and landscaping.

The retail areas of St. Clair Shores have NEVER looked better.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4381
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone going to post the article in the paper, yesterday, on this one? I can't seem to find it.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 487
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture of this place.
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?ID=939&typ e=5

http://news.pajamasmedia.com/e ntertainment/2006/09/08/107170 64_Where_have_all_t.shtml

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 914
Posted From: 69.242.213.101
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AH SHIT!!!! Damn I knew that wouldn't last.

We've been going to the Beacon for years...not TOO much since the renaissance opened, but it was always a great place to go see a mainline, first-run movie. Hardly anyone there and several times, on Friday, you'd be the only on in the theatre.

GO FIGURE...

Oh well...hope to GOD Renaissance stays open...though with the smaller and smaller audiences I wouldn't be surprised...

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 69.222.152.146
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I'm glad to hear your side of my grim outlook. I know the Harper project is still in its early stages, but I hope it succesful. SCS has much going for it with the Nautical Mile, and the shoreline in general. But, SCS does need to draw in younger families and not the scum that started to take residence at the Chalon Apartments. I know those are not high end apartments, but there was a lot of illegal activity going on there starting about 2 years ago. I hope the SCS PD is able to keep it under control.

Chitaku

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame, the article says the SHores Theater remodel is shelved. That place is great and is a nice alternative to the bullshit AMC theaters or MJR theaters that run this area

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1493
Posted From: 75.10.9.42
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shame here in SCS. Glorious to the residents who know that a theater any bigger can not be supported on that site. No remodel that takes the land from a school and other shops is ever a good thing. The guy who owns Big Boy tried to pressure into forcing the remodel and I am glad they stood up to them.

BTW, another reason was the influx of people from other neighborhoods(kids) causing trouble at the Shores Madrid theater made it a hot ticket item. People in the area remember what happened when the groups of kids took over Eastland Mall.

Pride in your community is something Detroit has lacked for a long time.

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.43.115.70
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well....If you could keep the bus from running north on harper from 8 mile and from running east on 8 mile, SCS would not have many break-ins or car thefts. Plus, tear down the Chalon apts. and that would be a good start.

Chitaku

Post Number: 737
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS is a safe place. I lived in a house that i still own right by the Chalon and never had one problem. The only problem was the stupid kids who are bored because the Seniors run the town and there is nothing for the kids to do. One of the reasons I moved was sheer boredom and I'm 24. The Expansion of the theater would have been something great for the community and given the buisness district on mack and 9 a great boost in buisness. I even remember watching a town hall meeting on public access with kids from one of the High Schools giving a report to the council about how they want the theater redone. It also would of been nice as one of the old theaters left in the area still showing first ran movies. South SCS is on its way to becoming identical to its inner ring suburban neighbors. I remember my whole street being for up for sale.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4975
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah well,

When the AMC Star And MJR megatheatres open the smaller theatres will dissapear. Welcome to the free capitilist.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1494
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you really think the Chalon Apartments are bad, let me direct your attention to the Englehardt Apartments. Maybe they both need to go.

As for a Resident near the theater and the school district to be effected it was a terrible plan that would have crippled that area.

And about being Bored, the grass is always greener on the otherside of the street.

SCS has been able to maintain its community by limiting industrial and commerical growth at the expense of the home owner.

As far as Seniors running the city, with the way some of the new council members are acting I fear for the future of the city.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will miss Beacon East. It makes me fell old, as I remember when they were the "new" theater in town. Also the first with rocking chair seats!

Good thing I took my daughter there a few months back to see Chronicals of Narnia, even though I didn't realise it would be my last trip there.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, are you kidding?

Harper between 11 and 12 is a disaster pothole.

Ride up Harper from 8 Mile to 13 and count the empty storefronts.

Then again, what do you expect with a bureaucratic idiot like Hison as Mayor? He thinks the people report to him.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.