Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Katie Couric is no Marilyn Turner... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 72.207.99.250
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A former Detroiter* wonders what became of his media idols...

Whatever became of Detroit TV dynamic duo, John Kelly and Marilyn Turner?

How old is Diana Lewis of Channel 7? She looked good for what I figure must be close to 70 if not there.

Anyone know if there is a website that has a summary of TV movie host Bill Kennedy? I looked Bill up on the movie website imdb.com but it didn't have much of a bio on him? What were the years of his show, around 1962 to 1980?

Does David Newman, the long time radio talk show host, ever make a public appearance or has his stroke prevented that?

I was overseas last year when I learned that radio talk show host and Ayn Rand disciple Mark Scott had died. Was their much of an obit on him in the Detroit area papers? Curious if there is a way to access obits on line or an obit website?

When I left Detroit three years ago Denny McClain was reportedly working at a 7-11 in Utica while on probation? What's he doing now? (I hope he didn't bankrupt the 7-11 the way he did the sausage factory.)

I wonder who would win in a cackling contest involving Lou Gordon and John Kelly?

* Like with Marines, there is no such thing as an "ex" Detroiter.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 925
Posted From: 68.61.65.162
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click here for a Bill Kennedy site that might answer some of your questions.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 944
Posted From: 4.229.69.213
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katie Couric is a freaky little troll. They really scraped bottom with that promotion.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1559
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This 2005 Detroit News article pegs Diana's age at 62 last year, so depending on when her birthday is, she's 63 or 64.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/me tro/0506/11/A02-211017.htm

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1161
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched last night out of curiosity. I thought the show stunk!
The piece on the Taliban was awful. Who cares what the reporter was wearing??
For one story, the intro had CK (Cute Katie) leaning /sitting against the desk. What’s up with that? Can Hillary style pant suits be next???
The viewer voice segment, or whatever its called, is an old trick and will die a painful death. Its boring as hell.
On the whole, the show lacked pace and direction. They may have gotten a 17 share last night but I predict 3's in the future.

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a hard time watching her because I focus so much on her semi-twisted mouth. She's cute and perky but the mouth just makes it hard to take her serious. It's such a distraction for me.

Psip

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cbs-75-logo.gif

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 207.230.140.240
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit she was better than I thought, but I've never liked her to begin with, so any positive comment from me is really tough.

I didn't care for the "sitting on the edge of the desk and showing off her gams" posture. Not newsy at all. I want news, but I got Entertainemnt Tonight. Yuck!

Also, what's with her head? She always looked like her head was leaning to one side. Then, when it seemed like it was really noticeable, it was like someone gestured to her to straighten out her head.

Yes, the BIG EYE will have a tear in it soon.

What DID happen to John and Marilyn? Anyone?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 7 website says John Kelly and Marilyn Turner live in Florida. That's all it says about them.

Mauser765

Post Number: 948
Posted From: 4.229.27.242
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, John and Marilyn had to move down closer to the "yo" if ya know whaddi mean.

Couric always has that damn scowl on her face, even when she smiles her eyebrows are all screwed down, like looking mean gives her journalistic credibility.

not.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1370
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just another step towards the dumbing down of the American people. We got another fluff journalist in there turning the news into entertainment. Give me real news, I am sick of learning about celebrities and what is in style for this season. It is sad that the only place I can see real news is on BBC America.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1270
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is just another step towards the dumbing down of the American people. We got another fluff journalist in there turning the news into entertainment. Give me real news, I am sick of learning about celebrities and what is in style for this season.

God, isn't that the truth.

Psip

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the NY Post:
And for the first time in history that a female was allowed to deliver a network's evening news alone, Katie chose to wear an unfortunate white blazer - the result, no doubt, of some jokester lying to her face when Katie asked, "Does this make me look fat?"

And the day after Labor Day, to boot!
http://www.nypost.com/commenta ry/she_looked_like_a_little_gi rl_who_had_to_go_potty_comment ary_andrea_peyser.htm

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't have a chance to catch CBS last night but I doubt I could have sat through Cutsie Katie trying to do a serious national broadcast.

As to the scowl, Charlie Gibson is the worst at it and, frankly, I can't stand him after he STOLE the broadcast from pregnant Elizabeth Vargas and injured in-the-line-of-duty Bob Woodruff. NBC's Brian Williams does a strange raised eyebrow routine also but he's all that's left for network national news.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1275
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

NBC's Brian Williams does a strange raised eyebrow routine also but he's all that's left for network national news.

And he has that strange faux orange glow to him too ...

BTW, Katie Couric credibility factor = 0

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 479
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time I saw her on the Today Show she was playing the role of Jim Lange on their version of the Dating Game. I just have a tough time listening to her talk about anything important. In my opinion she's a step above Mary Hart.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tasty slice of Marilyn from the Detroit Cheesecake Factory.

marilyn

Mauser765

Post Number: 952
Posted From: 4.229.69.114
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Brian Williams also has an unnervingly asymetrical face, like it was made of playdoh and it was left in the sun too long.

Forceps-atcha !

Yessssss....I'll agree with the assessment of "Charles" Gibson.

Man, dont get me started on Stone Phillips and his dramatic pause/inhale thing he does with a smack of the lips at the end - GAWD !

And is it me, or did Couric get a little botchulin toxin between the eyes ? Looks like shes got a piece of lunchmeat on her forehead. 60 MILLION DOLLARS ??? What the hell.

And NBC replaces her with Meredith Vieira ???? Whaaaaa ? Like that chick doesnt have enough jobs already - running a gameshow and she was on that asswater show "The View". Why the didnt just promote Ann Curry to that position, I will never know. I guess viewers overwhelmingly voted for Ann Curry and they ignored that.

In fact, Ann Curry would have been a far better choice than Couric for a serious night news anchor. But they arent after serious anchors, they are after demographics - thinking snotty Katy is going to bring in a young female group that just dont watch nightly news.

Dumbing down INDEED ! Absolutely god-damn right thats whats going on.

Infotainment-atcha...

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 69.209.143.253
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Meredith Viera wanted off "The View?" I'd get tired of everyone talking at the same after 9-10 years, wouldn't you? Plus, more money.

Mauser765

Post Number: 953
Posted From: 4.229.69.202
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fatkatie

Hysteria

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly a wolf in sheeps clothing. No matter what size.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 67.171.17.254
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't watch the TV news, mostly because I can't stand all the pharmaceutical ads. The listings of all the potential side effects sometimes sounds worse than the problem the drug is supposed to solve.

Is Charles Gibson the one who wrote that dumb book about how there is supposedly a war on Christmas?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian Williams coloring - I thougth it was our TV but maybe too much self tanner? Stuff seems really big this summer.

Charlie/Charles - of course he had to make his name more formal when he left the morning fluff.

Ann Curry - would have been great as was Elizabeth Vargas before "Charlie" pushed her out and insisted on a solo anchor chair.

Unfortunately, in the demographic wars, it's not the young women who normally watch national news. It's usually us middle-agers who are the target of the drug pushers and their insidious claims. (Don't get me going on that topic either...)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 289
Posted From: 66.238.170.51
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Curry would have been a perfect choice.

Although I like Katie Couric, what's the deal with her eye make-up?

Mauser765

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 4.229.69.84
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can't stand all the pharmaceutical ads"

Oh my GAWD ! ! ! That deserves its own thread. Those damn ads should be made illegal asap. Those are products which my doctor should be solicited to purchase or dispense, not me. If I have a problem, I go to the doctor - he decides what I take and why.

And I HATE how they are all in slow motion !

AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGH

Hysteria

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6608/76793.html

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6523
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You drones and your televisions...when I encounter an ad that offends me...I simply change channels.

Cycle around once to each number, then turn the damn thing OFF and wait a few months for the season collection of whatever caught my eye on DVD.

Of course, that 'cycling around' is easier with only six over-the-air channels...and that seasonal DVD ain't High Def (yet).

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 68.96.231.230
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Dick Westerkamp when you really need him?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 414
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dick

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.