Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Geocachinig In Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 68.42.162.164
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised to find little mention of geocaching (GPS-guided treasure hunts) on these forums.

It's good exercise with a thrill-of-the-hunt flavor. It's a good way to discover interesting new places in your own neighborhood.

Here are some caches in Detroit:
Detroit Caches

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2934
Posted From: 68.74.4.205
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting....

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2920
Posted From: 66.167.211.42
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More than I expected, Belle Isle is covered with caches.

Get out your Garmin's.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 968
Posted From: 65.54.154.115
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always seemed pointless to me.

Do adults play hide and seek?

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.222.64.9
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jimaz, I assume you are a geocacher? My girlfriend and I have done several caches in the D. Haven't tried the Belle Isle ones yet though. Urban caching is way different than the usual "Tupperware-in-a-park" ones. Look me up sometime on GC...JeepGPS

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2925
Posted From: 66.167.211.42
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, I don't do it, but know about it from acquaintances who do. It is more like a treasure hunt with surprising rewards. Many geocaches contain local color information about, for instance, interesting places to see, eat, drink etc. The coordinates for the geocache are placed online and the hunt is on.You can also register your finds online and build your list, kind of like birdwatchers.

Often there is a log book to sign and a memento you can take. Etiquette requires you to leave something in return.

There are also 'hitch-hikers', objects that are passed from cache to cache and often circle the globe.

For those who are into it, like business travelers with spare time in boring locations, it can enrich their experience.

See the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G eocache

It is a goodwill audience-created sharing activity, like a forum in many ways.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4302
Posted From: 71.236.229.212
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, is it true that you placed a cache for us on the 8th floor of the Michigan Central Station and on the roof of the Book-Cadillac Hotel?

What's the prize?

jjaba.

Jimaz

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, thanks for those informative links!

Yaktown, I've known of geocaching for several years but only recently had a chance to try it. The thrill of closing in on the target caught me off guard. It's like finding the box of treasures in the movie To Kill A Mockingbird.

If anyone's up for an adventure, now might be a good time to start since the the mosquitos have begun to subside. It's best to bring a partner for safety and to share the experience.

We did find a teddy bear/baby photo hitchhiker trying to get to her grandfather in Malaysia. It had already passed through Germany and Scotland. We passed it on to a cache in Ann Arbor.

I've also been using GPS with Google Earth to make some hiking trail maps for Shelby Township.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.236.209.96
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Travel Bug I picked up last year had a specific mission. It came from Arizona I think and it wanted to go to a Tigers game! So I obliged since I hadn't been to a game all season. I left my ticket stub in the Ziploc bag, along with its logbook. Last I heard, it was somewhere in Utah. I hope the owner gets it back.
As for Shelby Township, have you been to River Bends Park? There are a few caches there and the fall scenery is just beautiful. Worth going to just for the hike alone.

Jimaz

Post Number: 588
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown, great story. Yes, I just recently delivered a map of the River Bends Shadbush trails to Dan Farmer at the nature center there. He's a bit concerned about geocachers trampling off the trails but I think I persuaded him that we're a conscientious group. Cache in, trash out!

I now have the old RURA eastern trail all plotted in Google Earth. I'll hunt the caches there soon. Fall scenery, yeah, it gets to me too. <sniff>

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.