Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Macy Fields Signage « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 915
Posted From: 4.229.93.228
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Now you see it...(west elevation)

Text description

Now you dont. (east elevation)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5801
Posted From: 24.57.57.12
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland?

Hudson's-atcha!

Kpalonis
Username: Kpalonis

Post Number: 346
Posted From: 207.148.205.178
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i miss hudsons. whenever i talk about that place (i refuse to use the new names) i call it hudsons...and people are like "there's a hudsons around still?"

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LONG LIVE HUDSON'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 68.252.71.71
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only been in Hudson two or three times before they began to become cheap. They were higher thhan a spaceship on the moon! My mother goes there now to get her perfume. She loves their perfume so much, she has about 10 cases in her cabinet, half not even used. Then she goes back to get more.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 31, 2006)

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 65.92.153.250
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame all these names are gone.

Of course many critics do point to the fact that if these places were so special to the majority, then they would still be around today.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1249
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federated can't even get the flagship store right:

Macy's shows lack of street sense regarding landmark Field's store

CHICAGO) Signs of Macy's approaching takeover of Marshall Field's on State Street are everywhere. Trouble is, some of them are the wrong signs.

New backlighted directional signs posted throughout the store near escalator banks make it clear that the new owner of Field's doesn't spend much time in Chicago.

The New York department store chain mistakenly labeled Wabash Avenue as "Wabash Street," Randolph Street as "Randolph Avenue" and Washington Street as "Washington Avenue."

The gaffe is striking, given that all Macy's signmakers had to do was to look above the doors on the first floor of the Field's flagship to locate the correct names, inscribed decades ago to help navigate the blockwide store.

Transplanted New Yorker Mike Doyle spotted the snafu walking through the store Wednesday morning and posted it on his Chicago Carless blog that afternoon.

"While that's not a critical faux pas, it's certainly embarrassing and not the best way to try to prove to Chicago locals that the Gotham retailer is taking its move to State Street seriously," Doyle wrote on his blog.

The Field's chain, including the State Street store, officially becomes Macy's on Sept. 9.

Macy's North spokeswoman Jennifer McNamara was unaware of the error when first contacted by the Chicago Tribune. After looking into the matter, she said: "We are addressing the signage. They will be pulled down, and we will be replacing those. Our plan is to get those up as soon as possible."

Macy's isn't the only organization to temporarily lose its way. The Chicago Transit Authority is spending $75,000 to reprint 3,000 maps on its trains after incorrect street names and a wrong phone number were discovered.

And in 2001, when Boeing Co. touted its headquarters move to Chicago with full-page newspaper ads, it inadvertently flipped the photo negative so the John Hancock Center was on the west side of North Michigan Avenue.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ business/chi-0608310150aug31,1 ,2492347.story?coll=chi-news-h ed

Hysteria

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked this one in yesterday's Chicago Tribune:

Macy's star dims in suburb
Chain's traditional symbol must be toned down on store it takes over in Lake Forest

LAKE FOREST) The old money community that spurned a Costco store because it was afraid it might hurt its character, is mandating that Macy's dim its trademark bright red star when it takes over the historic Marshall Field's store in this North Shore suburb next month.

At the urging of its preservationists, the city-appointed Lake Forest Historic Preservation Commission approved last week a toned-down version of Macy's traditional logo on the outside of the 90-year-old Field's building anchoring the Market Square shopping court in the East Lake Forest historic district.

No tomato red star here. And no electric-powered letters that glow in the night. Oh, and the Field's signature green awnings must stay.

While Macy's owner Federated Department Stores Inc. has found few problems in other markets when it began mothballing longtime regional department store names to brand Macy's nationwide, the Chicago area isn't taking to change quite as quietly.

Field's fans have denounced the name change on Web sites while Federated has to keep the Field's nameplates and the famous clocks on the historic flagship State Street store, among other restrictions.

At the Lake Forest store the retailer is allowed to install a discreet bronze Macy's sign with raised polished letters on a dark background above the transom window at the store's entrance. The sign is less than a foot tall and about five feet long, not much bigger than the two existing, and prominent, "Marshall Field & Company" bronze plaques that must remain on the columns flanking the entryway.

The decision ends months of discussions over how to handle signage at the historic store as Federated converts the roughly 400 regional department stores around the nation, including Marshall Field's, on Sept. 9.

"It's a lot more subdued and in keeping with Market Square," said Virginia Munson, a member of the Lake Forest Historic Preservation Commission.

The broad-shouldered building with two-story Tuscan columns was designed by noted Chicago architect Howard Van Doren Shaw in 1916, housing the First National Bank, two utility companies and the YWCA.

Shaw was among the famous arts-and-craft style architects of the turn of the century, the widely influential English movement that attempted to re-establish the skills of craftsmanship threatened by mass production and industrialization. He designed many North Shore mansions, and Market Square is considered his masterpiece.

Field's took over the building at 682 Bank Lane in 1931, establishing the retailer's first branch store outside of its flagship on State Street in Chicago. Similar stores in suburban Evanston and Oak Park were built shortly after the Lake Forest store opened, but closed years ago. The Lake Forest store, with 61,000 square feet, remains the smallest outpost in Field's 61-store chain."We are working closely with the Lake Forest Preservation [Commission] to obtain the permits necessary to rebrand the exterior of our store to Macy's in Lake Forest," said Jennifer McNamara, a spokeswoman for Macy's North in Minneapolis. "Our plan is to replace the Marshall Field's sign on the store's exterior with a brass Macy's sign that is unique to our Lake Forest store."

The new Macy's sign is three-quarters smaller than the scripted Marshall Field's moniker that has adorned the store for decades. Macy's is required to keep the store's awnings dark green instead of Macy's black. And it must limit the inscription of the Macy's name to only two of the four awnings.

As for the famous red star, Macy's is permitted to use the star (as long as it's not red) on the bronze plaque, but not the awnings. Macy's typically puts its star before its name and uses a small star in lieu of an apostrophe. It must rely on a traditional apostrophe on the awnings, the city ordered.

The compromise placated the preservationists, who originally opposed any star.

"The sign has been so reduced in size that I think it needs a star," said Guy Berg, another commissioner.

Federated, with headquarters in New York and Cincinnati, hired Columbia, S.C.-based Image Resource Group Inc. to produce the Lake Forest signs, and many of the signs going up on stores nationwide. Most of the stores slated for conversion already have the lower case black Macy's letters, complete with its red star logo, on the buildings' exteriors, hidden under banners that read Marshall Field's until the Sept. 9 unveiling.

"Historically the city has taken the philosophy with respect to signage that it should provide direction rather than advertising purposes," said Peter Coutant, senior planner for Lake Forest. "This was really an opportunity to look at that sign and determine what was appropriate for the historic integrity of that building."

The leafy suburb put up a fight last year when Costco Wholesale Corp., the upscale warehouse club from Washington, attempted to build a store on the West Side of town.

Sign or no sign, some residents remain unhappy about the Macy's takeover.

Sally Spoehr, 75, a former Lake Bluff resident who moved to St. Augustine, Fla., said she stops at Marshall Field's in Lake Forest every year during her annual visit.

"When you came here the salesladies became your best friends," said Spoehr, who worked at the nearby library 20 years. "This store definitely has a lot of meaning."

"I would much rather I never saw Macy's," said Leslie Schwarzbach, 51, a Chicago native who has lived in Lake Forest nine years. She worked in a Marshall Field's stockroom at age 16, and carried her first credit card with Field's, she said.

"They sent me a Macy's card," Schwarzbach sniffed. "I don't think I'll be using it."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ business/chi-0608300162aug30,1 ,3016636.story

Detroitej72

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRING BACK HUDSON'S!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure the heir's of J.L. could afford to buy the name back.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 599
Posted From: 35.12.22.187
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto wrote, "many critics do point to the fact that if these places were so special to the majority, then they would still be around."

Plenty of people shopped at Hudson's; lack of shoppers wasn't why it was re-named Marshall Field's. It was re-named to achieve cost savings and efficiency-- to make more money on top of what was already made.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long live corporate America. Where all that matters is "how much money did we make this quater?"

Death to mom and pop's business.

detroitej72... Proud of His parents!

Hysteria

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo to stupid corporate decisions - I hope the Field's name change backfires for Federated!

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 24.188.92.110
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the stores in Metro-Detroit that still have dining rooms, will they still be called "The JL Hudson Cafe" ??

and............is the Maurice Salad dressing still being sold??

Ken

Hysteria

Post Number: 1259
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe so.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But they've aleady deep-sixed the shrimp salad sandwich on toasted cheese bread which was my mom's favorite and later my own. On my birthday five and a half years ago, I was off on the day and treated myself to shrimp salad to honor mom. (Even took a small box of the crappy crayons they used to give me in the days when dessert was a Mickey Mouse sundae. Mom died three days later so the crayons became a souvenir of a nicer time.) I had the day off on my last birthday and was going to repeat the treat but they no longer have the sandwich.

Ah well, I make my own cheese bread now and there's nothing difficult about making shrimp salad.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm, I know Macy's released a Marshall Field's Cookbook this summer with recipes for some of their most popular menu items. I don't know how many of those are/were Hudson's or Dayton's recipes, though.
:-)

Mtm

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Hysteria. I found the cheese bread recipe even before Hudson's stopped making the sandwiches. Hudson's used to sell the bread in their "bakery" but I doubt the recipe for the bread, itself, would have been included in the cookbook.

Hate to admit that I was never a Marshall Field's fan because I'm not crazy about Chicago (always felt like Detroit was considered a poor cousin). Buying a Macy's book of "Marshall Field's" recipes to get Hudson's shrimp salad sandwich just doesn't sit right with me...

Hysteria

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1926
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for a Dayton's tradition, will they still be making Frango mints? You can't just tack "Macy's" on the front of these things to "re-brand" it.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frango's are a Marshall Field's tradition. I think they're still making them but I don't know what the packaging will look like.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1929
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, got that one mixed up. I knew the Macy's thing caused some sort of problem.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 146.9.16.41
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the articles recently linked here confirms that the Frango Mints will remain. If you google the term, Macy's has the first sponsored link.

Mossman
Username: Mossman

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to call it the J.L. Marshall MayDay store. When I make a purchase with my old Hudson's card, I wipe a tear from my eye.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1824
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a life. It is a store.

Do you know how many mom and pop auto makers and parts suppliers Ford put out of business or purchased renamed or brought in house throughout its history?

We weep not for them.

(Message edited by dabirch on September 01, 2006)

Mossman

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boo-hoo! The difference is that JLH was an icon of Detroit and had a national reputation for quality and service. Families went to the store to shop, eat and amuse themselves with a day's activities. It was Detroit compacted into one building. Plenty of people have the right to lament its demise.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1826
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.L. Hudson's merged with Dayton's in 1969!

The downtown store closed in the 80's.

Hudson's changed its name the Marshall Field's in 2000.

We all have had plenty of time to lament.

Get over it.

Mtm

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.43.29.171
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yes, we do weep for the lost Mom & Pop's. I dearly remember Sunny Day Market from the corner of Eldridge and Carpenter that later became Mr. Rich's (who was an incredibly sweet man). I also mourn Harry's at the corner or Commor and Fenelon which had the BEST home-made pistachio ice cream back in the days of penny candy. Then, there's Fredro Market, on the corner of Fredro and Fenelon which had the best fresh kielbasa in the city for years - voted by Freep and News I believe. I think Boss's "party store" is still on Fenelon and Casmir(?) but I doubt they still sell "frozen Lindies" for $.02.

It was great to walk to a corner grocery where folks really DID know you (and god forbid if you misbehaved because your parents were in every other day.) I sometimes wish that they still existed so my Dad could get stuff without driving.

Mossman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dabirch-
Don't you understand? So many folks have had to "get over" the loss of so many amenities in this town that they feel that there is nothing left to keep them here ... so they leave. About a million of them did it and never looked back.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3688
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabrich, I completely understand that change happens but when change for the sake of change and not much really improves the service, why do it? I think part of the lament here is that in this era of corporate homogenization (my big word for the day) is that the corporate big wigs lose touch with the people of the region. I don't think it would have been that difficult for Macy's to have left Marshall Fields & Hudsons be. It's just a better PR move on their part to serve the public. Look at how many corporate giants in the sea of takeovers leave some of their acquisitions alone with their own core identity and let them thrive on their own.

People for generations in this town have associated Hudsons as being one of their own institutions. Same with the Chicago connection to their store. Changing the name on the storefront without really changing the services they offer really doesn't do much for any of their traditional client base. And does the Macy's name really ring of any improvement to the people in either Chicago or Detroit?? Trust is earned and not easily granted.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 71.34.65.194
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get over it. I'm not buying Hudson's, I'm buying a damn shirt.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1743
Posted From: 4.229.132.88
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who sez there was no lamenting all the auto related co's that have gone by the wayside Dabirch? That lamenting was done long long ago when it happened.This is happening now.

Chicagoans have not had to experience anywhere near the degree Detroiters have of their city dissolving and businesses evaporating_ old stuff now to Detroiters.

Never should there be a dismissing of people's sentiment about Hudson's or Macy's or Fields changing dissapearing/closing.These things obviously have great impact on people.Having said that I don't know why this thread is so long.The only store I felt any kin to was Hudsons.Hudsons is gone.All you Chicagoans lamenting Fields.......we emphasize and we sympathize....we have been there.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 207.61.38.86
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should be worried about this. Everything is the same now. We have companies who are controlling everything and basically making our entire culture one.

We should be worried. We are losing history, culture, variety, etc.

That being said, the name change in Detroit does not mean much, as teh grand daddy of the stores(the downtown store) is not there anymore. Once the downtown store is gone, it really does not matter what name is on the suburban stores, as those stores don't mean as much as the downtown store did.

But it is a shame. MF use to have some great MF brand labels, that I can no longer get anymore since MACY'S took over.

As for the FRANGO, Macy's is going to bring back production of those chocolates to the State Street Store.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4046
Posted From: 70.236.174.188
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who often refers to what is now Macy's as Hudson’s in informal conversation, the never-ending gnashing of teeth of the "re-branding" of Hudson's and Marshall Fields is getting tired. Personally, I've always thought these companies would do well to embrace their stores heritages. J.L. Hudson's: A Macy's Brand has a nice ring to it but it isn't going to happen not in the near future anyway.

And Dabirch is right, downtown Hudson's has been closed a generation. Perhaps if people endlessly reminiscing about those good old days had shopped at the downtown Hudson more instead of making B-line to Northland, Eastland, etc that store under one name or another might still be there. And anyways, Dayton-Hudson's has been a Minnesota based firm since the 1960's. You want to blame someone for the loss of the Hudson's brand, blame the Hudsons themselves.

As a consumer, I suppose there are two real concerns. First the continued sponsorship of the Fireworks and Thanksgiving Parade. However, Target seems more than happy to take up the fireworks and I think Macy's will continue the parade sponsorship or maybe it's Target as well. Either way Santa is coming down Woodward in a couple months. Number two, would be a continued level of service in their Detroit stores. I haven't been to one since late January but everything at the Eastland store seemec A-OK then.

As for the "everything is the same now" argument. Yes, everything is too often "the same" and we have nobody to blame for this but ourselves. Rich or poor, black or white, urban, suburban, or rural, we all love chains. And this is the consequence of that love. Even here in Detroit where we all (pretty much everyone on this board anyway) worships at the altar of "mom and pop" and "ground floor retail" this is the case. That's why some of you avoid the small-time food vendors at Eastern Market for the convenience of Meijers or why Beans and Bytes is slowly plugging along (and Cafe de Troit and Brown Bean had to close up) while the new Starbucks at the corner of Woodward and MLK is looking rather busy.

Bitch and moan about the loss of the Hudson's brand all you want, but we have no one to blame but ourselves. Whining about it won't change things. Nor will a half-dozen earnestly-written letters to Macy’s corporate offices.

(Message edited by jelk on September 02, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2744
Posted From: 4.229.72.241
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, uncharacteristically, I have to agree with you 100%!

Miketoronto, well stated and that comment about "us losing our history, culture, variety, etc...". That lament is not only about we Americans giving up our identity to Madison Avenue...

But also it shows how much the rest of the world feels about this same scenario... Young folks in 2nd and 3rd world countries are taking up with American fashion and culture, much to the dismay of their countrymen.

This is one of the very things that gets the Islamic extremists in an uproar.

Gman29
Username: Gman29

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.74.2.87
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bitch & moan all you want about the Hudson brand off these stores and the only one to blame is the Hudson family for selling out.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 24.180.71.146
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from a year and a half ago, when it was first announced that all of federated's stores would go to the macy's name.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Once we knew our cities by their stores

Hudson and Marshall Field's used to set regional tastes and standards, but Federated's purchase of May Department Stores reflects the end of that era

By Thomas Hine

In 1837, when Rowland H. Macy, a 15-year-old Nantucketer, went to sea in a whaling ship, he had a star tattooed on his hand. Twenty years later, when he opened a store in New York, he used that star as his trademark. The symbol endures to this day, most prominently to stand in for an apostrophe in the Macy's logo.

Now that logo is becoming ever more ubiquitous. On Monday, Federated Department Stores, which operates Macy's, expected to have completed rebranding most of the chains it owns, obliterating great retail names like Rich's in Atlanta and Burdines in Florida -- shopping emporiums that long set the style and even the standards for their respective regions.

And once the merger, announced Feb. 28, of Federated with May Department Stores is completed, it's likely that still more names -- Hecht's in Washington, Filene's in Boston, Marshall Field's in Chicago, Kaufmann's in Pittsburgh and Famous-Barr in St. Louis -- will disappear in favor of Macy's.

The survival of the Macy's star is but a dim reminder of the role played for generations by a constellation of retail innovators and civic entrepreneurs (like Hudson in Detroit). The regional stores offered a vision, usually the one held by their proprietor, of the character and the future of their cities. Now we are moving closer to the day when every city and every mall offers the same goods and the same experience.

National retail chains are nothing new, of course, but it is, nevertheless, shocking to contemplate the mass disappearance of so many of the names that once defined their cities as powerfully as did their baseball teams, their skylines or their daily newspapers (which were filled with department store ads). For decades, the cities' flagship stores sponsored parades, mounted exhibitions, hosted concerts, staged festivals, offered meeting places for community organizations, and were an organizing element of urban life.

Marshall Field's, for example, used to change its show windows once a week, always at the same time, and early in the 20th century Chicagoans would gather on the street for their unveiling, a grand spectacle accessible to all.

The stores' proprietors were invariably among the most powerful people in town. The merchant was also viewed as the tastemaker and standard-setter for the store's merchandise. The name that shoppers trusted wasn't the one on the label but the one on the front door.

The distinctiveness of the regional chains has waned since the 1980s, after family owners cashed out their shares to publicly owned companies, which then engaged in mergers that proved financially crippling.

For about 125 years, beginning around 1850, regional department stores were more than places to get stuff; they were places to meet, places to go, places in which to define your aspirations and to learn how to behave. Many decades before anyone uttered the word "lifestyle," department stores offered their goods within a context of social mobility and modern living.

Department stores were an essential component of the development of the big industrial city, but they were its soft side: colorful, sensual, fragrant and welcoming to women both as customers and as employees.

A.T. Stewart, who opened what is generally considered the first U.S. department store in New York in 1846, saw shopping as a public event, a civic energizer, helped along by organ music playing throughout the store. Wanamaker, who eventually bought Stewart's New York store, extended his predecessor's flair for public spectacle into the realm of civic ritual. At Christmastime, he made his stores into nondenominational cathedrals, Gothic-trimmed places where the entire community came to celebrate a holiday that few mid-19th-century American churches emphasized.

Nearly all the pioneering retailers understood that their stores played a role in assimilating immigrants and offering an image of a common middle-class life. The stores often pretended to be exclusive, but their survival depended on their ability to turn everyone into shoppers.

Today's shoppers don't look to the current incarnations of these stores for ideas or instruction about how to live or what to buy. They are bombarded with information and opinions about possible purchases on television and on the Internet. Rather than go to big regional stores with something for everyone, we can shop at less demanding branches of national chains that offer products for people like us. We can go to outlet malls and try to find a brand name item at a deep discount from department store prices. Or we can stay at home, pick and click.

Still, there are a handful of large stores that offer good service and distinctive merchandise and stand out from the pack. Nordstrom's, near the top of the market, and Target, near the bottom, each has projected its own style and profited as a result.

Despite the hype and the bewildering array of choices we face, some of the excitement has gone out of shopping. If there was one thing that the great regional retailers understood, it was how to make ordinary shopping into a special occasion.

edit: the above was from the detroit news, and is shortened from the full version, available at the following link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A9092-2005Mar5?language=printer

(Message edited by scottr on September 03, 2006)

Miketoronto

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 65.92.148.5
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That last paragraph is so true.

Today shopping is thought of as a chore.
When I was in high-school and college I worked retail.
I had the chance to not only work in suburban malls, but also a downtown flagship department store.

I always noticed the difference in the mall shoppers compared to the downtown shoppers. The mall shoppers where pretty stressed, etc. The downtown shoppers seemed more calm and happy. I don't know if it had to do with in the mall you are crammed in with people in covered hallways, while downtown you are on the open street.
But I did notice that.

We have turned everything into a chore.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GEORGEA KOVANIS: Macy's, replacing Field's, introduces itself to Detroit

Price scanners are in place, and shopping carts are appearing -- about 10 carts each are being phased in at the Oakland Mall, Somerset and Lakeside Macy's locations because those are among the chain's larger stores in the state. (You'll be able to find the shopping carts in the kids' and housewares departments.)

And while both these things are no doubt helpful, somehow they make me feel like I'm shopping at Target or Meijer -- stores I like -- and not Hudson's or Marshall Field's or, well, Macy's, places I've bought wedding China and outfits for newborns and pearl earrings for my sister.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060903/FEA TURES01/609030529/1025

Shopping carts?

Burnsie

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 35.12.23.154
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Marshall Field's State St. store yesterday, and all the exterior MF plaques are still in place. I wonder if they'll all be taken down just before the big name changover on the 9th? Those things don't look easy to remove.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 65.92.152.59
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those plaques from what I heard will not be removed.
Under heritage bylaws, MACY'S can not remove them, so they will stay.

The same happened here in Toronto when Hudson's Bay bought out the Robert Simpson Company store downtown. Because it is a heritage structure, they could not remove the ROBERT SIMPSON logos from the store.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 65.92.152.59
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those plaques will stay, as the store is a national historical landmark. No matter what the MARSHALL FIELD AND COMPANY name will still be on that building :-)

That also happened here in Toronto when Hudson's Bay took over the Robert Simpson Store in downtown Toronto. They were not allowed to remove the ROBERT SIMPSON logos from the building. They are still there.

Burnsie

Post Number: 604
Posted From: 35.12.23.106
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that one of the old Hudson's plaques was on display at the Dayton-Hudson archives/museum. I wonder what happened to the rest of them. Most if not all were replaced in the '60s with new ones that had the revised logotype.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 70.53.97.154
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto--I noticed that the decorative grillwork on the former Simpson's on Ste. Catherine Street in Montreal also remains in place with it's stylized RSS logo. That store has been nicely reborn thanks to the Simons chain in Quebec, though the store certainly doesn't occupy the space the Simpson's store did.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 67.171.17.254
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the record: Frangos are originally from Seattle. Frederick & Nelson Department store started making them and when Frederick's was sold to Marshall Field in the 1920's, Marshall Fields started selling them.

When F&N was sold by Marshall Field, they retained the rights to Frangos, so you could still buy them at both Marshall Fields and the remaining Frederick & Nelsons. When F&N went out of business in 1992, they made an arrangement with Seattle's Bon Marche (which was owned by Federated - Macy's parent company) so that Frangos could still be available in the Northwest. Now that the Bon Marche is Macy's, they will be able to sell Frango just about everywhere.

Don't get me started on the whole Bon Marche/Macy's thing. Bon Marche sounded classy. Macy's sounds like a tarted-up Sears

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 217.232.70.41
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed no one really took affront with the post from Jelk and his rightfully accurate justification of why "Mom & Pop" stores are closing and chains (Wall Street) are taking over. The truth hurts. Yes ,Hudsons is gone and for quite some time now and Marshall Fields will be missed but as long as the majority of people (shopppers) continue to place little value in supporting local establishment(yes- cost somewhat more - but do we really need the same 5 sweaters in different colors instead of 2 good quality??) - generic downtowns and shopping will prevail.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.41.116.2
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good, we don't need shopping carts at fairlane...to many homeless ppl would steal them anyway...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.