Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tell Me About Brighton « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1088
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that is correct. Long time GF is finishing her final 3 months of grad school clinical in Ann Arbor (thank god!), and is living with a friend in a Brighton apartment.

I will be out at the end of september and will likely have to blow a day or two in town. The thing is the closest I've ever been to Brighton is driving by on 96 on my way to the west side.

I don't need anything fancy, and the place looks like its a pretty small town, but if you've got any nice little places to eat, see, spend time, waste a day, I'd like to hear them.

I appreciate it!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 68.248.88.222
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging MCM.

Brighton is a boomtown. Not diverse at all. More big box retail than you could care to imagine and just about every chain restaurant known to mankind. Nothing special about the place at all.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4301
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just described the whole of Livingston County, Mind field. It's an agricultural county that has quickly become an entire, giant commuter suburb for Metro Detroit with no true center to speak of. There is not one city in this entire county with a population over 15,000 in a county of nearly 200,000 people. It's small towns and sprawl. That's it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 4.229.102.158
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do have some non-chains in their old section of town but I don't know the names, just have seen them while driving down Grand River.

Pam

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome- you guys could go to Kensington park, it is not too far away.

http://www.metroparks.com/park s/pk_kensington.php

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 762
Posted From: 69.209.153.26
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a Cracker Barrel there :-)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 763
Posted From: 69.209.153.26
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a more serious note, Island Lake is "next door" to Kensington. I have some friends that kayak between the two parks.

http://www.michigandnr.com/par ksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo .aspx?id=462

(Love Kensington, but have never been to Island Lake)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things to do in Brighton:
Walk along the Mill Pond (It won't take you very long but it's a pleasant walk). Visit parks mentioned above. Ummmm... A couple of bars worth visiting are Lu & Carls and Stout for the younger crowd. Champs if you want to see an old townie place. There's a MJR multiplex on the north side of town behind Target. Roundabouts are also plentiful in the area. There are three brand spanking new ones at the Lee Road exit on U.S. 23 and on the edge of downtown on Main Street.

Besides that, it's a great place to take a nap. The sprawl characterization is pretty accurate.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 141.217.44.37
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allright Mindfield,
Take it easy. Brighton may not be the diverse Urban Utopia that is Detroit, but that does not mean it doesn't have anything special to offer.

Ever hear ignorant people saying things about Detroit? That is kind of how you sound right now.

Brighton has a lot to offer if you are into nature. Island Lake State PArk, Kensington Metro Park, Brighton Recreation Area, and countless others provide great opportunities to Mountian Bike, Kayak, hike, fish, camp, and anything else outside.

Get your hair cut at Mr. Ed's downtown. Have a Beer at Stout. Brighton Bar and Grill is a great place to sit outside.

I would also venture a guess that there are more independant restaraunts than chains in Brighton.

Mind_field

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 68.21.33.231
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nature IS my thing, but I'm sorry I just don't see what makes Brighton a community with character....to me it is like a small version of Livonia....except it's in the exburbs. I never stated anything about the amount of independent restaurants or bars as I'm sure there are some. But you have to admit there are A LOT of chains in Btown. Target, Borders, MJR, Kmart, Meijers, Kohls, etc. and all the usual chain restaurants. There is Mt. Brighton for skiing. Brighton is safe, wealthy, clean, and growing....but so are countless other Michigan exburbs...what really distinguishes Brighton? You can mountain bike, kayak, fish, hike and camp anywhere.....what makes Brighton so special? It's a nice community, just boring and cookie cutterish.

Pam

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

....to me it is like a small version of Livonia....

Well they do have an old downtown area which Livonia does not.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brighton has a decent coffee shop called Java-Roasters. One of the few places in the metro Detroit area that roasts their own coffee beans on location.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1217
Posted From: 35.11.212.197
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81,

email me at nickq9488 at yahoo dot com.

I have livied in Brighton for about 12 years, and know all the ins and outs.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way, i was not expecting this when i opened the thread... i was thinking that like the guys at HFD, it was your turn to bash MCM again... :-)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1243
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha ... so was I.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said that there is nothing special about the place at all. I argued that there is something special.

At the house of my Family I am less than 1 mile away from the 4,500 acre Kensington Metropark. Even closer to the 4,000 acre state park. That is a total of 8,500 acres of beautiful outdoor excitement and relaxation within 1 mile.

To put this in perspective Belle Isle is 983 acres.

Sounds pretty special to me. Are there many places in Livonia that are like this? How about Troy?

My family is also within two miles of all of the shopping that I could ever need. From the Independent hardware stores to the chain book stores, there is a family owned butcher shop right near my house. I can find ANYTHING that I need and return to my large wooded lot in no time.

Brighton has a downtown, with family owned businesses, a weekend nightlife that draws people from around Livingston County.

Sure the city has been sprawling for sometime now. Not my cup of tea. But I can understand why people want to live here.

And it has plenty of character, step into the Cozy inn on Grand River if you want Character.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 350
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can mountain bike, kayak, fish, hike and camp anywhere.....what makes Brighton so special? "

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. The area surrounding Brighton has some of the best mountain biking trails around. Brighton Recreation Area, Island Lake, Kengsington and other nearby parks offer a ton of recreational activities that are not available in ANY of the inner ring suburbs or Detroit.

Jerome81 if you're into outdoor activities I'd suggest hitting the trails at Island Lake (Either by foot or on bike) and checking out Kensington. There's also a very nice rifle/sporting clays range at Island Lake as well. If the outdoors isn't your thing you can pick up some drinks at Stout or Lou and Carl's (Same owner). They are both great bars but IMO the food is less that stellar. There's also a little coney place across from there (And I mean little) I think it's "Coney Joe's??? There are a ton of other restaurants up and down Grand River (Both chain and independent) EG Nick's is pretty good and is just east of town. If you run out of things to do around Brighton you could always ride along with your GF and spend the day in AA.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on August 30, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2904
Posted From: 66.167.211.42
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brighton's greatest blessing is that it sits amid stunningly beautiful and rugged landscape. You can see frm here -> http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&q=brighton,+mi&ie=UTF8 &z=12&om=1&iwloc=A that there are about 100 lakes within a eight mile radius. It is also wrapped around forest parkland, the best parks, IMO, in the entire metropolitan system - Kensington and nearby Pinckney are spectacular. These are the best of the SE Michigan 'Mountains'.

Old Brighton is now just another urban-sprawled village. Holly is very similar, set amid beauty but changed forever in a generation.

Brighton is also smack in the middle of the Detroit-Jackson-Lansing-Flint quadrangle and sits next to the 23 and 96 interchange giving easy access to jobs in all directions.

A mini-interopolis is deveoping on the old Grand River axis -- Brighton-Howell-Fowlerville -- where a new main street of malls has spread.

Brighton will continue to boom. Sad for urban policy, but a reality.

Mind_field

Post Number: 616
Posted From: 68.21.33.231
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wmuchris, you sound like you are trying to sell real estate in Brighton and you are also being a major homer. Milford is basically "East Brighton". So I would argue that Brighton is not incredibly special. South Lyon could be "South Brighton" They are all not diverse, wealthy, quiet, very close to Kensington which is a very nice park, although very crowded at times, and have many many shopping options in quaint downtowns. Rochester is just a larger version of Brighton. It's proximity to Stony Creek MP for outdoor recreation and it's downtown....etc. My point is Brighton is really not that unique. sure it's a nice town and appeals to many people and has a lot of good qualities. Each little town like Milford, Brighton, Howell, and South Lyon has a little something that makes it a little unique, but the basic premise is the same.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many places have ski hills though?

BTW my mom sells real-estate in Brighton. :-)

Kgrimmwsu
Username: Kgrimmwsu

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 69.51.154.37
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Pinckney my entire life and have been amazed at the growth of Brighton and Livingston county. The new Green Oak lifestyle center is under construction and hopefully some decent retail will into there.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at living in Brighton and was very disappointed in the pattern of development there. I tried to purchase and move a historic 1860's home (The Maltby family who lived there was one of the founding families of Brighton). The house was in beautiful shape and they offered it to me for a dollar. I had to move it off the land because they wanted to expand the Huron Meadows Metropark golf course. The house had been fully renovated and brought up to code. I just needed to purchase land to move it to. There was land for sale everywhere, even 11 lots directly across the street. I could not buy land and the house was eventually torn down. The lots and all land in the area was for subdivision development only. I begged them to sell me a lot (it wasn't like they were welling like hotcakes anyway). They would not. I cannot go to Brighton because I just get sick thinking about seeing the hole where the house used to stand. Brighton can keep its cookie cutter subdivisions as far as I am concerned.

P.S. Eventually my brother moved a house in Grosse Ile (http://www.coldjensens.com) so I am at least living vicariously through him.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 886
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mind_field - people like you are a big part of the problem in this region. not everyone is required/or desires to live in an "urban environment." there are a hell of a lot of places way worse off than brighton, so why do you have to be so condescending? sure, the area is filled with big-box sprawl, but as johhny5 mentioned, it's in the middle of several great parks, lakes, skiing/snowboarding, and some of the best mountain biking in the midwest. instead of complaining about what we don't have here, people need to start looking at the region as a whole, and realizing that we do, in fact, have many of the ammenities that make for a great quality of life.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

instead of complaining about what we don't have here, people need to start looking at the region as a whole, and realizing that we do, in fact, have many of the ammenities that make for a great quality of life.

Amen, Jfried - Amen

Pam

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nain, that sucks. I am surprised they weren't interested in saving the house since other suburbs with even more development have saved historic buildings. (Farmington Hills and Novi are two that come to mind.)

Johnnny5

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nainrouge was it the developers who refused to sell the land or a city ordinance issue?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The developers refused to sell. I was even told "we don't want no old buildings here". I did find a piece of property that was much further away that I was not able to use because of ordinances - the set back was not big enough. I could have asked for a variance, but I did not have the time. The wrecking ball got there first.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 71.244.175.105
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just off 23 about 10 miles north of Brighton is Parshallville. It's got an old gristmill converted into a cider mill and is on a beautiful location beside a pretty little river. Nice place to eat a lunch and read a book for a few hours.
dave

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2728
Posted From: 4.229.105.120
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of beatiful rolling hills in the Brighton area... unlike "flat as a pancake" Detroit, Wayne County and Macomb County (where I live).

So I think that folks who live there do get some enjoyment out of the natural rolling landscape, and not the same old boring flatness that most of us in the city and inner ring suburbs have to endure...

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 68.40.171.54
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stillwater Grill. It is on Grand River just west of downtown Brighton. I highly recommend this very nice and attractive restaurant.

Brighton State Recreation area or Kensington Metropark for a nice walk in the woods.

http://www.michigandnr.com/par ksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo .aspx?id=438
http://www.metroparks.com/park s/pk_kensington.php
http://www.stillwatergrill.com /

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 305
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jackal is a pretty solid golf course.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2776
Posted From: 68.73.196.174
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KKK (as well as Howell).

Enough said.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god Ltorivia. I knew when I saw you as the last poster that something plain ignorant and off-base was going to come out of your mouth.

You have no idea what you are talking about. None.
So keep your mouth shut. Forever.

Enough said.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 717
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother, who grew up in Harper Woods, used to go on family vacations in Brighton, take 8 mile all the way... Now people commute from Brighton. Crazyness...

Oh, and Ltorivia485 is right, Howell actually is the official seat of the KKK in Michigan. Sorry, Wmuchris.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howell is not the official seat of the KKK in Michigan. A former leader of the KKK used to have a farm in a small town north of Howell. He no longer lives there and as far as I have heard there is no longer any significant KKK activity in the area, but I did hear a rumor that if you stop at a red light in Detroit you will be murdered.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 141.217.153.190
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnny 5. Well said.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 12.108.190.1
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my dream:

We have BOTH prosperous suburban towns (not sprawl) like Brighton, Birmingham, Northville AND a wonderful successful central city. The two support each other!

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 719
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. I stand corrected. But people sure do love to defend Brighton and Howell in this thread.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 395
Posted From: 141.217.44.112
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like people defend detroit when someone speaks about it in broad generalizations.

I'm not trying to go after Mind_Feild because I think that he is a decent guy. But saying about Brighton that "there is nothing special about the place" Would be analagous to me saying "there is nothing nice about Detroit." Or that Detroit is a teeming ghetto just like Camden NJ and Gary Indiana.

And you know what? Everyone on Detroit Yeah Yeah would jump down my throat if I said that.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said anything bad about Brighton or Howell, just that I heard that it was/is the seat of KKK in MI. I was wrong. Sorry I'm not up on the latest happenings in the racial bigotry scene.

Brighton, does obviously have lots of recreational/outdoors stuff, but it really is inundated with sprawl. I'd suggest a nice picnic at Kensington.

Pam

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 4.229.81.135
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick your own apples place, not far from Kensington:

http://www.erwinorchards.com/l ocation.html

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1741
Posted From: 67.36.21.222
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you have reasonable responses to this topic.The rest are idiotic and too dense to even bother responding to.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2740
Posted From: 4.229.105.198
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, speaking of rolling hills, there so few hills around Detroit, Wayne and Macomb County. But central/western Oakland County does have some nice rolling hills that continue on into Livingston County, as well as southward into Washtenaw County and beyond (Irish Hills).

Rolling hills is one thing that I wish we had in the inner ring suburbs and Detroit. It adds character to an area.

IMHO there are few vistas in SE Michigan as stunning as taking Plymouth Road into Ann Arbor from the north. Once you come around the bend you see the city of Ann Arbor as if perched on a hilltop, with a beautiful Romanesque church, and the Barton Tower framing the view. It reminds me of the hilltop towns of France and Italy.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1095
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Spaced I started this and then remembered.

I appreciate all the replies. Grew up in Idaho (Coeur d'Alene) and have a soft spot for some outdoor activities, particularly anything water related. Also into sporting clays, so maybe I'll have to bring my Beretta out for the weekend and go for a shoot.

I'm looking forward to spending a bit of time there. We will likely be in GP visiting family and friends, but some time will be in Brighton. We are always looking for a quaint little place to grab a snack and a drink and figured those here would have places to recommend.

Heck, I may even pass some along to her before I arrive. I'm sure she and her friends will appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks to all.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4959
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brighton is a small ex-urban city in the middle of open country in Livingston County. It's a village full of trees and hilly roads with some mixed housing development And a traditional mom and pop downtown.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2995
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several homes in Brighton many right on D-19 that proudly fly confederate flags on very tall poles.

I have even seen one that had a Dont Tread On Me flag, and that is a rich momento from the revolutionary war, it is most often used these days by white seperatists, Michigan Militia, Klan sympathizers, and other domestic terrorists.

picture
www.homelandsecurity.alabama.gov/tap/anti-gov...

Wmuchris

Post Number: 403
Posted From: 141.217.44.112
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, D-19 is not Brighton.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected, thats Howell

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected, thats Howell

Kgrimmwsu
Username: Kgrimmwsu

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.51.154.37
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've driven D-19 hundreds of times from Pinckney to Howell and I have NEVER seen a confederate flag being flown! Grand Dragon Robert E. Miles lived in Cohoctah Township not Howell, but he no longer lives in the county.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

neither have i....

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4365
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't need the confederate flag, the huge mural of the American flag on the billboard off the highways says it in more subtle words (is this thing still there?). They've learned how to be just a bit more subtle about it, that's all.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone calling out Brighton and Livingston County for not being diverse?

Like Detroit is?

Pffft, please.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be some great bass fishing on Bishop Lake in the Brighton Recreation Area. That was a long time ago, however. I don't really know if it's any good these days.

www.michigandnr.com/Publicatio ns/PDFS/RecreationCamping/brig hton_map.pdf

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 66.82.9.74
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, speaking of rolling hills, there so few hills around Detroit, Wayne and Macomb County

oh yeah, thats why we call you all *flat landers*......or Fudgies, take your pick!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4965
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago all of Livingston County was Klan country. Now it's just a memory.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, no offense, but this has WHAT to do with Detroit????? This would be a good thread to bring some traffic over to the Detroit Connections side.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.