Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit police actually responded « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 68.41.116.2
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To a breaking and entering call in Warrendale today. I was at my grandmothers funeral viewing at Sajewski Funeral home when 6 cop cars going about 50 sped by. They caught 1 guy in the act. I agree that 6 cars is kind of overkill, but it was nice to see Detroit cops actually responding to something in force.

Its funny; whenever I see Detroit cops speed by with sirens blazing, I always feel like saying "Go get those sons of bit****!" and sometimes I actually do!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.252.8.170
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news about the cops. Condolences for the loss of your Grandmother.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1859
Posted From: 69.212.230.186
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdfan:
My deepest condolence regarding your grandmother.

I am pleased, however, that DPD managed to respond in time to capture the culprit in the act. (And doubly proud that it all happened in my neighborhood.) I know that there have been a rash of B&E's in Warrendale (especially north of W. Warren Ave.). From what I've heard, they've all been the work of a single 2-man team. Hopefully, this means that at least one of them is behind bars and the other one will be joining him soon.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 68.41.116.2
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ty for your condolences, they are much appreciated. My grandma lived in Warrendale for 52 years on Archdale st. She was a longtime member of WACO and was their treasurer for many years.

I know I have mentioned it before, but I lived in warrendale for 18 years before moving with my family to Dearborn heights in 2002. Its good to see things happening in that area. I must say that the "Goodfellas Wear" plaza looks like its going to be quite nice when its done! I still get angry about all the trash and overgrown weeds tho...baby steps I guess, right? I would really like to move back someday, but that will likely not happen.

fnemecek:
I have read your blog since you started it, and even post from time to time.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7799
Posted From: 4.229.99.90
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected by Odessa.

I appreciate the info

(Message edited by jt1 on August 26, 2006)

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.43.115.70
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

The cops in Northwestern do their jobs. In your Northwestern District the police run count is usually 75-100 backlogged at any given time, it's usually higher on midnights and weekends. Breaking and Entering is a low priority run, when you figure that shootings, assaults, and domestic violence take up the majority of the police runs. Also if you figure in the fact that the police department has 1200 unfilled police officer positions, it's hard to clear up runs when they come in twice as fast as they can be cleared. Given these parameters, I think the Detroit Police do a hell of a job with the limited resources at their disposal. This ain't the burbs, it's the big bad city.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4891
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, In Chicago's neighborhoods, the Chicago Police responds to mostly white residents when any crime whether its petty or violent happens. While in Chicago's Black ghettohoods and ethnic Hispanics barriohoods, the Chicago police response is very less. When you have a mostly white city of Chicago, " THEY" call the shots. In mostly Black city of Detroit, "THEY", too call the shots.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1865
Posted From: 70.225.119.144
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also if you figure in the fact that the police department has 1200 unfilled police officer positions, it's hard to clear up runs when they come in twice as fast as they can be cleared.

This is true. It also reminds me of the time when Mayor Kilpatrick was running for re-election, after coming in second in the primary, I asked him about DPD response time.

His response was, "We need more cops."

I believe its time to start reminding the Mayor about that.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1866
Posted From: 70.225.119.144
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Ericdfan - thanks for stopping by the Warrendale Blog.

I'll have a post about this whole thread up sometime after the DSG Pub Crawl. Now, if y'all will excuse, I have to go pick-up a birthday cake for our former mayor's 166th birthday.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1889
Posted From: 69.220.233.86
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdfan:
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. There's now a post about you in the Warrendale blog.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/08/breaking-entering.htm l

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, My condolences, I probably live around the corner from your grandma's house! I am only a few blocks from my Grandmother's as well.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 122
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Do you have evidence at all to back up what you are saying???? That is the kind of post that devolves an otherwise excellent thread into a race thread.... please, give it a rest.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.