Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » All Quiet With Quicken Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2700
Posted From: 4.229.72.42
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, we've studied where a new Quicken/Rock Financial HQ should be located... ad nauseum.

During all that debate things have really quieted down on in the media. My guess is one of either 2 things are happening... 1) home loans are doing badly locally and nationally right now, therefore Quicken is staying put... OR 2) they are in serious private negotiations on a new site (hopefully in Detroit).

With all the anti-Granholm Honda ads in the media right now, the governor needs a major coup to counteract that ad.

A downtown Quicken major announcement this late summer/fall would surely help her standing against DeVos, and deflect that ad. I think she is willing to give up everything including the proverbial kitchen sink to get Quicken to relocate to downtown Detroit. Not only would it be fodder for her re-election commercials, but it would help her get more Detroiters to the polls to support her by showing them that she's bringing jobs to Detroit.

Granholm needs a strong Detroit vote badly in order to counteract her weak support in Macomb County. And she'll pull out all stops to get re-elected. And a stylish rendering of a nice gleaming Quicken Tower on the Detroit skyline would get a lot of mileage during the election.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4026
Posted From: 69.209.174.221
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make it a twofer and bring Enron to Detroit as well!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 230
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two differences:

- the Honda opportunity was to bring new jobs to the state, the Quicken opportunity is to keep jobs from moving out of state

- Quicken/Rock Financial has oversaturated the airwaves here in SE MI and unlike Honda, they may not have any "goodwill" associated with their name among undecided voters, especially with those who find themselves between a "Rock and a hard place" due to their rising ARMs and falling appraised home values.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 69.212.172.155
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She lost my vote when she couldnt get google to move into Downtown detroit. That would of been perfect in my opinion WSU, Compuware, etc.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2067
Posted From: 69.221.33.103
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I wouldn't vote for anyone based on whether or not they can MAKE a company move to a certain place. There's only so much a government can do.

I cut Jenny no slack though. It's because she, being a democrat, doesn't endorse general policy and tax schemes which ENABLE companies to move into our state/city, and add jobs. It has been too little too late...they only way she knows to enable economic development is incentives etc. usually derived from the soon to be gone SBT.

But regarding Quicken, I don't think their decision or its timing will have anything to do with the election. Perhaps a theory would be that they want a new Governor so that the market will heat up again and hopefully rub off on real estate, and will thus wait until the winter to announce any move. I wouldn't buy it. They have enough to be concerned with.

And Mikeg said it exactly right in describing how, while a Quicken HQ move to Detroit is awesome for our city, it makes our state and our job numbers no better off, unless you say that the state becomes better when its biggest city has more jobs and corporations, which is true to some extent.

All I know is that I am impatient and want to hear what they will do...and if Quicken doesn't move downtown, or in fact moves out of state, AND Granholm wins, then the Tigers better win the world series because not everything can go wrong at once.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7797
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She lost my vote when she couldnt get google to move into Downtown detroit.

One of the Google founders went to UM. The greater AA area probably has a work force that is more in line with Google's needs. The jobs are coming to the State.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 903
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt Quicken moving to downtown would be a feather in Granholm's reelection hat. Quicken moving out of state would also give DeVos more ammunition for his campaign to deflect the Amway criticism. But I doubt the election has little, if any, impact on Quicken's decision. Quicken might use the election and local economy as leverage to get the sweetest deal possible, but no way is Quicken leaving the state just so DeVos can be elected. It might, and we're talking huge conspiracy theory here, postpone its decision until after the election to screw Granholm. But if that were the case then I don't think Quicken would have even hinted at a decision this summer. Plus, Granholm has great working relationships with the state business community. She has really gone out her way to foster that type of relationship. No way Quicken goes out of its way to screw Granholm. Quicken seems much more likely to stick its neck out to help Granholm for the right deal.

If Quicken were to move to downtown before the election, it would be played up as a deal that would create thousands of jobs and how diverse Michigan's economy is becoming. Keeping Quicken isn't about retaining jobs, it's about creating new ones.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 904
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, no noise is a good thing. It probably means a deal is being worked out. If it were falling apart, something would have popped up in the media.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The housing market is falling off and interest rates are rising, nation-wide. I don't think that necessarily corresponds with HQ expansion.

I would find it far more likely that they'll just open an additional office and maintain their present locations.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh quit being such a Livonia booster, they are leaving Livonia, get over it.

Wazootyman

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, okay.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the lease on the current space was ending, and that is why they were looking for a new spot as well.

Also, as I heard it, even though the financing boom may be levelling off, they are expecting to take a bigger slice of the pie.

I saw a diagram of a big circle, the market, with a little circle in it, them. They are expecting to expand and take up more space inside the big circle.

So expansion is still possible, and IMHO on the horizon.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 24.169.224.43
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to what someone said about the Governor not getting Google to move downtown...

I don't know that DeVos' focus will be much on downtown...he's from Grand Rapids I think...for all I know, he may view Detroit as an unsalvageable dying city...

At least Gran holm has connections to Detroit from being a U.S. Attorney for the Easter Dist. and Wayne County corp. counsel

I worry that his focus will be on other parts of the state and not so much on Detroit...

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 480
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Granholm doesn't want to piss off Livonia voters or other voters across the state who think that too many tax dollars are wasted on Detroit. I kind of get the feeling that a lot of people in Michigan think that Detroit gets hand outs that it doesn't deserve, and that the state investing in the city is a waste of money.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several Fridays ago, I noticed cars being directed into the garage under the Hudson's site and also into the Compuware garage off Monroe. I asked one of the young men directing the cars what was going on and he said that Rock Financial was hosting a meeting at the State Theater for its employees.

It was a beautiful, clear afternoon. There were lots of people on the sidewalks, Campus Martius was full of life, people were eating on the sidewalk outside the Woodward Grill, the streets were clean, and downtown Detroit looked good.

Jelk

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giving interest-only mortgages to people with suspect credit. That's a sustainable business model. Even if they do sell off their loans, I don't believe Quicken is anything more than a disposable corporation. YEAH DETROIT...or Livonia...or Cleveland or whatever sucker gets these bastards.

It will be fun, these next few months, watching that first round of smart-arms come do as the economy seems to be getting worse. What the monthly mortgage payment just quadrupled and my pay and benefits have been cut! Recipe for success if I've ever heard one.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3212
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there we have it then. The guy waving cars into the garage can't be wrong.

The proverbial "man on the street" indeed!

Wazootyman

Post Number: 111

He is from Grand Rapids, and trust me, west-siders don't care much for him. I don't particularily think either candidate is worth anything.

Granholm has to worry about Livonia's vote more than Detroit's. Detroit would overwhelmingly vote for the Democrat even if their candidate was a telephone booth with a face taped to it.

Wazootyman

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did indeed have a meeting at the State Theater, followed by an private after-party at the Post in Comerica Park.

Several months back they had a meeting at the Max M. Fisher Music Center. Dan Gilbert likes to have his company-wide meetings downtown.

Jelk

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize there was a Post in Comerica Park. Then again, I've never been one for corporate motivation two-minutes hate type activities.

Wazootyman

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I could be wrong. That's what the girl told me, but I don't recall ever hearing about it otherwise.

She did originally tell me that the first meeting was at the Fisher Bldg. vs. The Max, so I wouldn't necessarily trust the location.

Maybe she meant State Bar?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman is correct. Last year a good friend of mine at Quicken was downtown a few times for those sort of events.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fifth Avenue at COPA, not the Post.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Marquee at the State said something about Quciken Loans. If they had a party afterwards they may have been at 5th Ave.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 905
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the smart money is still on Quicken moving to downtown. Now where downtown, Hudsons or Statler site, is still up for grabs in my opinion.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1114
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that smart-arm money?

Sharmaal

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh-Dush!

Susanarosa - "I'll be here all night folks. 10 o'clock show is different from the 7 o'clock show. Try the Veal. Tip your waiters".

Wazootyman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah right, yes it was 5th Avenue, that's what I meant to say.

I was confusing my "Downtown Novi" bar names.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4241
Posted From: 67.177.81.18
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why oh why from post #1 was this made into a political debate? It didn't have to be, and isn't. This issue and the Honda issue are different as many have pointed out. This is more of a local thing, than anything, if it even has anything to do with politics.

Sickening.

Mikeg

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm, maybe because it is an election year?

"All Politics is local" - Tip O'Neil

Gistok

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, before you get your knickers in a twist.. since when did the politicians start thinking logically about what to use as political ammunition for elections?

If this deal does go thru, Granholm WILL make a big deal of it for her re-election. Why? She's short on rebuttals for DeVos campaign attacks on Granholm's job success. Politicians have a way to make a meal out of a morsel.

Detroit (90% Democratic) matters more than any other city in Michigan for Granholm. Remember back in 1990 when CAY was pissed at Blanchard, and CAY stayed on the sidelines in the governors race (and didn't get out the Detroit vote)... guess who got elected.... Engler.

So all I said is that she will do her darndest to get Quicken to downtown (giving away the proverbial "store"). An out of state move would not help her reelection chances. She badly needs a recent economic success. Something that the papers will plaster all over their front pages (like the Compuware deal under Archer).

Now how pray tell, is all that sickening?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So getting QL to move downtown is going to get Detroiters excited about Granholm and is going to get the Detroit vote out? Detroiters overwelmingly vote for Democrats so she certainly wasn't going to lose votes to devos in Detroit. The idea that QL moving downtown is going to have any measurable impact at all on the number of Detroiters who vote is laughable. Obviously most people on this message board are excited about whats happening downtown, but I'm guessing that people living throughout the neighborhoods of Detroit have much bigger fish to fry than geting excited about some 3,500 people (many of them suburbanites) working downtown.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2069
Posted From: 69.221.33.103
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But a QL HQ is an "economic success" for Detroit, not our governor.

Regardless of what happens, I assure you that more Detroiters will vote for a Republican governor candidate than in the last several elections. I'll eat those words if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident about this.

Mikeg

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm rally in Detroit on 24 Aug 2006

US Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick (D-Detroit) pulls the string on "Chatty Jenny", who responded with, "Nothing should come between Detroit and Michigan but a comma!"

The performance was met with a roaring stamp of approval from the assembled crowd at the Granholm for Governor re-election rally held Thursday afternoon, Aug. 24, 2006, at Campus Martius in Detroit.

Gistok

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm could very well lose this election.

Rjk, if she appears to be bringing jobs to Detroit, then more Detroiters would vote for her, since as we know, Detroit is hurting.

I don't think that Detroiters are going to vote for DeVos in very large numbers. If anything, they'll stay away from the poles, hence my comment about 1990 and Engler. That year Detroiters stayed away from the poles, and Engler won.

She's got to do more to get the (ever shrinking) Detroit vote out in order to have a shot at beating DeVos.

And of course she can't ignore the rest of the region, or show that she's too chummy with Detroit, a balancing act, at best.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1186
Posted From: 35.11.221.92
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Jenny!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 618
Posted From: 69.216.143.252
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Please Go!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1189
Posted From: 35.11.221.92
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hah

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 583
Posted From: 35.12.21.191
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll echo Gistok's comments. In an at-large election you can never have too many votes. Granholm can't take the Detroit vote for granted; sure, most Detroiters won't vote for DeVos, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll vote for Granholm if she's invisible. She needs to be out there shaking hands and working the churches.

Tonym
Username: Tonym

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 207.181.6.226
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny is a Godsend compared to Engler when it comes to Detroit Love. Remember Engler? He loathed the city as I recall.

Gistok

Post Number: 2708
Posted From: 4.229.90.34
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I didn't care for Engler either, he did do one thing that most forumers probably agree with. Making the former GM HQ in New Center the State Of Michigan Office Building.

Granted, it emptied out other buildings, but having an empty former GM Building would have really been bad for New Center.

Ever since I visited the State of Illinois Center in Chicago (a 17 story modern round building with an atrium going up all 17 stories), I had always wished that the State of Michigan would have a grand office building in Detroit. Well now they do!

Burnsie

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 35.9.3.86
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I'll add, Gistok, is that it should have been called the Durant Building. That was what the GM Building was originally supposed to be named before Billy Durant lost control of the company for the second time. Indeed, the letter "D" is carved into the stone at several locations near the top.

The name Cadillac has gotten plenty of exposure, but Durant has never gotten nearly the credit nor recognition he deserves. Granted, he proved better at putting companies together rather than running them. But the average person nowadays probably doesn't have a clue who Durant was.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1295
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well for a state building Cadillac (as in Antoine, not GM) is more appropriate

Burnsie

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 35.12.20.235
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why? Yes, I know that the building was named after Cadillac the founder and not Cadillac the car. But Durant would have been just as appropriate, if not moreso. He was just as crucial to the history of this state as Cadillac was. Cadillac has already had the car division named after him, Cadillac Square, Cadillac Tower, the Book-Cadillac Hotel, the city of Cadillac, etc.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durant just doesn't roll off the tongue like Cadillac. :-) Sounds a little too blunt. But, if you want to you can come visit Durant Park in downtown Lansing with the Durant Memorial Arch.

Burnsie

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 35.12.20.235
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan-- Yep, I've driven by the Durant Park arch several times. I gather that it was restored/spruced up recently. One reason I've always been aware of how Durant is nearly forgotten is that I grew up in Flint and was reading about him by the time I was in 3rd grade. Basically the first abandoned building that fascinated me was Flint's Durant Hotel.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your Durant is alot like how Oldsmobile is revered here in Lansing, still.

Yeah, Durant Arch was recently restored, it is has a really classy sign lit at night, now. It's really kind of ironic, because it can not be seen coming down 1-way Saginaw as the sign points the other way. lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.