Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Better Buses Woodward. Quality transit for the Woodward Corridor. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 65.92.150.23
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my latest idea for Detroit when it comes to transit. Please take alook at my idea, and tell me what you think.

This plan below I think would work great as a primer, untill LRT can be built. The plan below could be started up in no time and with little new funding needed, and DDOT and SMART could share the service. Anyway take a look. To see the map click on the following link.

To see a map of the Woodward Rapid Bus Click Here.

BETTER BUSES WOODWARD
IMPROVING TRANSIT SERVICE IN THE WOODWARD CORRIDOR
WITH QUALITY BUS SERVICE!

WHAT WILL BETTER BUSES WOODWARD BE?

Better Buses Woodward will be a partnership between DDOT and SMART to provide seamless quality bus service in the Woodward Ave corridor between downtown Detroit and Pontiac/Great Lakes Crossings.

DDOT and SMART will use their current Woodward Ave buses to provide a seamless rapid bus and local bus service along the entire Woodward Ave stretch. Buses will have special paint schemes, and by sharing the service, DDOT and SMART will be able to provide better service then is provided now.

WHAT WILL THE NEW WOODWARD AVE BUS SERVICE OFFER?

The new Woodward Ave bus service will feature the following.

-THE WOODWARD AVE RAPID BUS SERVICE

Providing limited stop rapid bus service along the entire Woodward Corridor from the Renaissance Centre to Sommerset Collection, Downtown Pontiac, and Great Lakes Crossings. The Woodward Ave Rapid Bus service will be a primer for future LRT service in the Woodward Corridor, and will cut travel times for commuters.

MAX WAIT OF 15 MIN FOR A RAPID BUS, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK, SOUTH OF BIG BEAVER ROAD.

The hallmark of the Rapid Bus service, will be frequent service. Rapid buses will pass rapid bus stops south of Big Beaver Road, every 15min or less, seven days a week. While rapid buses to Sommerset Collection and north of Big Beaver Road, will provide service every 30min or better, seven days a week.

RAPID BUS STATIONS

Forget waiting on the corner with no shelter or seating. Rapid bus stops will feature large shelters, seating areas, landscaping, and timetables for rapid bus service, and connecting local bus service.

-THE WOODWARD AVE LOCAL SERVICE

Are you worried you don't live within walking distance of a rapid bus stop? Well don't. Woodward Ave will still be served by improved local bus services. Two routes will provide a local bus service along Woodward Ave that will stop at all designated bus stops at and inbetween rapid bus stops. A WOODWARD SOUTH LOCAL route will run between downtown Detroit and the Royal Oak Transit Centre, while a WOODWARD NORTH LOCAL route will provide service from Royal Oak Transit Centre to Downtown Pontiac. Service on each route will run every 30min or better seven days a week.

-THE WOODWARD EXPRESS. FLYING YOU ACROSS THE WOODWARD CORRIDOR

Rapid bus is great. But sometimes you need something a little faster. Well don't worry, because two new EXPRESS routes will get you to downtown Detroit as fast as driving. One EXPRESS route will provide express bus service from Great Lakes Crossing and Downtown Pontiac to Downtown Detroit. While a second EXPRESS rotue will provide express bus service from Sommerset Collection and Oakland Mall to downtown Detroit. Park and Ride will be offered at Great Lakes Crossing, Sommerset Collection, and Oakland Mall. Express bus service will run every 60min or better Mon-Fri, with additional services during rush hours and during special events in downtown Detroit.

BETTER BUSES WOODWARD
BRINGING QUALITY BUS SERVICE YOU CAN RELY ON,
TO THE WOODWARD CORRIDOR.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 68.73.192.206
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have enough buses toronto, we need mass transit, maybe a bigger people mover and a passenger train.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busses are mass transit. Mass transit is a system, not a mode.

Woodward is in the SEMCOG Transit Plan.
http://www.semcog.org/Products/pdfs/transitplan10-01.pdf

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on August 24, 2006)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1493
Posted From: 63.157.67.227
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feel free to use my image for your promotional material. (1910 Grabowsky bus made on Mt Elliot)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 71.159.22.100
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ren Cen to Great Lakes? Does that trip come with honey roasted peanuts and bad service?

I applaud the effort though, and it's safe to say we're all waiting for mass transit/better bus lines.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, Genesyxx... Nope, due to transit budget woes the company is forced to charge $3 for peanuts and $5 for a sandwich. The complimentary drink is still... complimentary but you only get one sip.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 69.14.17.198
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is exactly what this city needs now and has been needing for the past 40 years. Yet, i want more...we need rail links so you can hop from train to bus or from train to tram. European systems should be our model but that requires a change of mindset...out of cars and into the public transport. After some 40+ trips to Amsterdam, I know every inch of that city and never once have set foot into a car or taxi...always busses and trams. Sometimes I wonder how I would get to downtown Detroit via bus, say, from Birmingham or Royal Oak and the mere thought of endless waiting in depressing shelters is enough to force back into the car or, worse yet, simply not going into the city. The other HUGE hurdle is getting off the concept that mass transit is for the poor, the down trodden, the under class... Yes, we need REAL MASS TRANSIT for this region to survive. Unfortunately, I don't see a viable transit system in our near future. I wish this weren't the case but I fear that it is the reality.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 35.12.21.179
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Trainman would have weighed in by now...Guess we'll have to wait to the next millage election for that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.