Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Questions from the Mailbag « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2891
Posted From: 66.167.211.213
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I frequently get and enjoy random emails from our audience but often don't have the answers. So I toss this up the forum who will.

Also the outside visitor view tour they offer is very interesting.

quote:

We were in Detroit last month for two nights and one day of exploring, so created this page...

http://www.lasersol.com/heartl and_5.html

The reason I am contacting you now is for some assistance in clarifying some facts/photos. All the photos you see were taken over a period of four hours and I did not have all my notes/addresses with me. I wasn't sure if we would have a chance to make the exploring trip so wasn't super prepared.

I knew about Henry Ford's house in the Edison District, but did not have an address. We asked a Postal lady for the location but she had her hand on her Mace the whole time as she pointed us the direction. We were close, but we did not get Ford's house. I'm not sure if that is Edison's house or not.

The other place that I am checking is 542 Michigan Ave. This is where Dr. George Goodheart discovered Applied Kinesiology. I think that I got the correct building, but need it verified. We looked for addresses, but could not see any. Today, there is a high-rise next door and not sure if the building was replaced or that I am correct in that the boarded up building is 542 Michigan Ave. Can you verify?

Any chance that you have a photo of Ford's and Edison's homes that I may use with a link back to your site?

Thanks again and I continue to enjoy your websites.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I do not have the answers to the specific questions posed, I would say thanks for the great tour and, respectfully suggest that you change the caption on the photo showing the sun over South Detroit... it is generally known as southwest Detroit or Downriver.

The band Journey took a fair share of abuse for talking about South Detroit in a song some years ago.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6391
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't AIW and Goat live in South Detroit?! Heh.

I love that quip about the mail lady with her hand on the Mace. They must've been scary white people.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1487
Posted From: 63.157.60.55
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the 1921 Sanborn for 542 Michigan, it shows a small two story, storefront there, nothing like the building pictured on that web page. There was a furniture store on each end of the block, and the Salvation Army Citadel on the 2nd St corner. Not much help here.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2762
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, looking at my 1940 directory, 542 Michigan Avenue is listed as "Schafer's Tasty Food". Bread bakery or grocery store?

Plan B: Dr. George Goodheart, D.C. is listed in my 1961 and 1967 phone books at 542 Michigan Building. Bagley & Clifford?

(three Martini lunch)

(Message edited by MikeM on August 24, 2006)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1513
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Henry Ford house in Boston-Edison is located at 160 Edison.

Even though he grew up in Port Huron (born in Milan, Ohio), I've never heard that Thomas Edison ever lived in the Detroit area. Of course, he visited here, and Edison Street was named for him, probably so his friend Henry Ford could live on that street!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 70.227.219.108
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM,

Where do you get those phone books?

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed that page, and I love discovering Detroit's little-known connections to important historical events... but Applied Kinesiology"? Sheesh... If Mr. Goodheart is still alive, I would like to see him apply for James Randi's $1 million prize...

Mikem

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One on eBay, one at an antique store. Same with the Polk's city directories; eBay and a used book store.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 66.32.224.70
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. You are being a great help. Thank you Lowell. I expected a reply and now I'm in the midst of the forum! Yikes!

Have changed caption to correctly identify Downriver. I should've known as we took a walk in the park down by the Wyandotte Hospital. Big river!! Nice breeze and fun watching the boats.

Yes, Edison and Ford were big friends. Make sure you check out all the links. The story about Ford, Edison and Firestone camping is a really funny story. According to the story, Ford worked for Edison. Remind me of my Martha Berry story!

Thank you about for the clarification of the 542 Michigan Building!! What is this address of this building? Obviously, I incorrectly translated that to 542 Michigan Ave.

About Goodheart and AK. Did electricity exist before good ole Ben Franklin flew his kite? Some people still say it doesn't exist and live in the dark. Randi has no part in the discussion, if he did, he would be part of the standard FDA testing process.

The essence is that Goodheart is a Detroit treasure. He is still alive and he has made the world a better place for millions around the globe. He is a modest man and of small stature, but he has a heart of gold and a wonderful mind. The techniques may be controversial, but this man's accomplishments should not be taken lightly. Goodheart's accomplishments are probably appreciated more around the world than they are in Detroit.

The postal carrier in Highland Park was very nice. Her hand on the mace was distracting, and she was being very careful but...we ain't scary!

Thanks again everyone,

PeachLaser

Mikem

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Building is at 220 Bagley.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6397
Posted From: 66.227.213.127
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PL,

Welcome...I was just making light of the racial tension, that is one of my 'jobs' here. Heh.

Cheers!

Peachlaser

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 66.32.240.185
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone just sent me this link from the Sydney, Australia newspaper... http://www.smh.com.au/news/alt ernative-health/the-bones-of-c ontention/2006/08/23/115601260 5627.html As I said, yes, it is controversial in some parts, but AK is used worldwide and it all started in Detroit.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 66.32.170.250
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like I am now in need of three photos:

1. The Michigan Bldg. at 220 Bagley

2. Henry Ford's House at 160 Edison in Highland Park

3. Thomas Edison's house across from Ford's house in Highland Park Edison District

Will anyone on this list be willing to provide me with these photos? It's a long drive back to take just these. : (

Your assistance will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Peachlaser

Kathleen

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser:

What you are calling the Edison District in Highland Park is actually the Boston-Edison Historic District in Detroit. This neighborhood is located in Detroit about a 1/2 mile south of the southern edge of Highland Park on Woodward Avenue.

As for a photo of Henry Ford's home at 160 Edison, I'll try to scan one or two shots that I've taken. What's your email address?

Re: an Edison home in the neighborhood, as I stated above, I have never heard anything about Edison ever living in Detroit. (I read the article you linked to, but didn't see such a reference. Can you point me to where you've seen it mentioned?) I will check my Boston-Edison files and, if necessary, get in touch with the B-E historian to see what he knows.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1357
Posted From: 84.162.1.131
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, i have a correction for you all: The Ford House is at 140 Edison Street In Detroit. That is in Boston-Edison, which is not in Highland Park. How do I know this? The lady who lives in the house is my friend and lawyer. I have been sending her letters and post cards from my adventures, and this thread freaked me out about her address, so I called her about 3 minutes ago and confirmed the address. Her husband is also the president of the T-plex group. They are very involved in preserving Ford History in Detroit.

So, Peachlaser...Boston-Edison is not in Highland Park, it is in Detroit. I used to live in the neighborhood.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe and Kathleen...on the same wavelength...two continents apart!!! Hi!!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on August 25, 2006)

Mikem

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you're under the impression that since there is an Edison Avenue, that Thomas actually lived there. I'm not aware of Edison living any closer to Detroit than Port Huron.

Cafe

Post Number: 1358
Posted From: 84.162.1.131
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy sweetie! I was looking at my pictures you sent me yesterday too!

Peachlaser

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 66.32.234.38
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again everyone. I see that I have some work to do.

Hmmm... the Thomas Edison story started with the Postal Lady. I had asked for directions to Ford's home and she offered, "and Thomas Edison lived right across the street." I just asked my wife what she remembers and she said, "Yes, she told us that. And then we stopped to ask directions from a man in front of his house. He said that Edison's house was over on the corner and pointed to it like he knew right where it was."

I just rechecked a page from Detroit's history and it does not mention Edison living in the neighborhood. Combining the comments of the direction-givers, the name of the neighborhood and then the story of Ford and Edison going camping together made it seem real plausible.

Is the 'Edison' in Boston-Edison, Thomas Edison or someone else?

Really confused now!

Peachlaser

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser,

According to ( http://www.randi.org/research/ faq.html#2.3 ), Applied Kinesiology qualifies for Randi's $1 million prize. If it works, I encourage Mr. Goodheart or another proponent of AK to win the money, use it to benefit humanity, and prove the skeptics wrong.

I'm serious. If a proponent of AK coming to Detroit next summer applies for the prize ( http://www.randi.org/research/ challenge.html ), I would be willing to assist in arranging the necessary preliminary test. Just let me know.

--Paul ( five_khandhas [at] yahoo [dot] com )

Cafe

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 84.162.4.142
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston-Edison is the name of the neighborhood. The borders of the neighborhood include, Boston Blvd and Edison Street. Hence the name Boston-Edison. I know nothing of Thomas Edison living in the Neighborhood, but I would imagine that the street was named after him. Ford's house in on Edison Street and has a huge sign marking the house which is also in front of Voigt park. The house across the street has no sign.

This site talks about many famous residents in Boston-Edison and there is no mention of Thomas Edison, there is mention of Ty Cobb.

http://www.neighborhoodlink.co m/detroit/hbe/history.html

Sorry, looks like the Postal lady was just wrong.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then again, the postal lady may be right.

She would certainly know the names of the folks who live(d) on her route. A quick search on the Internet shows 16 people with listed phone numbers and the surname "Edison" who currently live in Detroit.

It's not like there was only one Thomas Edison who ever lived, you know ;-)

(Message edited by Mikeg on August 25, 2006)

Cafe

Post Number: 1361
Posted From: 84.162.60.153
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1520
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smartpages.com shows 19 people with the surname Edison living in the city of Detroit, but none appear to live anywhere within the Boston-Edison district.

I think there was just some misunderstanding about the location of Henry Ford's house being on the corner of Edison and Second.

Peachlaser: I have photos of the Henry Ford House on Edison that I can email to you if you care to post your email address.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 66.32.200.73
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick - Randi's challenge is to "provide evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event". So, Randi will pay $1 million if someone can scientifically prove that God exists or that the string theory is valid? Do you know if Randi is an atheist? I guess Randi would have ridiculed Einstein for searching for the unified field theory? AK is in good company.

I would rather see the National Institutes of Health and the National Standard from Cambridge in Detroit next summer or, at the least, neutral scientific enquiry performing serious scientific studies rather than Randi. The people in AK and energy kinesiology are not afraid of formal scientific study, it has been a question of building studies and instruments that can actually prove or disprove techniques. It is OK to be skeptical and prudent, but being close-minded cuts off the possibility of a lot of scientific discovery and I think that is where Randi operates.

For example, there is much that science in general does not know about how the brain works. There is fairly good understanding of how a dog can wag his tail, but there is not as much understanding about how things work if you step on a dog's tail and it makes the other end bark!

There is scientific knowledge and understanding for 80% of what AK does. With the other 20%, there are guidelines that have been in place for thousands of years and we can get predictable results. You or I can do A & B, then reliably the result will be C. How this works is the question we would all like to know. The fact that it does work predictably is the most important to us right now. Skeptics seem to want to discount 100% of AK because of the 20% that is unknown. If this is the standard, the same standard should be used to judge all modern medical practices.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser: Check your email. Photos have been sent.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 66.32.151.35
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen! Henry Ford's house photo has been added.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 69.212.59.61
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the red sandstone church that is described as being vacant is currently in use. It is the Ecumenical Theological Seminary http://www.etseminary.org/...

Peachlaser

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 66.32.152.28
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detour! Changes made.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, if you would like to identify the church in the photo with this accompanying text:

"We passed several magnificent churches as we traveled along Woodward Ave...."

This is Blessed Sacrament Cathedral, the home of the Archdiocese of Detroit; lots of info at:
http://www.aodonline.org/AODOn line/Offices+and+Ministries+12 009/Cathedral+of+the+Most+Bles sed+Sacrament+8330/Cathedral+o f+the+Most+Blessed+Sacrament.h tm

And three photos below that, the apartment building is called the Highland Towers.

Hope that helps!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 68.96.231.230
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1910 census shows Henry Ford with wife Clara J. and son Edsel B. Ford living at 66 Edison Street, Detroit (don't forget this was before the renumbering of Detroit streets). One servant

At 54 Edison was James Knox, an Advertising executive, his wife, and two daughters. Also one servant.

At 41 Edison was Horace Rackham, his wife, and a servant. He lists himself as an Attorney. I had thought he was an Engineer. Shows what I know.

At 40 Edison was Oliver (?) White, his wife, daughter, and brother in law plus a servant. The name is not familiar to me and the occupation is badly blurred on the census report.

At 75 Edison is Walter Hartman, a Broker, along with his wife and a host of servants.

At 30 Edison is Henry P. Borgman, his wife, and a half-dozen kids along with a servant. He shows himself to be a Bank Cashier.

There is one more address listed; 35 Edison, but I can't make out the name. Looks like White, but not sure.

Of all the above, the only name I recognize (besides Ford) is Horace Rackham, due to his name on the Rackham Building.

In the 1920 and 1930 census reports, Henry and Clara Ford are in their Fairlane Estate in Dearborn, where they lived until their deaths.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on August 28, 2006)

Peachlaser

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 66.32.223.27
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again Kathleen and thanks Ray. Yes, all of your input has been very helpful and I've been making the changes and additions as I receive them. Keep them coming. Anyone out there able to get me a photo of the Michigan Building?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.