Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Gratiot ave.'s Vintage Underappreciated « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.215.244.78
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm posting this forum to get someones opinion on the vintage all along Gratiot ave. Its in my opinion, underappreciated vintage, Faygo fact., Better Made fact., Eastern Market, City Airport, Macomb Mall, etc.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 398
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vintage what??? I don't understand your question.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 69.246.19.24
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum D Town.
I appreciate Gratiot. But what do you mean by Vintage?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 65.92.146.147
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always found Gratiot Ave to be a very interesting spoke road. One of the reasons is the name. Its very interesting.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3209
Posted From: 68.248.42.207
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that where the grapes of wrath are stored?

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1005
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh!?

Livedog2

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he means the great old stuff that still remains too much we lament on how seven and gratiot is gone. He may just be reminding us of all the stuff that is still there.

Dtown1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, detroit planner, your exactly right, feel free to mention more underappreciated vintage if you can think of nay, like the ones i mentioned in my original message.

It's also, an easy access street for northeast side commuters to enter in andd out the CBD. Its about a 15 minute ride overall wiith traffic to and from downtown Detroit ( Without express way).

Gratiot is very interesting its was once a main indian hutnting trail and now its on my opinion, one of the busisest non-express highway in SE Michigan

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 23, 2006)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6373
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1,

You'll find our confusion stems from your using an adjective as a noun...although vintage 'can' be a noun in that state it is almost ALWAYS referring to some part or process of winemaking.

Vintage isn't anything by itself, and we cannot understand what you're saying...but we get the gist of it.

(Ham_Steve, you're not helping much, LOL, 'stomping out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored' does NOT make 'vintage' where they are kept! For those who missed it, he was quoting the Battle Hymn of the Republic)

Vintage architecture...neighborhoods.. .automobiles...wine...all of those nouns can be described by the adjective 'vintage'.

Enough of the English lesson...

I never knew how busy Gratiot WAS until I moved down here...being a west-sider and all...but at least that four miles to I-94 is just bonkers. For a short while when I was dating a woman from Mt. Clemens I took it all the way in a couple times just for fun...so I would agree, it is the SECOND busiest spoke in the city...Woodward HAS to get the nod for busiest.

M-DOT has those traffic flow numbers for State Roads, so whoever has access to them can post so we'll know for sure.

There ARE some pretty amazing buildings on that street...my favorite HAS to be that two-story all-white marble one about a half mile north-east of Vernor (I think)...what an amazing structure, to me it is as beautiful and impressive as that GAR castle over on Grand River.

That has all the vintage you can handle...architecture, marble, panache...you name it...it is just cool.

Michigan Avenue was also an Indian trail...all the way to Chicago, if I remember my Dearborn Historical Museum lecture well...my guess is that Grand River was, too.

Geez, maybe the spoke idea WASN'T some concept copied from whatever plan that was...since the guy was European he could've simply usurped the Native traditions and called them his own. Wouldn't be the first time...

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1477
Posted From: 63.157.65.169
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Dtown1, if you go to this link and do a keyword search for Gratiot, you'll find lots of vintage photos. Maybe it will help you identify some of them.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?c=vmc

Dtown1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, your right about Michigan, but Grand River was an actual river that dried up. so they turned it into a street and named it Grand River. However, all the other avenues were indian hunting trails

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand River Avenue - History

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Dtown1.

One of my favorite old buildings on Gratiot is the Mark Twain Library between Seneca and Burns. It is in the monumental Tudor Revival style: a true Palace of Reading. Unfortunately, it has fallen into a state of disrepair and decay in recent years. I think the building has asbestos issues and that's a main reason for its present condition. Inside, there are four major rooms and several fireplaces. It used to be filled with comfortable old oak furniture.

The Parkman Branch on Oakman Blvd. is of a similar style and monumentality. The Parkman, however, is in good repair.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1134
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Mt. Elliot a mountain that suddenly went flat??

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 69.246.19.24
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Psip,

But Jefferson was formed when Thomas Jefferson wanted to walk from the Ren Cen to St. Clair Shores.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1135
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Always wondered about that.
:-)

Dtown1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr, I ride pass that every day coming to and from my gmom house/downtown. I wondered why it was always so vacant, ty. Oh, by the way, remember the brief tornado that appeared at the Harper/Gratiot imtersection, I cant remember what year, but their was some damage to be seen, nothing drastic though. It was likely the same tornado that touched down in the points and Chandler Park (before water park/golf course)

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 141.217.226.162
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to give some love to Gratiot Vintage in the form of St. Joesph's Church. I've just discovered the place and it's amazing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2691
Posted From: 4.229.81.69
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Joseph's supposedly has Detroit's tallest church spire.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like some of the new stuff on Gratiot as well. Personally I like the Blvd from Downtown to Eastern Market. It is a was a great addition. I also like the Art Van Center.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1229
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those German ladies are still making blood-tongue sausage the old fashioned way at Alexander & Hornung's at Harper & Gratiot.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1882
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some underappreciated vintage buildings along Gratiot that I've always liked are in Roseville's downtown. Yes, Roseville once had a downtown and the buildings and infrastructure are still there. The intersection of Gratiot and Utica Road is their downtown. Chester Boot Shop, a great Catholic Church, a theater and more make up what could become a Ferndalesque redevelopment.

Downtown Mt. Clemens is also loaded with lots of great old buildings and some pretty decent newer ones as well.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 592
Posted From: 71.213.227.125
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This little gem is one of my favorites; an art deco storefront just north (east) of Russell Street.

The facade, and from what I can see of the interior, appear to actually be in great condition; I believe the place is owned by Butcher & Packer Supply Co. I'd love to buy it from them one of these days.

Gratiot

Dtown1

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 75.7.135.95
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any say or questions on the Harper/Gratiot Tornado. The issue was, this tornado struck duirng normal business hours for the shops in that area. I would post a forum, but it might be too much

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 12.159.57.2
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This little gem is one of my favorites; an art deco storefront just north (east) of Russell Street.

The facade, and from what I can see of the interior, appear to actually be in great condition; I believe the place is owned by Butcher & Packer Supply Co. I'd love to buy it from them one of these days."

As far as I know this is still owned by and rented through Rocky Peanut - I almost moved in there a few years ago (and am now kicking myself repeatedly) but there was only a toilet in the basement and no other plumbing/bathroom facilities. At the time I was seeing the unit as my primary residence and not just studio space, so the bathroom thing was a big issue unfortunately.

The upstairs has beautiful, ornate sculpted plaster archways and the downstairs as been partially remodeled into a recording studio. It is even equipped with an iso booth - it was one of the original Transmat spaces (please correct me if I am wrong with the history here).

It was something like 700 or 900 for the whole thing about 3 years ago, at the time it was just myself and that was a bit prohibitive.

It doesn't look like the current tenants are doing much with it.

I'm signing off now so I can continue kicking myself. Repeatedly.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 593
Posted From: 71.213.227.125
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, good stuff Toybreaker. When your foot gets tired, I can lend you one... :-)

Yeah, I love that little building, I figured it must be pretty nice inside. At least the upside is, it sounds as if Rocky P-nut or whomever owns it, isn't letting it completely rot and is giving it at least a modicum of maintenance.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2698
Posted From: 4.229.81.188
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That tornado was a late afternoon occurrence. Many chimney's had the top knocked over on the eastside (Chandler Park area). And many many tree limbs were knocked down in Grosse Pointe/Grosse Pointe Farms.

And of course there was the tragedy of the non-English speaking family visiting the Grosse Pointe Farms Pier, and were blown into the water along with the pavilion that they were sheltered under. Apparently they didn't understand that severe weather was coming, and I believe 6 in the family died.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tornado flipped over the abandoned Police Mini-Station trailer at Gratiot and Harper.

Dtown1

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.212.172.155
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH yeah, what about the former Grand dimitri. I believe its vintage in itself. The spinning thing out on the corner and the old-style restaurant inside the building. Now Natioanl coney Island Owns it, however, they did keep a lot of the vintage though, they just put their name on the building. Also, remember the old Dixie Barbecue restaurant on Gratiot and 10 mile. They just tore the building down recently. However, the sign is still standing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.